Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Also consider one of the ski cards. Sunshine and Louise each have discount cards that pay for themselves after 2 ski days, and can be used for discounts at other hills like Panorama and Revelstoke.
    Louise: https://www.skilouise.com/louise_cards.php
    Sunshine: https://www.skibanff.com/ski-ride/pa...ine-super-card

The Costco lift ticket is just for Sunshine, whereas the SkiBig3 ticket can be used for Sunshine, LL or Norquay.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Planning a day at Sunshine and a day at LL, largely basis mntlion's "how to" thread. Was gonna stay at Sunshine Mountain lodge, but that's out now as we've added a third to our party who's on a different budget. Seems Canmore and Banff are both driveable to either, just added time. But wondering. If it's a storm day...much risk of getting trapped in town? Never been to the area, not sure if it's like LCC where if you're staying out in Sandy you could be on hold waiting for avy mitigation/road clearing instead of skiing.
    It's a bit of a late answer, but at Sunshine if you're stuck at the bottom due to avalanche control chances are most of the staff are too, so you're not missing much of anything.

cheap tickets in banff for First Responders

https://www.skibanff.com/explore/new...ghwiB3AZwJ1NOQ

Hey,
    Lot's of good info on this thread but just wondering if anyone has any tips for skiing LL on a Sat. I have a day there later this month on the way to KH and Revy. I get it that it's not Mammoth or Vail but there's probably areas/lifts to hit or avoid when it's busy?
    Also, I'll be hitting the road from YYC around 5:30pm on the Fri before up to LL. Not ideal timing but any guesses on how long that will take with the traffic etc?

Thanks a lot,

Quote Originally Posted by marcs44 View Post
    Hey,
    Lot's of good info on this thread but just wondering if anyone has any tips for skiing LL on a Sat. I have a day there later this month on the way to KH and Revy. I get it that it's not Mammoth or Vail but there's probably areas/lifts to hit or avoid when it's busy?
    Also, I'll be hitting the road from YYC around 5:30pm on the Fri before up to LL. Not ideal timing but any guesses on how long that will take with the traffic etc?

Thanks a lot,
    YYC to LL is 90 from the edge of the city

LL on a sat: Get to Larch, from the Gondi first thing, Then a few paradise laps, early lunch in upper temple lodge (sawers nook)

summit/paradise laps all afternoon

Great thanks a lot

Thanks for this awesome thread!
    I'm planning on heading up with the fam for our kids spring break in mid April. Sounds like conditions should be solid spring skiing to full-on winter at that time! And lots of great info on non-skiing stuff, too (just in case). Thanks.
    We are planning to ski SSV and LL. We are finding a really good deal on a hotel in LL and a good deal on a condo in Banff. I'm assuming it would be better to be in Banff, generally speaking, right? Would it be a huge pain to be staying at LL if we wanted to ski SSV and hit restaurants in Banff too?
    We will probably fly to Calgary and rent a car, but considering the shuttle (though with 4 of us, a car is usually same price or cheaper).
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    Thanks for this awesome thread!
    I'm planning on heading up with the fam for our kids spring break in mid April. Sounds like conditions should be solid spring skiing to full-on winter at that time! And lots of great info on non-skiing stuff, too (just in case). Thanks.
    We are planning to ski SSV and LL. We are finding a really good deal on a hotel in LL and a good deal on a condo in Banff. I'm assuming it would be better to be in Banff, generally speaking, right? Would it be a huge pain to be staying at LL if we wanted to ski SSV and hit restaurants in Banff too?
    We will probably fly to Calgary and rent a car, but considering the shuttle (though with 4 of us, a car is usually same price or cheaper).
    Thanks!

I would stay in banff. Way more things to do, eat, see.

Not sa huge pain it stay in LL, and better with a car, but better. Unless you really want a quiet, romantic get away.

Having just stayed in both Banff (ok, Canmore) and LL I’d also agree on staying in Banff. Although I think tons more condo options in Canmore.

We stayed in LL after skiing up there thinking we wouldn’t want to drive back to Canmore that evening. We all agreed afterwards it would have been fine, and maybe less hassle than relocating.

Bonus, tho, was early AM access to the Lake at sunrise. Before the hordes arrived.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3117.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	685.9 KB 
ID:	312689

My recommendation is to take take the Trans Canada Hwy to Banff... and then keep on driving and go to another community. This reduces your chances of getting an STI, being ran over by a terrible driver, or being persuaded to buy a Canada Goose parka.

That being said, Banff is beautiful and has all the ammenities. Just be comfortable with a bunch of people and budget on the high side.
    I like huge dumps.

Thanks guys! We are going in mid April, so I hope it isn't super crowded. And I'm pretty good at saying No to parka salesmen
    Sounds like skiing SV may be a better bet at that time than LL, so we are starting to look into Canmore also. I expect it would be a pretty easy drive from Canmore to SV that time of year? Like 30 min?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    Thanks guys! We are going in mid April, so I hope it isn't super crowded. And I'm pretty good at saying No to parka salesmen
    Sounds like skiing SV may be a better bet at that time than LL, so we are starting to look into Canmore also. I expect it would be a pretty easy drive from Canmore to SV that time of year? Like 30 min?

