Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That book was released January 12, so bumping an existing thread about about drug legalization with new shit seemed appropriate. It's also extra funny to read old posts in this thread, many of which are from members I deeply respect, saying "OMFG we couldn't possibly legalize meth and heroin, it will be Armageddon!" and then here's this PhD neuroscientist at Columbia who's been one of the premier researchers in the field of drug abuse and addiction for 20 years saying he regularly uses heroin, cocaine and meth and doing so has made him a happier healthier person.
    but heroin and meth are the bad drugs

for those following along at home:

bad drugs = drugs that poor people and brown people like
    good drugs = drugs that middle/upper class people and white people like

(/s)

stoked to read this, thanks for resurrecting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Not going back to read the entire thread but was this a joke?
    He was pulling out Jeff Sessions quotes.

Plenty of upper class white people love themselves some legal heroin, conveniently prescribed by their local doctor in easy to take pill form.
    Live Free or Die

Yeah, but that doesn't really count, does it? /S

Fuck it, legalize it all, tax it and use the proceeds to pay for treatment for the people who "can not use drugs responsibly".

Then junkies would be dying less from Fentynal mixed in their shit.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Heard a piece on CBC ideas with Dr Hart. Very interesting perspective.
    https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1533523011983

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Then junkies would be dying less from Fentynal mixed in their shit.
    This is why decriminalization is a bullshit half-measure. There are two primary dangers associated with drug use, 1) the criminal justice system; and 2) black market products with unknown contents and dosages. Decriminalization does nothing to address #2.

Heroin is pretty easy to die on without the government/black market all on its own.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Plenty of upper class white people love themselves some legal heroin, conveniently prescribed by their local doctor in easy to take pill form.
    I've noticed that they tend to be particularly keen on pointing out that they can't possibly have a problem since the stuff is legal. No addiction possible there, nope.
    They also love to contrast themselves with "illegal drug users" who are obviously the root of all evil.
    Cause you know, a molecule of oxycodone behaves completely differently in the body when it has the right paperwork...

That being said, I find the concept of regular heroin, cocaine and meth use being beneficial to one's health to be a bit of a stretch. Regardless of legality, there aren't very many people out there who have the discipline to make it work. It may be a high reward game but it's very high consequence and I wouldn't trust 80% of the population to play it and come out unscathed. Myself included.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I’ve thought about this.

It would require a secure locked drug dispenser with the ability to program. Someone else would keep the code or key.

You only get 1 gram of cocaine every 3 days.

Another machine to dispense my heroin and another for my Xanax.

3 locked, pre programmed machines.

Tamper proof and tough as nails, because boy I’ll take a hammer to it

https://www.walmart.com/ip/e-pill-Co...-day/865244635

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Man, I have a hard time reconciling support for casually using meth when I see how my neighbors are faring with that. That said I put the book on my Kindle and I'm curious to find out how I might be wrong.

in vancover they had a program where a vending M/C was distributing hydromorphine to addicts

back in the day grandpa was an engineer in the opium factory in pre-war Singapore and it was legal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Substance abuse programs would be a whole lot better funded if there were a bunch of upper middle class white folks with unfettered legal access to heroine.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If you start shooting pot yer fucked.
    QFT

You a Pothead Woodsy?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

its ok as long as you don't inhale
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Don't inject your shrooms or they might start growing in your blood.
    https://www.livescience.com/magic-mu...se-report.html

why is it that the majority of drug users i know (weed excluded), my former self included, use addictively? i mean, how many casual meth or heroin users do you know?
    swing your fucking sword.

Cause life is hard. Even harder when you're stupid.
    And community support in our culture sucks.

Seriously. Where is that study linked somewhere in here long time ago where they gave two groups of rats access to cocaine. The rats in solitary got addicted. The rats with rich social activity and other stress releases like exercise did not.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    why is it that the majority of drug users i know (weed excluded), my former self included, use addictively? i mean, how many casual meth or heroin users do you know?
    You're an addict, so you know lots of addicts. 80-90% of people who try "hard" drugs don't become addicted. Most use a few times or for a period of time and then quit on their own accord for a variety of reasons, including because they're just not that into it anymore. People who use recreationally long-term generally aren't open about it because the social stigma is enormous.

eta: Also, you know one now, and he's been a drug addiction scientist at Columbia fucking University for 20 years
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-27-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

That being said, I find the concept of regular heroin, cocaine and meth use being beneficial to one's health to be a bit of a stretch. Regardless of legality, there aren't very many people out there who have the discipline to make it work. It may be a high reward game but it's very high consequence and I wouldn't trust 80% of the population to play it and come out unscathed. Myself included.
    I get this view. But, 80% of people probably shouldn't be allowed to drive anything more than a smart car that's limited to 40 mph and instead we let them drive multi-ton tanks at 80 mph inches from each other. We let people play high risk/high reward games all the time, often when other people's lives are also on the line, but have decided that only drugs warrant illegality. I find that specious at best.

When a decorated PhD drug researcher who has done foundational work in the field, and who grew up in a drug-addled Miami ghetto, is saying we'd be better off just legalizing and regulating everything I'm inclined to trust that science. Admittedly I'm leaning hard into my own existing biases here but at the moment I give zero fucks.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-27-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I get this view. But, 80% of people probably shouldn't be allowed to drive anything more than a smart car that's limited to 40 mph and instead we let them drive multi-ton tanks at 80 mph inches from each other. We let people play high risk/high reward games all the time, often when other people's lives are also on the line, but have decided that only drugs warrant illegality. I find that specious at best.

When a decorated PhD drug researcher who has done foundational work in the field, and who grew up in a drug-addled Miami ghetto, is saying we'd be better off just legalizing and regulating everything I'm inclined to trust that science. Admittedly I'm leaning hard into my own existing biases here but I at the moment I give zero fucks.
    Good point.

Now imagine those same drivers rrreeeaaaallllll fuckin high on drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How many kids were taught not to do meth while simultaneously being prescribed Ritalin? One of the greatest hypocrisies of our time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

They already are. Got smoked going to work a few years ago by a oil patch worker heading back to the Okanagan on days off, doing the midnight haul, in his lifted F150 severely overloaded with a large 5th wheel. He was passing me (I'm doing the 100kph limit) and then swerved back into the lane well before his trailer cleared me. Took him almost 250m to stop. He comes out of his truck and his eyes rivalled the sunrise, along with other mannerisms suggesting some sort of stimulant was keeping him awake for his dash to Kelowna. Most dangerous part of my day, both work and play, is driving that highway.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    How many kids were taught not to do meth while simultaneously being prescribed Ritalin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    raises hand...
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Substance abuse programs would be a whole lot better funded if there were a bunch of upper middle class white folks with unfettered legal access to heroine.
    Upper middle class folks won't be lifting all boats with legal heroin. Many programs wouldn't even stoop low enough to accommodate the upper middle class.