Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Anyone want to post up some cool videos from the dive?
    General LL and sunshine videos would be cool too. Not having any luck on youtube..

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Anyone want to post up some cool videos from the dive?
    General LL and sunshine videos would be cool too. Not having any luck on youtube..
    current? Dive and backside of LL are winter mode and empty. SSV and LL marketing facebook will have some too

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    current? Dive and backside of LL are winter mode and empty. SSV and LL marketing facebook will have some too
    Was more thinking just general stoke. Can be from whenever.

Btw, is sunshine open daily until may 20? Do they keep most of the mountain open?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Was more thinking just general stoke. Can be from whenever.

Btw, is sunshine open daily until may 20? Do they keep most of the mountain open?
    this was 2 years ago (me and spook)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zBCZczEqg

he has some other videos too

Dive and backside of LL are winter mode and empty.
    Actually yesterday in the Dive seemed like the busiest of the season, a surprising amount of people made it out of the Calgary carnage. Milky Way and Galaxy Chutes were skiing most excellently!

Is there a specific strain that is best?
    Tech talk I know....

HAd a beautiful view of the Rockies as I drove home at 8AM from dropping wife off at the airport.

Some new gear needed this winter and the ski shops are all closed until at least Sept. Getting itchy....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Old thread bump. I hate crowds.

If I come to ski Banff late Jan on a Thurs/Fri is it gonna be nuts?

That would be a no.

hard no

so Lake Louise Vs Mammoth, CA

MAM 3,500 acres ski-able terrain, serviced by 28 lifts, with a VERY busy long weekend hitting 20-25K people

LL 4200 acres ski-able terrain, serviced by 10 lifts, with a VERY busy long weekend hitting 7K people

^ ^ solid, thanks gents.

Planning a day at Sunshine and a day at LL, largely basis mntlion's "how to" thread. Was gonna stay at Sunshine Mountain lodge, but that's out now as we've added a third to our party who's on a different budget. Seems Canmore and Banff are both driveable to either, just added time. But wondering. If it's a storm day...much risk of getting trapped in town? Never been to the area, not sure if it's like LCC where if you're staying out in Sandy you could be on hold waiting for avy mitigation/road clearing instead of skiing.

how to ski banff

hard no

so Lake Louise Vs Mammoth, CA

MAM 3,500 acres ski-able terrain, serviced by 28 lifts, with a VERY busy long weekend hitting 20-25K people

LL 4200 acres ski-able terrain, serviced by 10 lifts, with a VERY busy long weekend hitting 7K people
    As a longtime employee & pass holder at Mammoth I’ll play along. I would say that the comments above are accurate, but for me the biggest is the bone chilling temperatures at SV/LL.

I’ll preference this with the fact that I’m a Californian born and raised and a West Coast skier. I’ve skied LL twice and SV twice on three different Powder Highway trips in late February & March. Had fun at both SV & LL, but we froze are balls off. Single digit highs, with an occasional heat wave with temps climbing into the teens. Full face coverage was mandatory. This was without any wind, it was that cold, Artic air.

Mammoth, it’s not like that. It gets windy here for sure, but even in January the daytime temps are typically very pleasant, with night time lows in the 20’s. Like I said, I’m a Californian, never skied East of Colorado, and am used to skiing a wetter and soggier coastal type snow pack, so the difference in the temperature really stood out to me. Good times skiing both places we’re had.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 11-23-2019 at 02:53 AM.

You should consider staying in Lake Louise if its only for a night or two, then you could also easily visit Kicking Horse for a day. If it snowed, the Calgary mob would be delayed in their arrival at the hill. If you stayed in Banff, there are several good restaurants and things to do after skiing. From Banff the drive to SSV is painless and the Lake is less than an hour away on a flat road. Just err on the side of an early start as the Trans Canada highway can be a real shit show in a snowstorm.

Thanks for thoughts.

We’re all native MInnesotans, so hopefully we can hack the cold.

We’re skiing Thurs/Fri so hopefully that’ll limit Calgary Mon-Fri’er population.

No significant risk of getting trapped in town. Sunshine road can close for avy work, but this doesn't happen very often (like hardly ever) and it doesn't take long to complete.

