Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...hain-up-routes

From the link:
    "Designated Winter Tire & Chain-up Routes

Winter tires or chains are required on most routes in British Columbia from October 1 to March 31. For select highways, including mountain passes and rural routes in high snowfall areas, the date will be extended until April 30 to account for early-spring snowfall.

These routes are marked with regulatory signs posted on numbered and un-numbered highways throughout the province. We reserve the right to restrict travel at any time of the year depending on road conditions.

These signs are enforced by the police, ministry or other enforcement officials. Motorists who are not compliant may be turned away, and be subject to a fine.

Link to map showing where closure area could be extended to April 30:
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dr...dfs/sirmap.pdf

So the hwy 1 9your route) from Sicamous through Revelstoke and over Rogers Pass are qualified to April 30

Also from same site:
    High Mountain Passes Winter Tire Requirements

While M+S tires with 3.5 mm tread is the minimum requirement for winter driving in B.C. it is highly recommended that you use mountain snowflake tires and carry chains while driving high mountain passes like the Coquihalla and the Malahat or anywhere that severe winter conditions are likely to occur.

It is the responsibility of the operator of any vehicle to understand the conditions on the roads they regularly drive and equip their vehicle for those conditions to ensure their own safety and the safety of others on the road.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    The rental company assured me the car has "snow tires". Do the M/S tires with proper tread still pass as legal snows?
    Unfortunately, M+S tires with 3.5 mm tread are officially 'winter tires' in BC - and are probably what is on your rental. You could also take chains - but if conditions are bad enough for YOU to chain up you have to remember that you will be mixing with aggressively driven unchained transports and pickups. A better option would be to wait until conditions improve.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Thinking of doing 3 or 4 nights in Banff over the last weekend in April (25-29) for the gf's birthday. She skis, but isn't quite as passionate about it as me, so we would likely only ski 1 or 2 days. I'm just starting to look into options for other things to do, but are there decent options in late April, or is it like most mountain towns in the U.S. where you're lucky if the grocery store is open 10-4 Monday-Thursday during mud season?

If we're driving up from western Washington at that time of year, would I better off keeping my true winter tires on (Blizzaks) or switching to my "summer" tires, which are still 3PMSF rated (K02)?

Given the favorable exchange rate and time of year, I am leaning toward booking a room at the Fairmont, but am certainly open to other lodging recs. We do a decent amount of AirBnb/VRBO type stuff, but I'm thinking more a hotel/lodge/BnB experience will be nicer for the occasion.

Neither of us have been before, so help a gaper out. Heh.
    fine either way with tires.

end of april should be spring, but CAN be winter too. Bring touring gear. rent bikes if needed, Summer is banff is busy, so everything is still open and running 100%.

Its a really nice to to come as its warmer, long days, and still can be witner snow

End of April or in to May it can feel like full blown winter at LL or SSV. It could also be warm, but 'bikini top' ski days are few and far between here.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    So more on snow tires...This is TGR afterall. We're landing in Kelowana, spending time at Revelstoke, then driving the pass to Banff. Well, that's the plan anyway. The rental company assured me the car has "snow tires". Do the M/S tires with proper tread still pass as legal snows? Or do you have to have actual winter tires to make this drive legal? Stupidity and not having proper tires is a whole other thing....Just curious about the laws

Gracias
    M+S means fuck all. The proper symbol is a mountain peak with a snowflake in the middle. I had a rental last week in Calgary because my truck was down, $44 for the rental PLUS another $20 for mountain snowflake rated tires.

Going to Banff over Easter for a family ski trip. I’ve skied there before, but this will be the first time with kids.

Any suggestions for kid friendly (ages 7 and 10) non-skiing activities?

Also, what’s the best deal for lift tickets? I have Ikon, so I could just use the friends and family 25% discount at the hills, but I’m wondering if Costco or somewhere else has better pricing.

Finally, what are the chances I will regret bringing Brahmas and not a wider ski this time of year?

After a week in the backcountry, I'm in Lake Louise for a couple of days. Any tips, pointers, conditions report would be appreciated. I may come back later in the week in conditions look good for getting on to the ice field.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Going to Banff over Easter for a family ski trip. I’ve skied there before, but this will be the first time with kids.

Any suggestions for kid friendly (ages 7 and 10) non-skiing activities?

