Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Who makes the perfect softshell ski pants??

On the lookout for some new softshell
    pants for touring and spring resort skiing. My current stoic pants are starting to die.

The Perfect Pant would be:
    - Light stretchy breathable fabric, like 90% wind blocking.
    - side vents
    - beacon pocket
    - bacon pocket
    - waterproof/reinforced fabric on knees, ass, and cuffs.
    - Not a baggy snowpant. Not super rando slim. Fit like a Levi 505s....

I tried on some Pata descensionist pants today. The fit was pretty baggy. Also, there is no way I am paying 3L price for a H2No pant.. $380!?!?!

The old OR Trailbreaker seems money but it's not made anymore.

Any ideas?

OR Skyward?
    Black Diamond Dawn Patrol?
    Rab Upslope?
    Try to find some old Trailbreakers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Arcterxy procline
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Arcterxy procline
    That's what I clicked in to say. Doesn't have the reinforced knees and ass, but you gotta love everything else:
    https://www.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/...ocline-fl-pant

I would add to the list coming in a color other than black.

The BD Dawn Patrols are pretty slim fitting and the fabric is pretty light. No beacon pocket either. I have a pair I rarely wear except hot spring days. I also tried on the Descensionist and thought the fit was comically baggy. I think the cuffs would cover my size 29 TLT6 boots except for the toes.

The OR Trailbreaker isn’t perfect but comes as close as I’ve seen. They tick most of the boxes and have a good middle of the road fit. I don’t like the Velcro waist adjustment but that’s my only real complaint. I would much prefer a simple internal belt or low profile belt loops. What gives you the impression they’re discontinued? I bought a pair a month ago from OR and they’re still on their website: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e.../2430390001010

The Arcteryx Proclines look nice too but haven’t seen them in person.

I'm in the market for the same.

Best I have tried on so far is the Dynafit Mercury pant. There are two versions, one is windstopper, the other is lighter fabric. I think the windstoppers will be good for touring round here (BC coast range)

Got most of the things you are looking for.

Arc'teryx

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Black Diamond Recon. I have the pants you're looking for in an old Cloudveil model, my buddy at BD suggested the BD Recon as a replacement once they finally die. Can be found reasonably on sale since being discontinued.

2nd Dynafit Mercury Pro.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Also stoked on the Arc'teryx Procline FL.

wool
    watch out for snakes

I’ve been very happy with my Dynafit Chugach pants, and my wife’s new Patagonia Snowdrifters (similar too but better value than the Proclines) are pretty nice. I found that that OR Trailbreakers fitted short and wide, and that the “waterproof” lower leg material was so delicate that its was shredded within a season. These seem worth checking out: http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/M...e-Pants-Review

I have both the Mtn Hardware pants and bibs. Of these two I have worn the pants the most and they have pretty good function and performance.

I would probably sell my bibs, size large I think, if anybody is interested. I only used them a handful of times, I run too hot for bibs.
    watch out for snakes

I love the Rab stuff. I’ve had a pair of their soft shells for 5 years and they are awesome for your stated needs and seemigly indestructible.

I have the Dynafit Mercury Jacket not the pants, but that is a very nice, no frills piece. I would look at the pants based on my satisfaction with the jacket.

Bought 4 years ago a pair of Hagloff soft shell pants with suspenders off STP. Do not have the waterproof pieces you mention, but they are incredibly nice pants. Been sewing them to prolong their life. Have a pair of Rab softshells I bought as backup cheap, but only used once.

Procline FL's are, in fact, close to perfect. I bought them because my wife's boss had access to 70% off Arcteryx for some reason and let us get in on his order. Now that I have the pants I'd be willing to pay close to retail for them. There is nothing technically remarkable about them. But every little detail is spot on, from fit, to fabric, to cuffs, to pockets, to the little hook for tightening the waist.

I had the fury before the procline which I loved but the Windstopper material in the crotch delamed (mostly from use) so they gave me full refund ... So I bought the procline you gotta love it when you get your money back after 5 yrs

Every little detail is refined, mesh backing on the vents, the belt is better, the gaiters work better even with accommodating an open Vulcan/PW boot top, the suspenders are the same/great,

only thing that's a little dumb is only having 3 pockets when the fury had 4 but no bigey its a well executed albeit expensive piece

I also got some Patagonia, in comparison what I noticed about pockets is the Proclines hip pockets havehorizontal openings are better than the Patagucci vertical opennnings becuz stuff doesn't fall out and it leaves more room on the leg for the designers to put longer vent zippers for more venting

The Patagucci piss zip that opens bottom to top for a piss is genius in theory but in practise the opening is too small

I'm skinny so lack of suspenders on the Patgonia also was not ideal, the hook belt is ok but the Procline hook belt is much better

SO ime its about details and not just having good ideas but in how they are executed
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah, I liked the Procline removable suspenders so much I sewed elastic tabs on my Saber hardshell pants and use them on both.

So if they aren't bibs... what's the beacon pocket?

I want something similar, but I would never get non bib pants. I almost never wear a jacket with my bibs. The Mercury and proclines look great, maybe I can get a seamstress to stich some softshell material to make them bibs.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Yeah, I liked the Procline removable suspenders so much I sewed elastic tabs on my Saber hardshell pants and use them on both.
    Yeah the Arcterxy suspenders are super light/just right so when i sent the Fury pants back to Arcterxy I kept the suspenders and had elastic tabs sewn into my Patagucci soft shells

they ^^ use the same suspenders on their gortex shell pants

Beacon pocket on the Procline is a zippered pocket on the left thigh and it has a leash

I used to be a Bib kinda guy skiing alpine but then they are pretty warm for the BC and I usually wear a softshell jacket

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

Beacon pocket on the Procline is a zippered pocket on the left thigh and it has a leash
    Huh? Mine have no beacon pocket.

You don't have a zipper d pocket on yer left thigh with a leash in it?

Nope. I have the Procline FL's. You have AR's I'm guessing?

Agreed. I have the Procline FLs and don't have a beacon pocket. Only issue I have with them is the cuff is a VERY tight fit over a pair of Cochise boots.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Nope. I have the Procline FL's. You have AR's I'm guessing?
    https://www.campsaver.com/arcteryx-p...ants-mens.html

Yeah and doing a little searching it looks like they don't make the AR's anymore, the AR had 1 hip pocket and 2 thigh pockets, the left thigh pocket has a leash for your Beacon, not sure why the left off one hip pocket, some silly asymetrical styling exercise ?

the gaiters would accommodate pw's in an open Vulcan so i thot Arcterexy had done a great job of making a gaiter that would accomadate anything

The FL is 300$ which is 100$ cheaper

different fabric

at 450$ list maybe no one was buying the AR?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Only issue I have with them is the cuff is a VERY tight fit over a pair of Cochise boots.
    . . . but kind of loose on my Backland Carbons and Hawx Ultra XTD's . . .