Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I prefer Kicking Horse to Lake Louise, Sunshine, and Revelstoke. It's worth a day or two, in my opinion.

You'll come for the upper mountain, but I think the lower, or at least the middle third is a bit better than it's reputation. The cut runs have pretty decent fall line. It is somewhat reminiscent of the cut runs Larch/Ptarmigan area at Louise. Fun bumps if you have the legs...and like bumps. Otherwise, a lot of folks just zip down Wiley, but it's a pretty nice cruiser.

Rain isn't a big issue at Kicking Horse. The base is 400 meters lower than Lake Louise's but 700 meters higher than Revelstoke's base. The "north" faces of the ridges are really shady, so snow stays pretty good.

You'll have a lot of fun at the IKON/Collective resorts too. Your chance of a powder day is much higher at Revelstoke than Louise. Louise is reporting 491 cm mid mountain and Revelstoke is reporting 853 cm. The difference is significant, but Louise skis better between storms, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Thanks Singel and mntlion. Appreciate the perspective on the different resorts. KH looks amazing in videos - just a reason to come back to BC in the future if we don't make it this trip.
    Hey Pinned, is this trip planned for this season? I have some discounted ticket passes for KH, at $87 CAD each if you’re looking to visit this year, far better than ticket window price.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    Hey Pinned, is this trip planned for this season? I have some discounted ticket passes for KH, at $87 CAD each if you’re looking to visit this year, far better than ticket window price.

Cheers
    Amazing - I'll PM you!

New member here. Hi!

Typed a longer message, it got lost somewhere. Here's TL/DR version.

Going to stay in Banff last week of March. First time skiing in the mountains for the kids (9 and 12). They'll do one day of lessons at SVV to kick off the skiing. I have some BOGO coupons for KH, is KH fun for beginner kids?

I've only been to KH for about 4 hours in the summer, so don't have first hand knowledge. I would like to ski there, but not at the expense of wife and kids having bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ204 View Post
    is KH fun for beginner kids?
    It's not bad if you check the grooming report. There is limited beginner terrain up top, but what is there is doable by even the most beginner skier. Most really enjoy the view. I used to send my daughter the easy way from gondy top, while I would blast a top chute and meet her in the bowl. Ride the upper chair a few times and then enjoy a mid-mountain cruiser to the bottom. There are numerous good places to meet (usually the exit of the bowls) which allow you to ride the lift together, while you ski some more of your flavour and then meet up to cruise the lower groomers together.

In all honesty the lower quad and pioneer double are awesome groomers for the beginner/intermediate, but not worth the price of a full lift ticket.

Thanks! Will see how it goes once we get there.

For for a June hotel tip/recommendation. Need 1 night, maybe 2 prior to starting Tour Divide June 10th. I've previously used the YWCA for a single room and it was just fine, obviously not fancy but clean and quiet. They are apparently booked and full.

Any other recommendations in town for reasonably priced and centrally located? I've thought about Canmore, but would like to avoid the ride to the start prior to the race.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    For for a June hotel tip/recommendation. Need 1 night, maybe 2 prior to starting Tour Divide June 10th. I've previously used the YWCA for a single room and it was just fine, obviously not fancy but clean and quiet. They are apparently booked and full.

Any other recommendations in town for reasonably priced and centrally located? I've thought about Canmore, but would like to avoid the ride to the start prior to the race.

Spooky runs the rundlestone lodge. Nice mid range place. PM him?

Odds are the YWCA is not taking any guests this summer

I'm an independant bike mechanic in banff. message me if you need a hand.

Thanks Mtn, I already have you book marked for reference in the bike dept.

bump

So this is the exact OPPOSITE of a nice romatic hotel room, but it SURE is cheap

https://hihostels.ca/en/about/hostel...s-seasons-pass

bump: Cuz banff is starting to get busy again

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    bump: Cuz banff is starting to get busy again
    Steady - Edie PSA! Keep it coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Wife & I will be spending a week in Banff in February, so this thread is greatly appreciated.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Wife & I will be spending a week in Banff in February, so this thread is greatly appreciated.
    Hopefully we have snow by then!

bump: for "justcuz"

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    bump: for "justcuz"
    Ma man. Thanks Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I haven't read the entire thread so the following may have already been mentioned but it is worth repeating anyways:
    Banff can get brutal cold in mid winter. When the cold snaps come they are always colder and last longer in Alberta vs B.C due to being farther inland and higher base elevation in Banff resorts.
    So, Banff is best skied starting in mid March to April or even May depending what kind of a snow year it has been. I'm not sure if they still offer it but in the past I have purchased a Spring Pass for LL (also one available for The Big3) good for March-April with both a midweek only and full 7 days/week pass available.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread so the following may have already been mentioned but it is worth repeating anyways:
    Banff can get brutal cold in mid winter. When the cold snaps come they are always colder and last longer in Alberta vs B.C due to being farther inland and higher base elevation in Banff resorts.
    So, Banff is best skied starting in mid March to April or even May depending what kind of a snow year it has been. I'm not sure if they still offer it but in the past I have purchased a Spring Pass for LL (also one available for The Big3) good for March-April with both a midweek only and full 7 days/week pass available.
    Ahh Banff Great memories.!
    It’s been 38yrs since I was there last in February it was a comfortable 20°f when I was there but the week before it was-40°f = to -40c Fak !!!!!!

yup It CAN get cold, but WAY less stupid cold days in banff, then rain days in fernie/reve. At least its really pretty when its that cold.

Also WAY less cold days then in the past. And more snow. Bring on global warming!!!

Found this out the hard way. Planned a trip for early/mid march figuring it wouldn't be obnoxiously cold at that point, just regular cold. Nope. Not sure it got above -25°F the whole week I was there. I think the coldest we saw was -38°F one morning loading up the car. I got some light frostbite on a few toes which was annoying. I'd love to get back and explore some more with temps where I can actually feel my extremities.

Had so much fun skiing the sunshine park(s) in the spring, and barely a freestyle skier, but will be getting a spring pass this year and camping out for sure!

Tried to hike up and jump on to midstation when there was no snow anywhere in may was pretty awkward lol

Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post
    Found this out the hard way. Planned a trip for early/mid march figuring it wouldn't be obnoxiously cold at that point, just regular cold. Nope. Not sure it got above -25°F the whole week I was there. I think the coldest we saw was -38°F one morning loading up the car. I got some light frostbite on a few toes which was annoying. I'd love to get back and explore some more with temps where I can actually feel my extremities.
    We've had a few REALLY cold spats this last few years. Normally its a few days, but it's been stretching into weeks/months. Even at pano last December we hit something like -35c for 6 days in a row during a ski racing program. Not a fan.

Completely fucked the snowpack as well. Seemed only the interior was able to recover by March and that's where I spent most of that month.

Quay opens friday!

I’ve got 5 days booked for first week of Feb. Going in blind, so would very much appreciate any suggestions (not much here since Covid) and terrain tips. Planning to stick to SsV and LL. Any sidecountry or single day guided tours recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums