Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 137
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by sebchx View Post
    The perfect Softshell ski pant exist : Patagonia Kniferidge pant.

    Polartech Power Shield Pro are just super nice for Alpine ski touring !
    Great. Please convince patagonia to make them again.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    865
    For any small people, a pair is on worn wear right now.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    797
    Strafe Cham2 pant.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whitefish
    Posts
    1,071
    ok, so arcteryx discontinued the proline, which i thoroughly enjoyed. they replaced it the rush FL, which doesn't come in tall sizes and a less and worse positioned pockets.

    checked out the strafe recon pant, which is nice but fairly thin for what i'd consider full on winter conditions.

    other options?

    patagonia has their new snow guide ski pant
    black diamond dawn patrol ski pant
    dynafit looked like they revamped their pants a bit?
    norrona?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    321
    RAB makes a decent pair, medium weight super stretchy softshell with a trimmer fit. Can't remember the model name off the top of my head though.

    EDIT: The "Upslope"

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    ok, so arcteryx discontinued the proline, which i thoroughly enjoyed. they replaced it the rush FL, which doesn't come in tall sizes and a less and worse positioned pockets.

    checked out the strafe recon pant, which is nice but fairly thin for what i'd consider full on winter conditions.

    other options?

    patagonia has their new snow guide ski pant
    black diamond dawn patrol ski pant
    dynafit looked like they revamped their pants a bit?
    norrona?
    +1 for the Procline AR pants

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whitefish
    Posts
    1,071
    The Procline pants are discontinued and can’t find any mediums anywhere.

    Thanks, I’ll look at the Rabs too.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rossland BC
    Posts
    1,433
    I just received the Patagonia Snow Guide pants. They’re a solid and stylish pant, and the mediums fit well around my 32” hips, but the inseam is unacceptably short on my 6’1” body, a full 1.5”s shorter than the medium (discontinued) Dynafit Chugach’s I’m replacing, the knee and hip articulation is inadequate making for obvious resistance to knee lifts, and the cuff adjustment system is ugly and awkward to use. I’ll be sending them back. I’ve no idea what to buy now?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    5,444
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I just received the Patagonia Snow Guide pants. They’re a solid and stylish pant, and the mediums fit well around my 32” hips, but the inseam is unacceptably short on my 6’1” body, a full 1.5”s shorter than the medium (discontinued) Dynafit Chugach’s I’m replacing, the knee and hip articulation is inadequate making for obvious resistance to knee lifts, and the cuff adjustment system is ugly and awkward to use. I’ll be sending them back. I’ve no idea what to buy now?
    We need a separate thread: WHO MAKES THE PERFECT SOFTSHELL SKI PANTS...with a 34" inseam?? That little factor makes the search that much harder.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,405
    Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    . . . arcteryx discontinued the proline, which i thoroughly enjoyed . . .
    Bummed about that, and can't find a small grey Procline FL anywhere . . . I use those top pockets all the time.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    285
    I'm happy I scored some Proclines at 40% this spring before they were gone. Haven't tried skiing in them yet, but they really seem great.

    The last 4 seasons I've been touring in Mountain Equipment epic touring pants (prize for the lamest name ever), and they've held up great. The fit has never been great for me though, as I'm probably too skinny.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    280
    OR Trailbreakers were the only pair I could find that were comfortable, fit right, and met my criteria of a pocket for a field book and another for a beacon. I can’t speak to the inseam length but would highly recommend them.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whitefish
    Posts
    1,071
    For those interested:

    Arcteryx Procline FLs in Medium Tall vs BD Dawn Patrol Medium:
    -BD is ever so slight trimmer
    -Arcteryx has 1" in length extra compared to BD, but at 6'1" with 34" inseam with ski boots the BD pant is plenty long
    -BD pockets are slightly lower and much longer and therefore larger than Procline
    -Vents similar
    -BD has right butt pocket
    -BD cuff is a little different: there is no button closure, just reenforced elastic with a 3-4" gaiter, there is a one way zipper that allows access to buckles etc. This cuff goes over TLT6 and Lange Freetour in both walk and ski mode. I can put the TLT6 into ski mood without adjust the pant, just opening the zipper. Langes with more classic buckles are a bit more PITA without moving the pant cuff up and down.
    -material thickness is similar but maybe slightly thicker in the Procline.

    Probably gonna keep them, especially since they cost half as much (AAC discount) as the norrona or Arcteryx current models. Was also considering the RAb Upslope pant but I liked the BD color way better and they were cheaper by $20

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    896
    The new Rab Upslope pant is a contender. It seems similar to the old version but the vents are a huge upgrade.

