Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Original Cirques for $45, get em while they are hot https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...0s?cat=185,184

woah $112 where?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    woah $112 where?
    on there website free shipping no tax to CA.
    think you got to enter code 1981
    also google is your friend for cheapest price.

damn, thanks. that’s a score

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Original Cirques for $45, get em while they are hot https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...0s?cat=185,184
    Thx, grabbed a pair. Lg was all they had left but should fit fine.

Mammut Base Jump for sure. Went to the Backcountry warehouse last year and tried on at least 10 pairs of softshells, and the Base Jumps took the cake. I wear them all season long in the Wasatch and never get cold, and never over heat. Fit is perfect, 3 front pockets including a beacon pocket w/ leash that is big enough for any beacon. Gaiters fit over my Alien RS with plenty of room, don't see why they wouldn't fit over any touring boot. Only minor downsides are that I'm not a huge fan of velcro waist adjustment, but its been a set it once and forget it for me, so can't really complain; and the metal tab on the gaiter for lace up boots gets in the way sometimes, but not enough to really care.

EDIT: Suspenders are removable, I got rid of those right away
    Last edited by rwalk; 04-22-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Too lazy to read this, but OR Trailblazers.

PSA: Various sizes/colours of the RAB Upslope pants are 50% off on The Last Hunt ($148 CAD).

Beacon pocket is an ABSOLUTE MUST though... so the BD Dawn Patrol sadly is out.
    Dumb question - what's the difference between a beacon pocket and a regular zippered-pocket? A dongle to clip your beacon to?

I have BD Dawn Patrols, and just put the beacon in my pocket and zip it shut.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Dumb question - what's the difference between a beacon pocket and a regular zippered-pocket? A dongle to clip your beacon to?

I have BD Dawn Patrols, and just put the beacon in my pocket and zip it shut.
    usually a clip and some sort of elastic mesh pocket inside the regular pocket, yeah. mostly (for me) it's the ergonomics of having it fit with a beacon-sized thing in it... I could sew in a clip. and I would live with a regular zippered pocket, but sometimes "pocket" means it fits a folded up $5 bill and not much else, like OR cirques for example. and I'm a skinny dude, 5'10" 145lbs

usually a clip and some sort of elastic mesh pocket inside the regular pocket, yeah. mostly (for me) it's the ergonomics of having it fit with a beacon-sized thing in it... I could sew in a clip. and I would live with a regular zippered pocket, but sometimes "pocket" means it fits a folded up $5 bill and not much else, like OR cirques for example. and I'm a skinny dude, 5'10" 145lbs
    Gotcha. That all makes sense. I have a beacon pocket in Trew Roams (a waterproof-breathable bib), which is nicer and does fit better than the regular pocket in the Dawn Patrols. But my BCA beacon fits no problem in the Dawn Patrol front pocket. Might sew in a clip for utility during searches. The last two seasons I found that I prefer the Dawn Patrols in all conditions unless it's raining or snowing very heavily, which happens here in the Sierra. I'm usually banging lifts in those conditions, and have burlier kit for that.
    sproing!

Gotcha. That all makes sense. I have a beacon pocket in Trew Roams (a waterproof-breathable bib), which is nicer and does fit better than the regular pocket in the Dawn Patrols. But my BCA beacon fits no problem in the Dawn Patrol front pocket. Might sew in a clip for utility during searches. The last two seasons I found that I prefer the Dawn Patrols in all conditions unless it's raining or snowing very heavily, which happens here in the Sierra. I'm usually banging lifts in those conditions, and have burlier kit for that.
    yeah my Trailbreakers have been incredible, softshell with some hardshell on the front at the knee and below. they are filled with holes now from crampons and god knows what else but I keep patching em and they keep working. I guess maybe I'll suck it up and get the Trailbreaker 2 at some point, just don't love the colors enough to spring for them now, when I don't really NEED them and I know some new gear is just 2-3 months away...

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’m looking for the holy grail of ski soft shells:

Large thigh cut
    Fits 33” waist
    Short (30”) inseam
    Thigh vents
    Some sort of reinforcement at instep for skis and crampons

Im 5-10 with a short inseam and beefy legs at 190lbs and everything seems like it’s made for the tall skinny Euro Skimo folks.
    I’m in between sizes on Arc and Patagonia, BD Dawn Patrol were super long, MTN Hardwear has tiny thighs.
    Mammut has short inseam in their (Softshell) pants. Their waist runs small, so if you’re a 33” waist normally, go for the 34” waist, short inseam.

BASE jump touring pant has looser thigh fit (but snugger around the butt and through the crotch). Suspenders are removable.
    or size up in the waist and use with suspenders.

Dumb question - what's the difference between a beacon pocket and a regular zippered-pocket? A dongle to clip your beacon to? .
    Often some kind of attachment, but you can also clip the leash to a belt loop or such.
    The bigger issue is the structural integrity of the pocket. General advice is to only use pockets that consist of a zippered slit in the outer fabric, with the pocket material attached to the inside. Not the kind where the pocket material is sewn/welded onto the outside of the main leg fabric.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/...he-transceiver

my pants (low bibs) don’t have a beacon pocket, but they have zippered hand pockets. I put it in there, and then clip the leash to the belt loop.

Scored a pair of mint small Procline FL's on the Arc'teryx used site:

usedgear.arcteryx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Scored a pair of mint small Procline FL's on the Arc'teryx used site:

usedgear.arcteryx.com/
    Damn, nice score.

Anything come out more recently that fits all these criteria?

Arcteryx re-released the procline this week https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/procline-pant

Not sure how it compares to the original.

What's up with the Activetemp fabric that Outdoor Research uses in their Cirque 2 pants?
    Legit or snakeoil?
    On the prowl for new pants and these seem about right regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Arcteryx re-released the procline this week https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/procline-pant

Not sure how it compares to the original.
    Arcterxy could just copy the original and they would be the shit

the only thing to easily change would be to have 4 symetrical pockets instead of 3

otherwise they are perfect
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Who makes the perfect softshell ski pants??

Mammut Base Jump

I think they were mentioned up thread. I have two seasons on them and couldn’t be happier. Three pockets on the front, two on the back, look like regular pants for apres, reinforced knees ass and cuffs, athletic fit but not rando race. Plenty light and breathable but still knock down the wind fine, had them out on 0 degree days touring with an ultralight wool layer under and on 60 degree spring tours in full sun, did great on both.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    What's up with the Activetemp fabric that Outdoor Research uses in their Cirque 2 pants?
    Legit or snakeoil?
    On the prowl for new pants and these seem about right regardless.
    The old ones are the cat's pajamas. Can't say anything about the new ones

Hmm
    Lindahl that reminds me that you're a fan of the ferrosi jacket. As am i.
    Would you use their ferrosi pant for skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Hmm
    Lindahl that reminds me that you're a fan of the ferrosi jacket. As am i.
    Would you use their ferrosi pant for skiing?
    The only Ferrosi pants I've used I bought about 7 years ago. The only time I use them as a ski pant was June spring skiing when it was hot. No way would I use them in any precip or temps below 40.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Arcterxy could just copy the original and they would be the shit

the only thing to easily change would be to have 4 symetrical pockets instead of 3

otherwise they are perfect
    Hoping that’s whats going on here. Sounds like brick and mortar won’t get shipment for a few more weeks. Gonna check them out when my local shop does.