Down Showdown 95 mini review

Me 5 10, 190 in Lange RX130. Skis mounted on line (TC -10). Conditions were a few degrees below freezing on mixed man made/natural hard packed snow. I prefer a high pace on piste and my carv to slarv ratio is about 20:1.

Since posting SD95 pics in the Down Skis groupbuy thread I've received a couple of PM questions regarding these skis. My reply to those have been somewhat hesitating as I did not (at least I thought I did not) totally like my binding setup for the first few days I skied them last season. To guys asking I replied:

"They've pretty much lived up to Down's claims. I haven't had them out in any pow as of yet and not sure I ever will. As a matter of fact I have only three days totally on them as of today, all frontside. I have moved for work and now have limited snowy mountain access. Also, these are for me dedicated frontside skis, albeit with some off piste qualities.

Overall, they perform really great. But with my current setup, they are on the verge of being too turny for my likes. Especially when entering carved turns when carrying some speed. I run mine with Sth2 clamps (and Lange Rx 130). I find the binding delta/ramp to be a little on the steep side, which also contributes to them wanting to eagerly engage turns, so I'm actually just now installing 2 mm shims under the toes in order to tune down those tendencies a bit.

The wide (and longish) tails are great for holding and finishing a carved turn but I suspect they can be felt when skiing off piste. They are still easy enough to skid but it takes some effort to break out from a high angle carving turn. I have increased the base bevel, on the (short) rockered tail portion, to two degrees. Otherwise the ride is damp and quiet just like I want it to be. Crud is no problem for them. I wouldn't say they have a speed limit as such, but I have to be gentle when getting them up on edge when going fast because the front ends bite and they bite fast! Again, I reckon the toe shims will cure that. It's a lot of personal preference of course, but if going with a more neutral delta binding such as Wardens, Attacks or Jesters I don't think think one would experience those tendencies at all.

The build reveals that they're from an indy ski producer. They have some of those "homebuilt" details which you don't see on major brand's skis. For example, the transition between the slanted sidewall portions (mid ski) and vertical (tip and tail) looks like it have been made using a free hand technique and in my view not very successful, especially the transition towards the tails... I would't be surprised to see that this is different from one pair to another though.

All in all, very interesting and capable skis, they will serve me well once I get the bindings set up the way I like it."

I have since then installed BF inserts and shimmed the toes 2 mm, and yesterday I finally got to ride them. Most of the above still stands. Below are additional.

Happily I must admit the shims provided exactly the changes I was after. Because of that, I do feel somewhat obligated also to revise my view on them. Driven from a centered stance they are frontside dream skis. Tips now engage gradually and the twitchyness is all gone. Transition between carving and skidding is a breeze, tails hold great but they don't have to be forced out of a locked carve like for instance Ross E100. Speed limit, no need to worry about speed limit. I retrospect, I'm glad I did not detune the tips/increasing edge bevel angle prior to installing the shims, as I found edge engagement to be perfect along the whole contact length.

So, new all in all, they are truly capable and my new frontside favorites, definitely keepers, and I can live with their quirky sidewall looks. Thanks Down

Thanks for the review. I am still waiting for mine from this past group buy or even a return email from Geo would be nice. I have a pair of Wardens waiting to mount was thinking on the line as well I have a pair CD 110 from a TGR buy 2 seasons ago with Kingpins that I really like as a travel ski.

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Thanks for the review. I am still waiting for mine from this past group buy or even a return email from Geo would be nice. I have a pair of Wardens waiting to mount was thinking on the line as well I have a pair CD 110 from a TGR buy 2 seasons ago with Kingpins that I really like as a travel ski.
    I hope they'll turn up soon and you get to ski them, they're a blast (at least) for smooth frontsideing!

Mine are on the way Reserving this spot for thoughts (and to remind my forgetful ass to post something).
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.