CMR to SSV maybe 45? + 20 min gondola ride bit over an hour from hotel to chairlift. LL is the same timing. longer drive, but no gondi.

also free bus service from BNF to SSV or LL. leaves every 30 min all over town. WELL worth doing (free, save the planet, have a beer after skiing/nap, etc)

April will NOT be crowded.

bump for a new season

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    bump for a new season
    Great info in here thx mtnlion. Due to some last minute issues we are reconsidering our Xmas plans and I was thinking about bringing the family up to Banff for the week before Xmas. How’s the snow looking so far this year? And if you stay right in town are you ok with not having a car and just taking the shuttles everywhere to ski, walk to food and drink? And how much complaining about the cold am I going to get from my California wife and daughters?

Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Great info in here thx mtnlion. Due to some last minute issues we are reconsidering our Xmas plans and I was thinking about bringing the family up to Banff for the week before Xmas. How’s the snow looking so far this year? And if you stay right in town are you ok with not having a car and just taking the shuttles everywhere to ski, walk to food and drink? And how much complaining about the cold am I going to get from my California wife and daughters?

this is current rockies thread (mostly banff)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rockies-thread

Snow is great. By end of the weekend all lifts will be spinning at LL. coverage is great, just had 100cm snow that came in wet, and left dry over 4 days (3-4 ft in freedom units)

shuttles are free/easy to the ski hills Pick up at most hotels, drop at front of ski lodge.
    $2? shuttles in town on local bus route. Some hotels will give you a pass for this too if you ask nice.
    Easy shuttle from airport to your hotel too. $60? / person

Most food/ drink in the 100-200 block of banff ave. But its only 10 - 15 min walk from almost any hotel to town (or $2 bus)

Complaining? No idea. banff CAN be cold, but not always (just like California is ALWAYS warm and sunny, right?) But its usually sunny, views are amazing, hotels have nice spas, and shopping too. Lots of options that are not skiing (ask hotel front desk, or see banff adventures, or discover banff tours)

bump: cuz banff is filling up for the holidays.

This thread has been super helpful, but looking for a bit of specific advice!

Planning a trip that goes from Calgary to Vancouver (I'm driving up from Jackson, have 4wd and snows). Our plan is mainly Revelstoke, but curious about some stops along the way. We've got Ikon so Lake Louise, Sunshine, Norquay are all on the pass. Kicking Horse is also on the way.

We've got 6 days of skiing planned - should we just do it all at Revelstoke? Looks like plenty of terrain. Or worth buying $400 of lift tickets at KH? Or, stopping in Banff for 1 or 2 days?

Thanks y'all, appreciate the input.

Revelstoke’s a good hill, but the bottom can be so so. I’d base my decision on current conditions and not let lift tickets factor in too much.

if you dont have to book anything, dont.

Reve is high risk stocks. its either amazing and mind blowing, or you will be hung over with coffee jitters.

banff is very safe, but dont get huge dumps (that said, reve is 700cm this year, LL and SSV around 550-600cm) so not too far behind. Banff almost never gets rain, and spring is not until april at best. "Spring/rain" can hit reve anytime.

Shredhead and mntlion, thanks for the advice. Is KH susceptible to rain like Revelstoke too?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Shredhead and mntlion, thanks for the advice. Is KH susceptible to rain like Revelstoke too?
    between

Both reve and KH the upper 1/3 to 1/2 is really fun skiing. the lower is more transportation terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    This thread has been super helpful, but looking for a bit of specific advice!

Planning a trip that goes from Calgary to Vancouver (I'm driving up from Jackson, have 4wd and snows). Our plan is mainly Revelstoke, but curious about some stops along the way. We've got Ikon so Lake Louise, Sunshine, Norquay are all on the pass. Kicking Horse is also on the way.

We've got 6 days of skiing planned - should we just do it all at Revelstoke? Looks like plenty of terrain. Or worth buying $400 of lift tickets at KH? Or, stopping in Banff for 1 or 2 days?

Thanks y'all, appreciate the input.
    The bottom half of Revy is kinda irrelevant since you'll do it twice a day at the most (or just once if you grab lunch at the shack instead of the lodge).

The caveat I'd put on KH is that it might be tough to get the full experience in a single day or two unless you link up with a local. The runs are so long that it can be tougher to dial in the goods. Bottom half can be a bit more annoying since you do it nearly every time. I wouldn't pay extra to do it over LL/Revy (especially on a weekend), but it's worth a trip of its own sometime.

LL>SSV. Norquay is quaint, but fun enough for a short/lazy throwback day. All else being equal I'd probably do a day each at SSV/LL, repeat the one you prefer and then do 3 at Revy. But just follow the snow.

Thanks Singel and mntlion. Appreciate the perspective on the different resorts. KH looks amazing in videos - just a reason to come back to BC in the future if we don't make it this trip.

Ski it in style
    If you can’t ski in style, ski it fast
    If you can’t ski in style or ski it fast, stay out of the way
    If you can’t stay out of the way, at least have a sense of humor about it.

Ski it in style
    If you can’t ski in style, ski it fast
    If you can’t ski in style or ski it fast, stay out of the way
    If you can’t stay out of the way, at least have a sense of humor about it.