Also, what’s the best deal for lift tickets? I have Ikon, so I could just use the friends and family 25% discount at the hills, but I’m wondering if Costco or somewhere else has better pricing.

Finally, what are the chances I will regret bringing Brahmas and not a wider ski this time of year?
    non skiing
    https://www.banffadventures.com/
    hike johnson lake (find hermets cabin)

tickets: 25% off is about the best. take the bus. have a beer after skiing or a nap on the way home

brahmas are fine: rent fatter if needed for pow day

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    After a week in the backcountry, I'm in Lake Louise for a couple of days. Any tips, pointers, conditions report would be appreciated. I may come back later in the week in conditions look good for getting on to the ice field.
    into the freeze thaw. start 10-11, follow sun. ER6&7 shoud be winter still

Back in Canmore now.

My advice: Boot heaters, green wax, all of the clothing.

Make sure to get the sweet patch for skiing the "big 3" (big 2 medium 1)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    all of the clothing.
    Mntlion and I were actually talking about that last week. You can tell the tourons because they're all WAY overdressed.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Check Costco. I picked up a 2-pack of day passes for 179.99 earlier this season. IF your local Costco doesn't have them, call the Calgary Costco and see if they do. I picked up 2 passes to kicking horse as well, but didn't end up using them.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Planning to stop in Banff for 24-48 hours on the way to Golden... via Calgary flights, on Friday/Saturday.

Questions:
    Most important:
    - About half of our group has IKON and is stoked to ride lifts on touring gear for a day or two... the other half probably don't want to buy day tickets... somewhere close to central Banff to go for some "exercise" skinning (low avi risk, half day skin recommendation)?

Less important:
    - Best grocery store for stocking up for a hut trip in Banff.... Nester's, or?... vs buy a week's worth of hut groceries in Golden?
    - Somewhere to fill airbag canisters in Banff? Monod sports? Or?

We're thinking of staying at Juniper Hotel. Good views?
    Recommendations of where to stay in Golden?
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

I'm just a tourist, others will most likely have better info.

somewhere close to central Banff to go for some "exercise" skinning (low avi risk, half day skin recommendation)?
    Thats gonna be tough. There are not many trailheads near Banff proper with any snow right now. It is probably melted out but Norquay might be an option. There may be some options on the road up to Sunshine but I wouldn't say that is low avi danger. Sunshine itself isn't really an option without a ticket. Places like Bow Summit and Parker Ridge are great but not exactly close.

Best grocery store for stocking up for a hut trip in Banff.... Nester's, or?... vs buy a week's worth of hut groceries in Golden?
    More options, better prices in Golden is my experience.

Somewhere to fill airbag canisters in Banff? Monod sports? Or?
    Call around. May be more difficult than it seems. Canmore and Golden are obviously better options. Consider shipping to a hotel full.

Why Banff? There are some cool things to do but it is kind of a touristy party place . Sunshine is a sweet ski area. If you are in the area I'd try and see Lake Louise and ski there and also try and get up on the Icefields Parks way. Nothing wrong with Banff but if you have a couple of days, you have way more options that hanging out it town.

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    Most important:
    - About half of our group has IKON and is stoked to ride lifts on touring gear for a day or two... the other half probably don't want to buy day tickets... somewhere close to central Banff to go for some "exercise" skinning (low avi risk, half day skin recommendation)?
    Looks like were in for a POW filled weekend...go to the resort! If some are truly in for 'exercise skinning' then they could always go up the Sunshine ski out while the ones with Ikon 'hoot it up' in a pow filled Dive...and then meet for lunch.

I think Monods does refills but you better call first as they don't seem to list services on their website. Was riding bike with Matt his weekend, rad family and as big as Monods is, I like supporting them.

Fuck Juniper though, multiple reasons I won't support that place. Maybe get groceries at Sobey's in Canmore? With your American advantage, splurge on Chuck's (best ambience in Banff, grass fed tenderloin with the mac n' cheese, so delicious). Wolf's or Bear's Den in Golden for burgers (your choice of any animal, Wild Boar YUMMMM).

Mary's in Golden is the cheap go to although you could check out Kicking Horse River Lodge as well as it will probably be empty. Lake Louise Inn or even the Hostel in Louise as it'll probably be empty.

Planning to stop in Banff for 24-48 hours on the way to Golden... via Calgary flights, on Friday/Saturday.

