Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 148
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    First thanks again mntlion for this post. It was super helpful for a pair of Midwest based MTN collective passholes last year. We had a banger time but left a few bars in Banff unexplored... and it looks like we're going to go back in late Feb and just base out of Banff and stay there, instead of driving to Revy and hitting everything along the way (although I need a do-over at KH). That said... how easy is it to do the SSV/LL ski bus shuttle thing? Does it fill up? Is there slap boxing on a powder day? Can I ski-tow off the back?

    Does it head a particular way down Banff Ave where, all things being equal, I'd could pick a hotel that's early on the route? I've always rented a SUV for ski trips but Altabird cured me of that, so would like to save cash and all the baby bears if I can. Thanks!
    Usually its NOT a problem to get the bus, but Hotels on the non-downtown end are the first pickups. "spooky" on the board, is a usuall ski partner of mine, and is front desk at the "rundle stone" Dont think that any maggot discounts are avail, but worth saying hi, and supporting him

    Maybe you can ski with him, he's OK I guess
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=mntlion


  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8
    How reliable are early season conditions at Banff (and Revy)?

    Debating between a week at Banff/Revy vs. Big Sky/Jackson for the week before Christmas and wonder what would be a safer bet at that time of year.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Down by the river, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    3,098
    Week before xmas you're shaking the dice anywhere in the northern world. Except perhaps above the arctic circle.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    banff is a safer bet I think. We open early nov (9?th) so at least crews are working on the terrain in our area for 8+ weeks by then

    reve is a shorter season, more snow, later opening, so also should be OK up high. Also check out kicking horse.

    if needed, lots of non-skiing things to do as well. plus the banff area is 2 LARGE resorts + norquay at medium size


  5. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Exiled from Maine
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Maybe you can ski with him, he's OK I guess
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=mntlion
    I don't travel with enough underwear to attempt those lines. SSV was our 6th of 6 days last year and we were too crushed to do the dive; 2019 alpha goal if open.

    Thanks again for the Banff Beta. Will look up Rundlestone... On the collective site, Inns of Banff shows up as $59/night US. That's like four beers at a Blackhawks game.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    most places should be $100 ish CND / night. so $60 US is about right


  7. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Down by the river, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    banff is a safer bet I think. We open early nov (9?th) so at least crews are working on the terrain in our area for 8+ weeks by then
    reve is a shorter season, more snow, later opening, so also should be OK up high. Also check out kicking horse.
    if needed, lots of non-skiing things to do as well. plus the banff area is 2 LARGE resorts + norquay at medium size
    Yep good point.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the help, think we will probably end up sticking with the Canada trip due to the gf wanting to see Banff during xmas time.

    Looking good so far with respect to snow for Banff in early October according to some of the weather models. Hopefully indicative of things to come.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    banff is skiing great right now (and pond skating is amazing too)


  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    357
    Thanks for the info... coming to Banff in March for a week. Usually go to Bridger but headed North this year for a change of pace.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,945
    Thanks Dave

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    entrapped
    Posts
    918
    Great beta. Thx!

    Likely heading to powder highway for 7-10 days first half of February with wife (advanced skier,) 3 year old (hula hoop greeen monster), feaux grandma (expert skier,) feaux grandpa (advanced skier.) Me (would prefer to live in a van and chase steep fresh ala kh/revy/castle.)

    Preferences for airfare in advance to Calgary (maybe; however unlikely spokanistan,) last minute lodging for chasing best conditions, lodging at ski area for kiddo naps, childcare for a.m. adult laps, 4wd rental vehicle for 4 adults one kiddo and 9 pair of sticks. No ski touring on this trip. Nightlife doesn't matter. Pool is nice but unnecessary. Fucj life has gone from dirtbag to complicated quickly.

    I understand banff is great for mixed groups. Aside from the three year old who is appropriately a pain in the ass at times the rest of the crew isn't. They like to rally for the best snow.

    A few pertinent questions that i haven't found suggests answers to:

    Availability of last minute lodging at ski areas, ideally slopeside, 1st half of February? Or is it necessary to book in advance.

    Where the hell do we rent a 4wd van/ monster suv in calgary that can fit 4 adults, a toddler and 9 pairs of sticks? I just get lost in all the redirect fake car rental broker sites.

    How's a.m. childcare at revy, LL/ SSC, KH, pano? What about castle?

    Thinking pano with a good forecast might be a good destination for half the trip for us.

    Anyone need a spot filled for cat/heli for a day? I would happily rally especially if it's a strong group. Pretty sketched to roll the dice on group dynamics/acumen.

    Thx in advance! Will be holding scotch for parking lot apres sharing








    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,088
    Wrt rental vehicles I had a good experience getting a 4wd Jeep from Routes Car Rentals at YYC. Decent rate and good service. They might have larger vehicles.
    24° 06°

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    229

    how to ski banff

    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Great beta. Thx!

    Likely heading to powder highway for 7-10 days first half of February with wife (advanced skier,) 3 year old (hula hoop greeen monster), feaux grandma (expert skier,) feaux grandpa (advanced skier.) Me (would prefer to live in a van and chase steep fresh ala kh/revy/castle.)

    Preferences for airfare in advance to Calgary (maybe; however unlikely spokanistan,) last minute lodging for chasing best conditions, lodging at ski area for kiddo naps, childcare for a.m. adult laps, 4wd rental vehicle for 4 adults one kiddo and 9 pair of sticks. No ski touring on this trip. Nightlife doesn't matter. Pool is nice but unnecessary. Fucj life has gone from dirtbag to complicated quickly.

    I understand banff is great for mixed groups. Aside from the three year old who is appropriately a pain in the ass at times the rest of the crew isn't. They like to rally for the best snow.

    A few pertinent questions that i haven't found suggests answers to:

    Availability of last minute lodging at ski areas, ideally slopeside, 1st half of February? Or is it necessary to book in advance.

    Where the hell do we rent a 4wd van/ monster suv in calgary that can fit 4 adults, a toddler and 9 pairs of sticks? I just get lost in all the redirect fake car rental broker sites.

    How's a.m. childcare at revy, LL/ SSC, KH, pano? What about castle?

    Thinking pano with a good forecast might be a good destination for half the trip for us.

    Anyone need a spot filled for cat/heli for a day? I would happily rally especially if it's a strong group. Pretty sketched to roll the dice on group dynamics/acumen.

    Thx in advance! Will be holding scotch for parking lot apres sharing








    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    I have a place at Pano and think it is the best family resort bar none. A really great range of terrain for all levels. I know low on your priority, but the kids love the pools and adults can enjoy as well. If you avoid Family Day long weekend, should be able to get decent prices. Buddy has a 3 bedroom penthouse, not sure if he can pull it from rental pool, but might do a deal if he can. Depends if it is taken, the 3 bedrooms are in high demand. Try the Panoramaresort.com as a first try, high country properties is another with houses you can rent. If you go through High Country, they won’t always be on-Mountain, so may not have pool access. If you want, I can get you cards and happy to pass on. I have nothing to go on, but also a Panoramavacations.com. There are buses that run from the resort to Invermere that can get you down and back.

    Car rentals, if you have a points program, try that. Car rental up here for premium vehicles can be insane.

    Pano has an awesome daycare (Used to be called Wee Wascals May now be PanoKids) also, and they will take the kids out for an hour or two magic carpet ski if you get their gear. Suggest booking in advance. Last few years occupancy has been high, so last minute can be dicey.

    https://www.panoramaresort.com
    https://highcountryproperties.com
    https://panoramavacations.com

    The on-hill units are all condos with full kitchens, so you can cook in. On hill food, for the most part is OK. This year, they have a food cat. Yes, a full snow cat with a food truck on top and will be at various locations around the mountain. Haven’t tried the food yet, but it is a cool concept.

    T-Bar is the bar, kids allowed until 730 or 8.
    Eleven 50 is more upscale, haven’t tried the food this year, has never had a great rep
    JackPine is a bar, mainly staff, never been there, it is in the lower village.
    Main lodge for typical ski resort lunch fare.

    The Cabin restaurant is across the street from condos in the upper village. Awesome real BBQ, and fun vibe. Oh yeah, Grey’s Lodge is a B&B on hill. Maybe give it a shot for accommodations.

    For non downhill days, there is snowshoeing and cross country skiing on GreyWolf golf course and a trail that runs around the resort. You can also x-country out to Hale Hut which is 15-20km round trip.

    RK Heli ski does heli by the day. Awesome terrain and well run op. Can do stand-by days for a slightly lower price if you don’t mind last minute call up.

    I am currently unemployed, so if you decide to go, and I am out there, happy to guide you around some secret stashes. PM me for private email/cell.

    What I Miss?




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Great beta. Thx!

    Likely heading to powder highway for 7-10 days first half of February with wife (advanced skier,) 3 year old (hula hoop greeen monster), feaux grandma (expert skier,) feaux grandpa (advanced skier.) Me (would prefer to live in a van and chase steep fresh ala kh/revy/castle.)

    Preferences for airfare in advance to Calgary (maybe; however unlikely spokanistan,) last minute lodging for chasing best conditions, lodging at ski area for kiddo naps, childcare for a.m. adult laps, 4wd rental vehicle for 4 adults one kiddo and 9 pair of sticks. No ski touring on this trip. Nightlife doesn't matter. Pool is nice but unnecessary. Fucj life has gone from dirtbag to complicated quickly.

    I understand banff is great for mixed groups. Aside from the three year old who is appropriately a pain in the ass at times the rest of the crew isn't. They like to rally for the best snow.

    A few pertinent questions that i haven't found suggests answers to:

    Availability of last minute lodging at ski areas, ideally slopeside, 1st half of February? Or is it necessary to book in advance.

    Where the hell do we rent a 4wd van/ monster suv in calgary that can fit 4 adults, a toddler and 9 pairs of sticks? I just get lost in all the redirect fake car rental broker sites.

    How's a.m. childcare at revy, LL/ SSC, KH, pano? What about castle?

    Thinking pano with a good forecast might be a good destination for half the trip for us.

    Anyone need a spot filled for cat/heli for a day? I would happily rally especially if it's a strong group. Pretty sketched to roll the dice on group dynamics/acumen.

    Thx in advance! Will be holding scotch for parking lot apres sharing








    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    As long as you are not on “family day” long weekend in feb it should be fine.

    No idea on car. But free easy bus to all Banff ski areas so might not need it. Also easy bus from airport to hotels.

    Kid care is good I hear at LL, Ssv. Maybe a bit limited at reve, Kh. More limited Castle. But call or email and ask.

    Castle and reve are 3-4 hours from Banff. Not really a day trip

    Pano is good family and if it gets snow great. Kh is 90 min. So is LL or Ssv. Day heli out of RK in pano. Ask at office for a day rate with a good group.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums


  17. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    entrapped
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    I have a place at Pano and think it is the best family resort bar none. A really great range of terrain for all levels. I know low on your priority, but the kids love the pools and adults can enjoy as well. If you avoid Family Day long weekend, should be able to get decent prices. Buddy has a 3 bedroom penthouse, not sure if he can pull it from rental pool, but might do a deal if he can. Depends if it is taken, the 3 bedrooms are in high demand. Try the Panoramaresort.com as a first try, high country properties is another with houses you can rent. If you go through High Country, they won’t always be on-Mountain, so may not have pool access. If you want, I can get you cards and happy to pass on. I have nothing to go on, but also a Panoramavacations.com. There are buses that run from the resort to Invermere that can get you down and back.