Banff to Lake Louise should always be clear.

Beyond Lake Louise, the highway can have some issues with avy work or slides across the road, but again, it's not that common....at least in the Rockies. Rogers Pass is another story.

LL is skiing VERY well right now, had another day today that far exceeded expectations for this time of year

and NO crowds

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...hrough-rockies

Looks like closures will be minimal in summer and ski season, sticking to shoulder season. But worth being aware....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...hrough-rockies

Looks like closures will be minimal in summer and ski season, sticking to shoulder season. But worth being aware....
    With much of the construction being in avalanche paths there couldn't be any real construction in winter even if they could cope with the cold and snow at road level.

Originally the Ministry of Transportation planned to do the construction without the long closures and diversions. I expect that all the potential bidders told them there wasn't a cat in hell's chance of them doing that without backing up westbound traffic all the way up the 10 mile hill and eastbound right through Golden.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    With much of the construction being in avalanche paths there couldn't be any real construction in winter even if they could cope with the cold and snow at road level.

Originally the Ministry of Transportation planned to do the construction without the long closures and diversions. I expect that all the potential bidders told them there wasn't a cat in hell's chance of them doing that without backing up westbound traffic all the way up the 10 mile hill and eastbound right through Golden.
    When we built the bridge a few years back, we did a lot of work in the winter, but we also had beacons on everyone that worked outside a machine, and got shut down a few times due to avy control work above us.

The last time I looked at a plan for this last section, it involved a couple cantilevered bridges and a section of road on the far side of the river. Not sure what the current design is, but that’s what it used to be.

I’m glad I’m not working on this section.

Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    As a longtime employee & pass holder at Mammoth I’ll play along. I would say that the comments above are accurate, but for me the biggest is the bone chilling temperatures at SV/LL.

I’ll preference this with the fact that I’m a Californian born and raised and a West Coast skier. I’ve skied LL twice and SV twice on three different Powder Highway trips in late February & March. Had fun at both SV & LL, but we froze are ball off. Single digit highs, with an occasional heat wave with temps clinging into the teens. Full face coverage was mandatory. This was without any wind, it was that cold, Artic air.

Mammoth, it’s not like that. It gets windy here for sure, but even in January the daytime temps are typically very pleasant, with night time lows in the 20’s. Like I said, I’m a Californian, never skied East of Colorado, and am used to skiing a wetter and soggier coastal type snow pack, so the difference in the temperature really stood out to me. Good times skiing both places we’re had.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I was in mammoth 2 winters ago, over pres day. First day the hill shut due to winds, next day the cold front moved in, hill was still busy for me, but I guess VERY quiet due to temps by local standards. Felt like a normal day in banff in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    The last time I looked at a plan for this last section, it involved a couple cantilevered bridges and a section of road on the far side of the river. Not sure what the current design is, but that’s what it used to be.

I’m glad I’m not working on this section.
    Nothing on the other side of the river - basically straightening out the current alignment with bridges and cuttings. However it will be interesting to see how much the successful bid differs from the Ministry's 'concept plan' (and how close the bids are to the already increased $600m budget). Really going to be a hairy project with lots of potential to go wrong - I bet CPR will have their lawyers on standby in case their line is blocked by rockfall (believe that happened during the original construction of the highway). Hope that we don't discover that ruling out a tunnel was a big and costly mistake (Ministry didn't like it because it would have been long enough to require manning 24/7).

Any beta on lift ticket options vs buying from skibig3.com for 2 day, party of 3? Currently $269 CAD a head for a day at Sunshine and a day at Louise--which is not outrageous.

All I can find is this Costco deal https://www.skibanff.com/explore/new...costco-tickets, which would be great if it was good at both hills...just purchase x 3 and we're sub $200 CAD each, but seems to be just for Sunshine (maybe).

Getting cheap lifts seems a pipe dream at times, but if there's anything out there appreciate it.

any skibig3 pass holder gets:

Access to four (4) additional Buddy Tickets at $89 so your friends can join you for a discounted day of skiing or riding at one of our three mountain resorts.

I've got a rocky mountain passport, so can't help.

also on banff/canmore kijjii, or facebook banff buy/sell pages.