Questions:
    Most important:

SSV ski out, or LL ski out. I think norquay is closed, so you can use that terrain too?

Less important:
    - Best grocery store for stocking up for a hut trip in Banff.... Nester's, or?... vs buy a week's worth of hut groceries in Golden?
    - Somewhere to fill airbag canisters in Banff? Monod sports? Or?

nesters will have most stuff. and is quieter

Monods, ski up hill in canmore. vertical adication?

We're thinking of staying at Juniper Hotel. Good views?
    Recommendations of where to stay in Golden?
    amazing views,a nd nice resturant. Owner is a twitfuck,

see my list at the start of this thread for other options.

Thanks guys.

Called Monod sports and they confirmed able to refill Mammut canisters.

Sounds like Juniper (which I was choosing in part for the breakfast menu) is a better place to eat than to stay.

Is the Rimrock worth the uptick in price?
    vs Fairmount?

vs. a 3-star place like Mount Royal Hotel?

We were thinking of splurging for one night possibly.
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

Avalanche Safety Solutions in Golden fills and rents Mammut canisters

Thanks guys.

Sounds like Juniper (which I was choosing in part for the breakfast menu) is a better place to eat than to stay.

vs Fairmount?

Fuck Juniper on both hotel AND restaurant, overpriced BS food by even Banff standards. Better to stay in town anyways so you can walk everywhere.

I would go cheap on hotel and splurge on dinners, such excellent food. It's worth strolling the Banff Springs (Fairmont) and sneaking into the pool.

Thanks guys.

vs Fairmount?

Mount Royal has a superb location for 'urban Banff' - haven't stayed there since they had a big fire, but I think it re-opened almost a year ago now (disregard older reviews). Personally, I wouldn't want to stay much further down the 'strip' than Banff Aspen Lodge - at that point I'd rather be in Lake Louise or go somewhere secluded like Storm Mountain Lodge.

I think rooms at the Banff and LL Fairmonts can be terrible value...they're only nice places to stay if you want to spend more money at their restaurants and other amenities. Not sure about rooms at RimRock - I'd probably stay somewhere more moderate and splurge on a kick-ass meal at the RimRock, though.

Tourist perspective:

Rimrock is modern luxury, Fairmont Banff Springs is historical luxury (impressive building, smallish guest rooms), neither is near downtown (short drive or longish walk). Whether or not they are worth it depends on your priorities and finances. Banff Springs is considerably more expensive, so between the two I would say stay at Rimrock and visit Banff Springs, or stay at a mid-range hotel in central Banff and splurge on a nice meal as others have suggested. There should also be lots of condos available for cheap in Canmore this time of year if you prefer that.

If you are considering skinning up the Lake Louise or Sunshine ski outs for exercise, maybe Moraine Lake road (near LL, it's an xc ski trail in winter) or the actual Lake Louise (still frozen) would be more interesting.

I have an unregistered Sunshine Super Card with only the first day used if anybody wants it (for free).

[QUOTE}Avalanche Safety Solutions [/QUOTE]

closed on weekends at this time of year, but I did call Mountain Motor Sports (open 9-5 on Saturdays, closed Sundays) in town who does do it, 250-344-6100

Tourist perspective:

Rimrock is modern luxury, Fairmont Banff Springs is historical luxury (impressive building, smallish guest rooms), neither is near downtown (short drive or longish walk). Whether or not they are worth it depends on your priorities and finances. Banff Springs is considerably more expensive, so between the two I would say stay at Rimrock and visit Banff Springs, or stay at a mid-range hotel in central Banff and splurge on a nice meal as others have suggested. There should also be lots of condos available for cheap in Canmore this time of year if you prefer that.

If you are considering skinning up the Lake Louise or Sunshine ski outs for exercise, maybe Moraine Lake road (near LL, it's an xc ski trail in winter) or the actual Lake Louise (still frozen) would be more interesting.

I have an unregistered Sunshine Super Card with only the first day used if anybody wants it (for free).
    AWESOME! THANK YOU for the Info! Might have to take you up on this Sunshine Super Card!

Mount Royal hotel post-recovery is much better than pre-fire. They killed their lounge, though, which I used to love. Great warm feel. Now an industrial sports lounge. Not at all special. If you want a kick ass meal, the Maple Leaf is very good as well, and pricey. Their game is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk