Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Second the Dynafit Chugach. Doesn't have the waterproof knees etc, but IME the Windstopper does a good enough job (can sit on the snow for lunch in the PNW and stay dry). Sizing was weird though. I'm ~31-33 and went with a US small (which apparently is a Euro medium). If you have biker thighs though they may be a tad snug.

Procline FL dudes, how does the deadbird fabric compare to Windstopper? Last pair of softshells I used were made of Windstopper and had a soft backer - too hot for spring skiing. I've used Neoshell pants in place of the softshells since, but I've got an Arcteryx credit I need to use up.

I was looking for a similar pant, ended up with the same pants everyone else really likes. arcteryx procline. fit is perfect for someone that actually has real sized legs.

I wanted to like the dawn patrol pants but they fit terrible, way to tight in the thighs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Procline FL dudes, how does the deadbird fabric compare to Windstopper? Last pair of softshells I used were made of Windstopper and had a soft backer - too hot for spring skiing. I've used Neoshell pants in place of the softshells since, but I've got an Arcteryx credit I need to use up.
    FL's are nothing like Windstopper. No membrane. No brushed or fleece backing. They'll be good for warm days.

Yeah the windstopper is great when it's really fucking cold and if it's warmer than -10C I don't need long underwear, the patagucci are good for warmer weather around 0C
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

BD Recons are pretty sweet, check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’ve been very happy with my Dynafit Chugach pants, and my wife’s new Patagonia Snowdrifters (similar too but better value than the Proclines) are pretty nice. I found that that OR Trailbreakers fitted short and wide, and that the “waterproof” lower leg material was so delicate that its was shredded within a season. These seem worth checking out: http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/M...e-Pants-Review
    +2 on the Chugach. It's the only pair of pants I've found which works well in the Wasatch (relatively warm temps, dry snow). I also took them out on cold (ie high single digits, it rarely drops below that here) deep days and never got chilled or wet. Breathability is impressive but I wish the mesh lining the thigh vents was even more aerated. I survived an all day slog on a very hot day in Cali in mid-June but it was borderline. Not sure if anything will make that comfortable though...
    The beacon pocket (read: regular thigh pocket) doesn't work for my thick-ish device (Arva) and I had to revert to the chest harness, my only complaint.

Tons of great info here by all!

Thanks!

I'll check out the Arcteryx at the local storefront...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You don't have a zipper d pocket on yer left thigh with a leash in it?
    It’s a fashion fad that needs to die
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Any comments on fit of the Arcteryx Procline FL pant? Slim, regular, relaxed?

Quote Originally Posted by ccl View Post
    Any comments on fit of the Arcteryx Procline FL pant? Slim, regular, relaxed?
    Pretty regular. Not freeride but not mountaineering/euro. Build for skiers in that it has an appropriately sized waist with reasonable butt & quad space. They also make tall sizes, if you're tall and skinny. I wanted a slimmer fit for climbing/cramponing, and I'm in the M @ 5'11", 165# (IIRC).

I like the Procline FL for winter into spring, and the OR Ferrosi (or shorts) for late-spring into summer.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Bump for spring. Proclines are unavailable in a Medium Tall at the moment. I run hot, so I'm looking for something that breathes well. Fit-wise, the ski version of the Prana Bronson pant would be $$$.

Levi’s.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Bump for spring. Proclines are unavailable in a Medium Tall at the moment. I run hot, so I'm looking for something that breathes well. Fit-wise, the ski version of the Prana Bronson pant would be $$$.
    Patagonia dual point alpine is my go to pant for warm touring. Super versatile and durable. I run hot and do late season touring in the sierra - so pretty hot conditions. I have yet to feel like my legs are too warm, even on days where I've wanted to take off my shirt completely.

From what I can tell, most of their ability to shed heat is from breathability - for instance I can wear these pants with a thick baselayer for mid winter tours (in tahoe, so like 15-20f) no problem, but with less underneath can wear them up to about 65f easily.

I don't know the prana bronson, but the fit is athletic but not tight.... kinda hug my thunder thighs but no pressure on the nuts.

this is relevant to my interests. I have some Columbia Titanium softshells that I got on discount when I worked for Nike, but they bit the dust this season. My hardshell pants are too fucking hot. Tried on some Rab Sharp Edge and Upslope and they both seemed good but I dunno anything about Rab stuff.

Toured a bit on the Upslope this year.
    Pros:
    One of few that fits a tall, slim/athletic guy well.
    Ok room for boot cuff, better than a lot of other touring/mountainering pants. I've used Solly Labs.
    Decent pockets.

Cons:
    A bit warm in itself.
    No thigh zippers for venting.

Ok, pants. Not fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Toured a bit on the Upslope this year.
    Pros:
    One of few that fits a tall, slim/athletic guy well.
    Ok room for boot cuff, better than a lot of other touring/mountainering pants. I've used Solly Labs.
    Decent pockets.

