Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    I have dawn patrols in a large and they work well for small boots, but i don't think i could pull them over an alpine boot

They're a great pant, i just wish they had a dedicated beacon pocket.

Who makes the perfect softshell ski pants??

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    I've had a couple of pairs of the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pant and they're cut very generously. I just looked and noticed this on the web page for this product which is consistent with my experience:

Measurements, Size 33: Waist 35" | Seat 42" | Thigh 26.25" | Knee Cir. 19" | Leg Opening 18"

These are certainly "soft shell" pants but lack zippers on all but the thigh pockets so they'd get some snow in there. The fabric lacks weather resistance, compared to other brands. I have a pair of Arcteryx Gamma AR pants that are much better for ski touring and alpine climbing although the cuff lacks a zipper as well. The Eddie Bauer pants are more for cooler rock climbing or putting on back at the trail head after skiing, in my opinion.

I have some of the original OR Trailbreakers that are designed specifically for BC Touring, burly and fit my big butt well. They're a little long in the legs for me but I love the fit of them otherwise. Have you looked a the current version of the OR Trailbreakers?

Not sure about the OR Cirque.
    You do realize that the Guide Pro pants from EB are different than the Guide Pro ski touring pants? The latter has zippers on all pockets, reinforced cuffs, integral gaiter and fleece backed soft shell with really great DWR.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

some new cottage mfg should start making touring pants, everything on the market has gone to sh*t...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You do realize that the Guide Pro pants from EB are different than the Guide Pro ski touring pants? The latter has zippers on all pockets, reinforced cuffs, integral gaiter and fleece backed soft shell with really great DWR.
    I had no idea they had several different Guide Pro anything. I see Guide Pro Alpine Stretch Pants: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/3883270...=1&color=Black Looks like it'd be more appropriate for skiing than the regular Guide Pro Pants. The Mountain Ops Ski Tour Pants appear to have the same back pockets as my Guide Pro pants that don't zip closed. Not a deal breaker but would annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    I had no idea they had several different Guide Pro anything. I see Guide Pro Alpine Stretch Pants: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/3883270...=1&color=Black Looks like it'd be more appropriate for skiing than the regular Guide Pro Pants. The Mountain Ops Ski Tour Pants appear to have the same back pockets as my Guide Pro pants that don't zip closed. Not a deal breaker but would annoy me.
    I’m not sure if they discontinued the GP ski tour pants or not. Mine don’t have back pockets. The Mtn Ops are like a hybrid of the GP ski tour and the discontinued Nail Driver pants. Don’t really care about back pocket closures. I wear the Nail Driver pants for lift served almost everyday and at 5 seasons and hundreds of days they show almost no wear. Very weather resistant unless it’s really wet snow or rain. If it’s that wet I’m wearing my Grundens bibs

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    These fucking things are squeezing my ass through the computer screen!! FAAAAAAAAAAKKK
    Bring back the Patagucci Descensionist pants, those things were dope, enough room to fit thighs 2x bigger than mine, great material, great pockets, great vents. My pair came used from ebay and may not have too many more years of life left.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    some new cottage mfg should start making touring pants, everything on the market has gone to sh*t...
    I mean it looks like there's plenty of good options available. Just hate the skinny pant thing. Sounds like "regular fit" on alot of these are actually pretty trim. I'm not a rock climber ...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

Did not know that, thanks.

I just picked up a medium men’s pair of the much-loved/TGR-approved 2016 Procline FL pants from the Arcteryx used gear site. $230 after tax for “like new.” No tags but they don’t seem used to me. There’s one more pair it looks like…

Still have my Gamma SK's from like '11 and are still in great shape, I use them 95% of the time midwinter. Same weight double-weave material as the Gamma LT but with braces/suspenders and I love the ridiculously simple gaiter design that unfortunately has also been d/c'd.

For spring tours the TNF Summit L4 Lightweight pants have been fantastic w/ light touring boots (TLT6). Very simple, just a map pocket; no gaiter but, hey, spring, and they've got grommets for stirrup straps. Have thigh vents and have used them in really warm weather and they're just perfect w/o baselayer. Trim but not too trim. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...pants-nf0a3sqi

Love soft shell pants. I try to use as often as possible unless it is wet or really cold. My most recent pair is the Marmot Pro-Tour. Pretty nice. Kind of a duel fabric thingy with a nylon in the thigh fronts with soft fabric everywhere else. These come with suspenders, which I ditched and most importantly belt loops. Zippered wallet pocket(got to have), two front hand pockets, and one thigh pocket(little small). Of course thigh vents. Most importantly is the fit. I am 6' and 220Lbs with skier legs. Got the 38 Regular. I despise the "euro-fit" or is that rando race fit of skinny lower legs. These fit over ski boots very well without having to un-zip the ankle zipper. Plenty of room. They are on close-out so deals are out there.

I still have a couple pair of Mammut Castor's which were the best and may never wear out. Sadly none of the recent Mammut offerings did it for me. I have a pair of Eddie Bauer pants, I think they were the Nail Drivers from a few years back that are nice. Awesome thigh pockets, no wallet pocket though.

This thread piqued my interest for considering replacements after 'spooging' sunscreen on my favorite OR Trailbreaker pants. I wear them at the area as well as for tours. It's a bummer to learn the the OR Trailbreaker IIs are too tight for ski boots. This seems like a stupid design downgrade and destroys the point of the pants. Is it really too tight or simply less than ideal?

The Euro fit comments prompted me to check the fit on my Salomon Outpeak Warm softshells relative to ski boots for spring touring or skiing. They fit fine, but do lack rear pockets & the thigh pocket is small for phones. I got these last fall for biking, XC skiing and hiking, etc. My Stoic softshell's cuffs are too big for chainrings, but the Salomon's work great. I ended up wearing them almost every day after the morning XC ski or bike ride due to their fit, comfort & versatility.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0176D.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	411500

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0177D.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	494.3 KB 
ID:	411501
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I really like my Norrona Lyngen Flex1 pants for spring skiing.

They have no insulation and don't have any form of laminate material, which is definitely my preference for a soft shell. They also have some well designed vents on the side.

I'm 5'11'' and wear 34 inch pants and medium in these fit me well. If my waist was any larger I'd need to size up to a large, which would maybe be too long for me.

The only thing I'd change is that I'd prefer vents on the inside of the leg instead of the outside and I wish they had belt loops (I much prefer an elastic belt), but they do have a velcro system on the side of the hips for tightening them.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I have dawn patrols in a large and they work well for small boots, but i don't think i could pull them over an alpine boot

They're a great pant, i just wish they had a dedicated beacon pocket.
    I just did a five day hut trip with my new BD Dawn Patrols. Loved them other than my short stumpy legs are not long enough for the regular large pant. Light, breathable, stretchy, etc. I'm going to take them to a local shop that does great work with alterations.

I used the front pocket to hold my beacon with no issues. I just wrapped the beacon leash through one of my belt loops. When I take them in to get shortened I'm also going to have them sew a loop inside the front right pocket to clip my beacon to.

I had no real issues getting the pants to fit over my Tecnica Cochise boots. While skinning, I have to roll the inner powder cuff up over the top of the boot to keep a decent range of motion but the outer cuff was not issue. When it was ski time, I was able to get both inner and outer cuffs over the boot with no issues.

Well I bit the bullet after some "dry skiing" today left my 12 year old Patagonia softshells in tatters and went for a set of Dynafit Mercury's. I sized up to a large and have a bit more space. I didn't like giving up the wallet pocket and the pants are a tad tight on my boots but otherwise seem to meet my criteria. Hopefully I get another decade out of these ones too.

Not saying this because I have a pair for sale, but the OR hemispheres are sweet for being a hard shell. They have stretch goretex throughout so are pretty damn flexible, but still maintain all of the features of a “regular” ski pant and are significantly lighter than a lot of the soft shell offerings. Pretty impressed with them honestly.