    Nice mid-weight soft shell fabric
    3 pockets (the top pocket is a tad small but the other 2 thigh pockets are nicely sized)
    Vents with mesh lining
    Snow gaiters
    Athletic fit but not full rando
    Comes in waist sizes (30, 32, 34 etc) instead of just small, medium, large.
    Fit seems right on. I'm typically a 32 waist and the 32s fit me very well.
    Belt loops
    Suspender compatible
    Reinforcements at the cuff

    My only complaint is the cuffs flare a bit too much if you ask me. It's not too bad when I'm actually wearing boots, but still seems a bit overkill. It does make it easy to get them over your boots. I just worry about possibly snagging crampons. Time will tell. If they had a less flared cuff but had the zip open cuff like the old Procline FL it would be pretty much perfect IMO.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    HELL-A
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by sebchx View Post
    The perfect Softshell ski pant exist : Patagonia Kniferidge pant.

    Polartech Power Shield Pro are just super nice for Alpine ski touring !
    +1

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    HELL-A
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Great. Please convince patagonia to make them again.
    If you do, have them add additional pockets! I really like mine, but I do wish they had either 2 zippered hand pockets or another pocket on the opposite leg for food, ski straps, phone, etc.

    They are getting hard to come, but they do pop up from time to time. I found a set on fleabay last season, that still have lots of life left in them.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    113
    I have pair of Arc’teryx Procline FL pants but I don't think they vent good enough and without a waterproof ass I won't use them in inbound in say japan.
    I'm probably getting the this years Norröna Lyngen Windstopper hybrid Pants. So light so I think they will both protect more and have better ventilation. Myabe I'm just naive but I hope for the best
    Good pockets, big vents, waterproof ass, knees, thighs, lower leg but a softshell fabric that breaths where possible. Just over 400g in a size medium! the 300g on the homepage must have been a sample.
    https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...en/?color=2295
    Gore-tex windstopper is the same as regular gore-tex but no taped seems but if I remember right I think the Norröna guy told med that the ass is taped on these

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,123
    Dynafit are nice

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    central sierra
    Posts
    479
    I've got way too many softshell ski pants, but the BD Dawn Patrol is my new favorite. It doesn't have a waterproof seat, which was something the OP identified as necessary to the perfect pant. I've got an older pair of Westcomb touring pants with eVent ass and legs but mostly Schoeller soft shell that I really like when it's wetter out. For most touring applications in the Sierra Nevada, the Dawn Patrol is perfect.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    4,444
    Labonville...... The snowmakers friend.

    https://www.labonville.com/Insulated...600P_p_73.html

    Name:  2AFF518C-EDF2-427C-8097-E72CB3C1AEC7.jpeg
Views: 2309
Size:  9.2 KB

    fancy assed supervisors version.......

    https://www.labonville.com/Labonvill...ts_p_1292.html

    Name:  DE8B9E10-42D4-4C96-9E8B-1163639BEAD8.png
Views: 1278
Size:  316.4 KB

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    44
    I have a Patagonia Backcountry Guide Pants. It is loose enough to allow layering.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,578
    Bumping this...looking for recent advice on this front. Already thinking about spring volcano missions and I'm looking for a change of pants....heh.

    I found the TNF Summit L4 LT soft shell's on discount at REI and love the way they fit. (https://www.backcountry.com/the-nort...hell-pant-mens) Everything is great except...1 pocket. ONE POCKET?? Why.

    So I'm hoping to find something with a similar cut (relatively slim) but with at least two...ideally more pockets. I love. the reinforced cuff, light weight fabric, vent zips, etc.

    I have the Rab Upslope (original) right now which is fine, but it's too heavy for the spring time being a midweight softshell.

    Any suggestions?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Bumping this...looking for recent advice on this front. Already thinking about spring volcano missions and I'm looking for a change of pants....heh.

    I found the TNF Summit L4 LT soft shell's on discount at REI and love the way they fit. (https://www.backcountry.com/the-nort...hell-pant-mens) Everything is great except...1 pocket. ONE POCKET?? Why.

    So I'm hoping to find something with a similar cut (relatively slim) but with at least two...ideally more pockets. I love. the reinforced cuff, light weight fabric, vent zips, etc.

    I have the Rab Upslope (original) right now which is fine, but it's too heavy for the spring time being a midweight softshell.

    Any suggestions?
    I think the Arc'teryx soft shell pants are the best.


    Well thought out.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,123
    Just got OR skyward II. Not a soft shell but soft shell feel and very breathable. Like them allot. Also on sale.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Winthrop, WA. Methow valley
    Posts
    1,019
    Been using the Eddie Bauer softshell this year and like the shit out of it.....and it don't cost 4 bills. Might not be quite up to standard with the best Arc stuff but I'm even using them for inbounds now. Well designe and just all around useful. For the $ their tough to beat. Also have the now discontinued nail driver pants that I've been wearing everyday, November - March, for the past 3 years and they've held up incredibly well, including lots of touring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •