Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    yesterday

wow! the view of how high that bridge is with the tipped truck is terrifying

stay safe pnw/bc mags
    skid luxury

I don't think the wipers will help

https://twitter.com/BreakingSkagit/s...22947567026179

The City of Submerged Excitement

This is just the Fraser Valley section, but the whole Nooksack is flooded.

]
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I call bullshit on that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Naw man, like totally real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    "Lake Fairhaven"

Attachment 392912

Saw a few kayaks around town. Amusing as it is, maybe there's something more helpful you could be doing...
    Kayaks on roof racks=lifeboats

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

stay safe pnw/bc mags
    Why Deception Pass was open and what possessed that trucker to cross are questions that need answers. On a good day that pass is gnarly.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Jeezuz, I hope I never get flooded out like that. Yeahman, good idea living on the high ground.
    except those hillsides are clay and prone to slides. Good idea getting out of there Yeahman.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

stay safe pnw/bc mags
    One of the coolest/scariest bridges in the USA. Whats crazy is that they spent the last month re painting and re structuring that guard rail.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    One of the coolest/scariest bridges in the USA. Whats crazy is that they spent the last month re painting and re structuring that guard rail.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    If the fall doesn’t kill you the current will

A look at Mt. Vernon's temporary flood wall installation along the Skagit. Purchased in 2017 I'd say it's already paid for itself. The river has crested a foot below the prediction. Some water is getting through the slats but the flooding is minimal.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Why Deception Pass was open and what possessed that trucker to cross are questions that need answers. On a good day that pass is gnarly.
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to cross it yesterday in a normal passenger car. Forget about anything with any height to it!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Another question that needs answered is how big was the log in that driver’s pants???

Jesus.

Bellingham had it pretty easy compared to Everson/Nooksack/Sumas. Some BPD units went north to help with rescue efforts - I took this photo in front of my house this morning of a BPD response unit transporting some folks who were rescued.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3834.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	392947

We live in the east side of Nooksack on the edge of the Sumas River - most of our backyard was under water, but our house stayed high and dry. Some friends of mine on the other side of town weren't so lucky, their homes flooded Sunday night.

Name:	IMG_3824.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	392944
    Sumas got absolutely destroyed - I would guess 90% of homes in the city were flooded, and those that weren't only survived because they are built way above grade.

And now the water continues to flow north into Canada. My brother lives southwest of Chilliwack, and they got a mandatory evacuation notice this morning.

November 16th satellite imagery...

Lower Skagit River. Sedro-Woolley and Burlington:

Name:	flooding_skagit 1.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	392973

Nooksack River. Ferndale:

Name:	flooding_nooksack_ferndale.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	392975

Lynden and Sumas:

Name:	flooding_nooksack_lynden.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	392976

Nicola River. Merritt, BC:

Name:	flooding_merritt.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	392977

A couple hosers survey the damage along the Coquihalla

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    Bellingham had it pretty easy compared to Everson/Nooksack/Sumas.
    Yeah, we were super lucky (and geography). The damage here was really concentrated into small corridors along creeks/rivers. Hope your brother's going to be ok.

It's an absolute shit show in southern BC. The lower mainland is effectively cut off from the rest of the province, people are stuck in small towns with flood waters and landslides on either sides, towns are running out of food and water. The damage to infrastructure is the most concerning, it could take months or years to repair highways and bridges. And now we have reported deaths from cars being located in landslides. I'm not sure the severity of the situation is being properly described.

A guy I work with lives near the Canadian border. His house wasn't flooded, but apparently some of his neighbors were who hadn't been in last year's "100 year flood." Been a crazy year for sure. Big lowland snow event in February, record heat in June (108 at Sea-Tac!), and now this.

But man-made climate change is a myth, amirite?!

At what point do these "extremely rare, but still within normal climatic variation" events because a bit too common for anyone to honestly buy that line anymore? I think there are some who are so entrenched in their climate change denial that they will never accept it, but the rest of us are starting to see that these extreme events are becoming much more common to be pure happenstance.

I find the binary thinking infuriating. Is there a natural cyclical nature of the earth's climate? Yes. But that in no way means that human activity can't also affect the climate.

Back when we still called it global warming, I used to say "took 300 million years to form, and we're gonna burn all of it in 300? ...and that's not going to have an effect on the atmosphere?"

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    At what point do these "extremely rare, but still within normal climatic variation" events because a bit too common for anyone to honestly buy that line anymore? I think there are some who are so entrenched in their climate change denial that they will never accept it, but the rest of us are starting to see that these extreme events are becoming much more common to be pure happenstance.
    I’m starting to hear more and more rumbles among insurance underwriters about pricing this into premiums. This is typically an extremely conservative group that overwhelming voted for Trump. Sometimes you can see the cognitive dissonance in their thinking of climate change is a myth but these 100 year events are happening more than every 100 years.

I hope for the best for everybody that has been directly affected. We have friends that just moved to Bellingham that have now been displaced to a hotel while they figure out a new rental situation.

the pseudo floodplain manager in me is curious if these flooded areas were in the FIRM-mapped (or USACE mapped) 1% (100-year) or 0.2% ( 500-year) floodplain. any known failures to floodplain structures such as levees or floodwalls?

FWIW, i have worked on projects related to the long term response to a flood that was initially considered a 100-year event, but was later downgraded to much less severe event (like 5- or 20-year) both in terms of rainfall and stream flooding The reason for the flooding in built-out areas, like suburbs, was due to poor storm control design. sometimes it's bad sidewalk design. sometimes it is poor placement of street culverts that discharge into creeks, often a combo. i've also worked on projects that far exceeded the "worst case" flood model (i.e. higher than a 10,000 event in one circumstance) because of poor quality historic data. In that 10,000-yr circumstance, that specific flood was re-assigned to be the 100-yr (1%) flood. There are also some areas where the floodplain has not been defined in the flood insurance rate maps, such as large areas of San Jose, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It’s fucking weather warfare.

Call it tinfoil if ya want. But it’s pretty easy to control the weather with modern science.

Until it gets out of control.

Ducking sociopaths
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    “Hurrdurr, well statistically speaking a 100 year event, blah blah, blah”

They are just now thinking about it? Seems like something that would be irritating to know as a shareholder.
    Policies only last a year. It’s not like they have to be very forward thinking. Also the premium collected per risk $ dropped really hard from ~2008 to 2020, so there wasn’t a whole lot an underwriter could do anyways. Now the market is getting more expensive so they have more pricing power.