Skied Some older strafe Cham pant with recon stretch on a warm spring day. Breathability is great and features are easy and cutis looser. Win win

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Skied Some older strafe Cham pant with recon stretch on a warm spring day. Breathability is great and features are easy and cutis looser. Win win

Just googled that up as I was unfamiliar with the company. Style points if you got them in the stealth camo colorway!

I have about 10 days touring and one rando race in these: https://shop.atomic.com/en/products/...ant-51062.html

I like them so far, fit is a little snug but not full on Euro. Pretty weather resistant for PNW wetness but breath well. Lighter weight and still hold up to brush just fine.

Adidas seems to be pretty good

Bump for any updates

Tried my Norrona Svalbard flex 1 last night in 23 degree early storm snowshoe. I like the long side vents and durable but breathable fabric. But fit is best as I am 6-1 with 36 waist but 34 inseam. Very stylish and good deals if you set up an account at their outlet.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

My dimensions:
    6'3, 180lbs, 34" inseam, 31" waist, 34" circ at the glutes, previously had thighs big enough to put me in a women's climbing harness while cycling daily. My thighs are currently a bit slimmer now that I am not cycling and now 6" wide and 7.5" wide in profile or about 21.25" around. Thighs play a huge role in softshell fit. Both in stride, comfort, how the legs ride, and articulation.

I have owned first gen BD Dawn Patrol with likely 60 days before they stretched out and were wetting out too much. The waist fit was never acceptable for me (31" waist, 34" inseam). I had the Mediums and the snaps at the fly would pop on the first dynamic turn I would make. I gave these away to a friend. The stride was a little resistive but the pants stretched well. I liked them in general but having had the Proclines with a season of overlap, I wouldn't ever go back.

Currently I have about 60 days in the Arcteryx Proclines but with a 2018 model that has the free-sliding belt. 60 days in, the side seam is starting to split and I will have to send them in for repair (or drive them to Boulder!). This defect is around the hip bone where the seam must have the most dynamic movement. I will suggest that they add some reinforcement to the threading at these spots as the thread is certainly the greatest weakness of these pants. The material is very supple but laminated and not as light as some of the other softshell fabric I have used. I would place it at twice the thickness and weight of Polartech Neoshell. My suspender elastic is starting to fail despite not washing them and being a stickler for keeping them unloaded. I think the elastic in one edge of one shoulder has died or failed and it is starting to look curly. On the deepest/coldest days, I sometimes opt to go with Arc'teryx Sabre instead.

The Arcteryx are certainly a better fit and much more water and wind resistant. The thigh pocket is superior in design and has a thin sub-pocket that is perfect for a cell phone of modern proportions (iPhone13 Pro in an Apple leather case). I am a firm beacon-in-harness user, making the beacon pocket a non-starter for me.

Biggest problem with both pants is the boot fit. Arcteryx and OG Dawn Patrol were not great at going over 4-buckle style ski boots. They will fit, but they wont love it.

I also have some FlyLow pants that I would not recommend. I think that they are super prone to the crotch blowing out or turning into a convertible, whichever you prefer. All my friends have the dreaded duct tape groins on their touring FlyLows. That said, I will tour in mine while the Procline's get repaired.

Other brands to mention here include Ortovox. They make a number of softshell, hybrid, and wool/softshell material pants. Some are similar to the old Ibex merino softshell (climacool) but with fancy colors and asymmetrical paneling. I am keen to try an ensemble of them, but have not had a need to replace my gear in a couple seasons.

Update 1/23: close to day 80 now on these pants and the thread failure on the hip has not escalated at all. The suspenders are no worse than before. Pants still have not had a wet-out situation and are still going strong.
    Last edited by alfajores; 01-17-2023 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Status update
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Just pulled the trigger on Dawn Patrols after reading the thread. FYI, a few places with sales on Dawn Patrol pants right now:

https://www.prfo.com/products/black-...n-patrol-pants (shipping was free to California, FWIW)
    https://www.moosejaw.com/product/bla...=Black-Diamond (XLs for $150)