Cons:
    A bit warm in itself.
    No thigh zippers for venting.

Ok, pants. Not fantastic.

good to know, thanks.

I have a pair of Strafe Recon's on the way. Buddy of mine really likes the Recon Jacket. Will report back, but so far they've got some ground to make up, having whiffed rather spectacularly by first sending me the wrong color, size and model. Oi vey dudes.

I got a pair of the Procline FL this year and generally like them. I have a 33" waist and 32 inseam and the M fits well, maybe a tiny bit roomy. My experience:

pros:
    excellent quality
    versatile - I can use wear these on most days without thermals unless it's really warm (>30F), really cold ( <0F), or really wet.

cons:
    - No zippered cargo pocket. I hired a seamstress to add a zipper to the cargo pocket so I could use it for my beacon. Otherwise, the pocket is a good size/location for beacon use.
    - The vents aren't huge don't provide as much ventilation as I would like. Cutting out the vent liner helped a bit.
    - Too warm for warm spring days.

Overall, a super high quality pant but really for winter/early spring use for me. YMMV. The lack of zipper on the cargo pocket is just annoying - snow will get in there while skiing pow with just the velcro closure - I know first hand. For comparison, I have a pair of older Gamma SK pants from Arc that I also had to add a zipper to the cargo pocket. BUT, the SK did not come with any side vents so I added my own that are longer than the Procline vents and vent much better. If the Procline FL was made of a lighter material, had a zippered cargo, and longer side vents, it would be my unicorn spring pant.

I'm tempted to try the Dynafit Mercury pants based on what others have said in this thread. Until I find a winner for spring, I'll keep going back to my ca 2007 Mountain Hardwear Navigation pants - lightweight, great side vents, and cut for a slim build (unlike modern MH sizing which is the opposite). Sadly, the years have turned them into sponges so dry conditions only.

Picked up some Dynafit Radical pants. Pretty Euro cut, a bit slim through the thigh for my liking, but otherwise very functional. Could use an extra pocket or two, and the cuffs could be bigger to actual fit over ski boots.

For resort spring skiing, I still like my old Patagonia softshell climbing pants which have the opposite fit, quite relaxed.

Once it gets hot, any soft shell pants that stretch are miles better than a hard shell, even with the full length vents.

I really like the BD Dawn Patrol pants.

Pros:
    -stretchy
    -slim but not too slim (but: I have chicken legs)
    -long enough that the cuff stays over your boot when you bend your legs around
    -cuff is big enough to fit over TLT6, MTN Lab, resort boot, etc; and cuff gaiter feels secure on all of these
    -cuff zip makes access to booster strap pretty easy
    -big ol' thigh pockets that work well with a harness, and a buttcheek pocket I've never used
    -breathable; big thigh vents
    -reasonably water resistant (have worn them resort skiing in WA and not been drenched)
    -comfortable next to skin
    -have not yet disintegrated despite tree- and park-skiing
    -relatively inexpensive

Cons, perhaps:
    -cuff zip does not actually go all the way down the cuff like you'd expect, it just opens a slit in the cuff for booster strap/buckle access
    -no fabric reinforcement in key areas if you're into that
    -advertised as having a beacon pocket, but all I can think of is that the left thigh pocket might have a strange-feeling fabric loop welded to the bottom. Come to think of it, that might be a piece of gorilla tape that went through the wash. I put my beacon in my right thigh pocket, and clip the leash to itself through the belt loop.

Really like my Stoics as well. Starting to come apart but have lasted really well. Shame they discontinued. Any goat people around that know why?

Update:

The Strafe Recon checks all of the OPs boxes IMO. I used them for 3-4 spring ski outings in CO, and on a number of volcanos in California/PNW.

-Fabric is excellent. Thin stretchy softshell that is comfortable next-to-skin but has a stiffer/more durable feel on face fabric. Pants block wind but are thin enough that they are not hot.
    -Vents are on back of legs - keeps snow out.
    -Pockets are big enough for a bulky T2. They are deep, which sometimes puts things low enough that it affects stride. Rare issue and workable.
    -Fit: Enough room to fit over a mountaineering boot (Scarpa F1), would be tight on an alpine boot. Enough length for a tall guy. Mediums would be perfect for me but they were sold out. Larges are a touch long (6'1") and waist requires cinching (I'm a 32).
    -Oddities: the skimo gaiter system is useless for me. I removed them and run w/o gaiter with no issues. The zipper pulls on the cuffs are tiny - I added paracord to mine.

Overall really stoked on these. If anybody has a medium and wants to trade, hit me up!

Name:  Screenshot_20180624-151027~2.png
Views: 2487
Size:  393.8 KB

The perfect Softshell ski pant exist : Patagonia Kniferidge pant.

Polartech Power Shield Pro are just super nice for Alpine ski touring !