    Car rentals, if you have a points program, try that. Car rental up here for premium vehicles can be insane.

    Pano has an awesome daycare (Used to be called Wee Wascals May now be PanoKids) also, and they will take the kids out for an hour or two magic carpet ski if you get their gear. Suggest booking in advance. Last few years occupancy has been high, so last minute can be dicey.

    https://www.panoramaresort.com
    https://highcountryproperties.com
    https://panoramavacations.com

    The on-hill units are all condos with full kitchens, so you can cook in. On hill food, for the most part is OK. This year, they have a food cat. Yes, a full snow cat with a food truck on top and will be at various locations around the mountain. Haven’t tried the food yet, but it is a cool concept.

    T-Bar is the bar, kids allowed until 730 or 8.
    Eleven 50 is more upscale, haven’t tried the food this year, has never had a great rep
    JackPine is a bar, mainly staff, never been there, it is in the lower village.
    Main lodge for typical ski resort lunch fare.

    The Cabin restaurant is across the street from condos in the upper village. Awesome real BBQ, and fun vibe. Oh yeah, Grey’s Lodge is a B&B on hill. Maybe give it a shot for accommodations.

    For non downhill days, there is snowshoeing and cross country skiing on GreyWolf golf course and a trail that runs around the resort. You can also x-country out to Hale Hut which is 15-20km round trip.

    RK Heli ski does heli by the day. Awesome terrain and well run op. Can do stand-by days for a slightly lower price if you don’t mind last minute call up.

    I am currently unemployed, so if you decide to go, and I am out there, happy to guide you around some secret stashes. PM me for private email/cell.

    What I Miss?




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wow! Dan, you are the MAN! Thx for taking the time. I'll pm you as our plans evolve

    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    entrapped
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    As long as you are not on “family day” long weekend in feb it should be fine.

    No idea on car. But free easy bus to all Banff ski areas so might not need it. Also easy bus from airport to hotels.

    Kid care is good I hear at LL, Ssv. Maybe a bit limited at reve, Kh. More limited Castle. But call or email and ask.

    Castle and reve are 3-4 hours from Banff. Not really a day trip

    Pano is good family and if it gets snow great. Kh is 90 min. So is LL or Ssv. Day heli out of RK in pano. Ask at office for a day rate with a good group.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thx mtnlion great beta! I'll have to search about family day. We don't do that in the states.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Thx mtnlion great beta! I'll have to search about family day. We don't do that in the states.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Monday
    , February 18
    Family Day 2019 in Canada


    so try to plan the week before or after. But its REALLY not that bad compared to Pres day weekend


  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Monday
    , February 18
    Family Day 2019 in Canada


    so try to plan the week before or after. But its REALLY not that bad compared to Pres day weekend
    Might be a bit different this year because it will be the first time that British Columbia Family Day is the same date as Alberta (previously BC was one week earlier).

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,364
    bump for people with questions


  22. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Not Enough Sun and Too Many People
    Posts
    4,856
    Thinking of doing 3 or 4 nights in Banff over the last weekend in April (25-29) for the gf's birthday. She skis, but isn't quite as passionate about it as me, so we would likely only ski 1 or 2 days. I'm just starting to look into options for other things to do, but are there decent options in late April, or is it like most mountain towns in the U.S. where you're lucky if the grocery store is open 10-4 Monday-Thursday during mud season?

    If we're driving up from western Washington at that time of year, would I better off keeping my true winter tires on (Blizzaks) or switching to my "summer" tires, which are still 3PMSF rated (K02)?

    Given the favorable exchange rate and time of year, I am leaning toward booking a room at the Fairmont, but am certainly open to other lodging recs. We do a decent amount of AirBnb/VRBO type stuff, but I'm thinking more a hotel/lodge/BnB experience will be nicer for the occasion.

