Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Killington closed today

Like, closed. No lifts turning. Jay Peak, too. I'm guessing a few more.

Has this ever happened on a January Saturday due to cold? Is it a first? I can't remember another time.

wildcat, same deal.
    Loaf is open. Okemo, too.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Pico has some lifts running Kmart website says

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Well you guys can have a little of our global warming from out here in the south west.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

This cold snap has been the worst I can remember, then there is the wind.

Major infrastructure break downs, at work there have been 6 main water pipe breaks in little over a week not to mention equipment failures and frozen steam/condensate lines.

Next weekend looks like 40-50s and rain.
    watch out for snakes

Whiteface as well. Closed yesterday too. I’ve never seen that happen before.

Up to a balmy -10 , -19 summit with a nice breeze at my place base of the bush. Lower mountain lifts open but webcams and the lack of cars in the lot tell the story.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

11:15am Update-- The only lifts that are operating are at Spruce Peak and include the Meadows Quad, Adventure Triple, and Meadows Carpet. All lifts on Mount Mansfield are now closed for the day due to high winds.

-15 base -25 summit, get some
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I skied My Snow at those temperatures ,long ago

My helmet is usually very warm> my skull was freezing still, after only one run

Open your mouth while skiing at those temps, and your front teeth feel like they freeze instantly

We had that wind chill alert for -15 f to -25 f ,that day
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Alpine Meadows had something like 21 full closure days last season. Wind is generally the issue.

I remember skiing in -60° windchill at the top of Sugarloaf in the 80s. Another example of the pussification of America.

Skied Sunday River at -20 & windy one morning, in thin slalom pants. Two runs and done.

Three poncho day on Mt. Mansfield way back when ... -65 wind chill. Before helmets. At moderate speed, I got an "ice cream headache" from wind passing through my wool Moriarity cap. 3-4 runs and done.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    I skied My Snow at those temperatures ,long ago

My helmet is usually very warm> my skull was freezing still, after only one run

Open your mouth while skiing at those temps, and your front teeth feel like they freeze instantly

We had that wind chill alert for -15 f to -25 f ,that day
    it's not YOUR Snow, it's everybody's snow.
    My mom says they used to throw a big wool blanket over you at Stowe, on the chair, way back in the day. Anybody remember toe OLD gondi at Stowe ? I barely do.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    it's not YOUR Snow, it's everybody's snow.
    My mom says they used to throw a big wool blanket over you at Stowe, on the chair, way back in the day. Anybody remember toe OLD gondi at Stowe ? I barely do.
    They don't do that anymore? It's been at least 30 years since I was there (the days of the tandem single & double up Mt. Mansfield). The ponchos of which I spoke were dense, horse hair blankets they draped over the lift corral.

Killington had similar ones but not as good. They were capes (instead of ponchos) and once you sat on the chair it was real difficult to adjust them and hunker down for what was about to come.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-06-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Yup. Horse hair. Longer ago than 30 years

Sent from my LGMS330 using TGR Forums mobile app

Single ran until 85, I remember the blanket wrap there and at MRG. My Grandparents took me to Stowe in 68 to watch some heli picks during the gondola construction. Some days a blanket wouldn't be a bad idea.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Have a couple of the original blankets that Johnson Woolens made for Stowe back in the day. Cool keepsake from my childhood Stowe days...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    They don't do that anymore? It's been at least 30 years since I was there (the days of the tandem single & double up Mt. Mansfield). The ponchos of which I spoke were dense, horse hair blankets they draped over the lift corral.

Killington had similar ones but not as good. They were capes (instead of ponchos) and once you sat on the chair it was real difficult to adjust them and hunker down for what was about to come.

... Thom
    trip. sounds interesting

I didn't start skiing till the late 90s ,except as a kiddie longer b4> I wouldn't remember

I do need new keyboard to ease my typos back,this 1 sux
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I think the concern is more about liability for employees than for guests. Jay closed uphill access as well, they REALLY dont want to have to rescue anyone in this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

trick was to get them tucked in around your legs and not get to warm before the top 3rd when the wind and transport started to slam you.
    ​I am not in your hurry

That Mountain Double at K was brutal. I think about it sometimes flying up in a box.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I think the concern is more about liability for employees than for guests. Jay closed uphill access as well, they REALLY dont want to have to rescue anyone in this shit.
    I think it's just everybody. But, man, get caught on a chair for a period of time, it could be lethal. I got stuck on the Canyon Quad a few weeks ago in a 25 degree storm, and I just had to get off and eat a long lunch. I was really cold to the bone. This shit this weekend is ridiculous.
    I'm no huge fan of the KMART gondola, but, yeah, just imagine on a day like today, even if it was 15 degrees warmer, on the old double, which always stopped on me while I was dangling at the top over Cascade.

In Canada kids ski racing doesn't get cancelled in these conditions.

Nothing a hot Joisey babe could not fix. #knowwhatimsayin???