Teachers, what's going on?

Here's an article I thought was interesting....
    "There’s a reason using a period in a text message makes you sound angry"
    http://qz.com/1169792/theres-a-reaso...u-sound-angry/

Now that I got your attention, I think there were some very bad teachers somewhere around 12-20 years ago, who were so bad at the English language that they started teaching it wrong. I'm talking about I versus me.

First off, away from an academic/professional setting is it just me or is this correct?

1. if the academically correct word is I, it's okay to use me instead cuz it sounds fine and informal...
    "Me and Julio are down by the schoolyard" is how people chit chat. The academically correct sentence would of course be "Julio and I are down by the schoolyard" but nobody cares cuz the former sounds better.

2. if the academically correct word is me, me should always be used...
    Nobody would ever say "This is a photo of I" but all the time idiots say "This is a photo of Julio and I". I think somewhere along the line more than half of all teachers got confused about this and started teaching their poor students that when in doubt use I. This really ticks me off!

So what's going on? Is my theory correct, that they were actually teaching it wrong? It's so ubiquitous I think that's the only explanation.

Parents are responsible for most grammar lessons
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Things in life make much, much more sense if you just keep repeating this simple fact; "people ruin everything."

The rule of thumb is pretty simple, too. Get rid of Julio in your examples and see whether "me" or "I" makes more sense. It seems like if teachers just taught that most people would get it right.

Me fail engrish? That unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Things in life make much, much more sense if you just keep repeating this simple fact; "people ruin everything."
    This is the universal salve; apply to every problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The rule of thumb is pretty simple, too. Get rid of Julio in your examples and see whether "me" or "I" makes more sense. It seems like if teachers just taught that most people would get it right.
    Yeah, subjective/objective case is actually pretty simple, but idiomatically we accept a lot of 'incorrect' usage. The fact is that a lot of teachers (even English teachers) regularly use and write pronouns in the 'wrong' case (scare quotes because language exists as it is spoken, not as the rules dictate, but that's a much, much longer discussion).

Shakespeare: Woe is me ("Woe Is I" is the title of a pretty good book focusing on these sorts of grammar issues).
    [quote][//quote]

language exists as it is spoken, not as the rules dictate
    Yes. I'm gonna start tending to text more like the OP article's informal examples.

Looks like that book has a website
    Student athlete postgame interview = Communications major
    Dumb boss example (I think he had a dumb teacher)

Knock knock

Who's there?

To

To who?

TO WHOM!!!