    Neither of us have been before, so help a gaper out. Heh.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Thinking of doing 3 or 4 nights in Banff over the last weekend in April (25-29) for the gf's birthday. She skis, but isn't quite as passionate about it as me, so we would likely only ski 1 or 2 days. I'm just starting to look into options for other things to do, but are there decent options in late April, or is it like most mountain towns in the U.S. where you're lucky if the grocery store is open 10-4 Monday-Thursday during mud season?

    If we're driving up from western Washington at that time of year, would I better off keeping my true winter tires on (Blizzaks) or switching to my "summer" tires, which are still 3PMSF rated (K02)?

    Given the favorable exchange rate and time of year, I am leaning toward booking a room at the Fairmont, but am certainly open to other lodging recs. We do a decent amount of AirBnb/VRBO type stuff, but I'm thinking more a hotel/lodge/BnB experience will be nicer for the occasion.

    Neither of us have been before, so help a gaper out. Heh.
    By no means and expert, but I stayed in Banff last year around that time and skied SSV. Everything in Banff seemed to be open and happening and the skiing was still really good. Mt. Norquay had closed right around that time but SSV and LL were still open. Skiing was really good and ranged from spring condish to pow while I was there. My only regret was not having brought touring gear.
    24° 06°

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    229

    how to ski banff

    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Thinking of doing 3 or 4 nights in Banff over the last weekend in April (25-29) for the gf's birthday. She skis, but isn't quite as passionate about it as me, so we would likely only ski 1 or 2 days. I'm just starting to look into options for other things to do, but are there decent options in late April, or is it like most mountain towns in the U.S. where you're lucky if the grocery store is open 10-4 Monday-Thursday during mud season?

    If we're driving up from western Washington at that time of year, would I better off keeping my true winter tires on (Blizzaks) or switching to my "summer" tires, which are still 3PMSF rated (K02)?

    Given the favorable exchange rate and time of year, I am leaning toward booking a room at the Fairmont, but am certainly open to other lodging recs. We do a decent amount of AirBnb/VRBO type stuff, but I'm thinking more a hotel/lodge/BnB experience will be nicer for the occasion.

    Neither of us have been before, so help a gaper out. Heh.
    Depending on your route, travelling Washington State to Banff, if you are going through mountain passes (Kootenay Pass on Hwy 93 from Radium to Castle Junction), while it is usually pretty clear by then, there is a chance of snowstorms. The legal requirement is to have winter tires on the vehicle until March 31. I usually remove my snow tires late April or early May. If sticking to more valley type driving, all-seasons should be more than fine.

    In terms of other stuff to do, if still open, you can look at dog sledding out of Canmore. Friend and his family did that several years ago and had a riot. At lower elevations, if the weather has been dry,mountain biking may be an option. There is also the Canmore-Banff Legacy trail, a paved route between Canmore and Banff you can ride on pavement, about 23 km. You can also ride the Bow Valley Parkway (1A) between Banff and Castle Mountain. Again, weather dependent.

    Most area ski resorts (NOT LL or SSV) close closer to April 8 or 15. LL and SSV usually go well into May. Conditions are usually pretty soft, though can be hard boiled early in AM, the perfect corn comes up mid-late morning, turning to slush later in the afternoon, depending on aspect and elevation. Lower half of LL is usually slush by 2PM, but higher up and back side/Temple can still ride like mid-winter.

    Will try to come up with other stuff....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    The legal requirement is to have winter tires on the vehicle until March 31. I usually remove my snow tires late April or early May. If sticking to more valley type driving, all-seasons should be more than fine.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So more on snow tires...This is TGR afterall. We're landing in Kelowana, spending time at Revelstoke, then driving the pass to Banff. Well, that's the plan anyway. The rental company assured me the car has "snow tires". Do the M/S tires with proper tread still pass as legal snows? Or do you have to have actual winter tires to make this drive legal? Stupidity and not having proper tires is a whole other thing....Just curious about the laws

    Gracias

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •