Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Novels on Skiing?

Boxing has The Fight
    Cricket has Beyond a Boundary
    Bullfighting has Death in the Afternoon
    Cycling has The Rider

Are then any solid literary efforts that capture the essence of skiing? I'd be interested in anything from the prehistoric origins of skiing, to the early European alpine resorts, to modern day ski-bummery.

(And, yes, I realise there's a music/movies/books forum, but I think this thread is still relevant to the ski/snowboard forum, plus it gets way more traffic )

Right on the Edge of Crazy is good, from a ski-racing perspective, and I found Bode: Go Fast, Be Good, Have Fun worth reading, as well, but it's definitely a book about Bode's life, not about skiing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by milkybarkid View Post
    ...modern day ski-bummery.
    The God of Skiing. A great read. Google the reviews. Buy from the author.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Right on the Edge of Crazy is good, from a ski-racing perspective, and I found Bode: Go Fast, Be Good, Have Fun worth reading, as well, but it's definitely a book about Bode's life, not about skiing in general.
    Someone gave me Right on the Edge of Crazy when it came out--really good, if not the most 'literary' of books.

Hemingway had some worthwhile skiing related writing--maybe in For Whom the Bell Tolls? Can't remember, but I know he did a pretty good job trying to convey something of what skiing powder was like (on 10 foot wooden skis, I assume).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Someone gave me Right on the Edge of Crazy when it came out--really good, if not the most 'literary' of books.

Hemingway had some worthwhile skiing related writing--maybe in For Whom the Bell Tolls? Can't remember, but I know he did a pretty good job trying to convey something of what skiing powder was like (on 10 foot wooden skis, I assume).
    You thinking of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Country_Snow

Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Yeah, I knew there was one of the Nick Adams stories, but I also thought there was at least a passage in one of the novels. I can try to figure it out later.

There have been a number of short pieces in Powder that were worthwhile--one that ran in the past few years was by one of the big guns in literature...can't remember who, right now, but it was definitely a good one.

I can't really come up with an entire novel that centers in some way on skiing, though.

edit: just remembered it was Calvino, a story about a school ski trip (I think) and the girl the narrator sees who can ski. Last season, maybe? Nice call by the editors.
    [quote][//quote]

One of Jerzy Kozinsky’s novels—maybe Blund Date—has a chapter where the protagonist, trying to impress a woman at a Euro resort, builds some kind of wearable gyroscope to help him learn to ski. Finally he practices a stunt to fly off a mound of snow and land on a deck of the lodge. The woman, duly impressed, sleeps with him. Later in the book he fails to make the flight that would have put him at Sharon Tate’s house the night the Manson kids came to visit.
    Nit a great novel, but an interesting period piece.

Tracking the Wild Coomba was a good read. Not sure I would say it's a literary classic since it's more of a biography, but it's a good book.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TGR Forums mobile app

I just read this book of short stories by Peter Shelton, who used to live in the San Juan's and wrote for Powder and other magazines. Mostly non-fiction but a great read. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078J8RVLL...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The God of Skiing. A great read. Google the reviews. Buy from the author.
    Endorsed. Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Ski Bum by Romain Gary

Boxing has The Fight
    Cycling has The Rider

Are then any solid literary efforts that capture the essence of skiing? I'd be interested in anything from the prehistoric origins of skiing, to the early European alpine resorts, to modern day ski-bummery.

(And, yes, I realise there's a music/movies/books forum, but I think this thread is still relevant to the ski/snowboard forum, plus it gets way more traffic )
    Hey Man -- check out this thread i made from a few years back. some good racer books, some books on the origins of skiing, alpine, and mountaineering, and a bunch of just damn good reads.

Currently finishing Coomba -- as mentioned above. really fun read. good luck in your search.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Keep-the-Stoke

not novels but:

Two Planks and a Passion is a fascinating history of the sport from its origins *tens* of thousands of years ago.
    How the Racers Ski by Warren Witherall (from 1970ish?) is a great read, much of it still relevant.

IIRC the Hemingway book with some skiing in it was A Moveable Feast. Mostly it was about chilling in Paris in the twenties, near the end of the book he gets his ass to Austria to earn some turns

Yeah, I knew there was one of the Nick Adams stories
    there's also "an alpine idyll" in the nick adams stories, the end of a long ski trip. A movable feast had pieces from his time in Austria as mentioned.

Boxing has The Fight
    Cycling has The Rider

Another vote for Tracking the Wild Coomba. Also The Edge of Never was pretty good too.

[QUOTE=homemadesalsa;5211824]I just read this book of short stories by Peter Shelton, who used to live in the San Juan's and wrote for Powder and other magazines. Mostly non-fiction but a great read. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078J8RVLL...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Second reccomendation for Tracks in the Snow.

There's always the New Yorker :

Name:  ski.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  51.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by steezybomber View Post
    Hey Man -- check out this thread i made from a few years back. some good racer books, some books on the origins of skiing, alpine, and mountaineering, and a bunch of just damn good reads.

Currently finishing Coomba -- as mentioned above. really fun read. good luck in your search.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Keep-the-Stoke
    Dammit, how did my search for 'skiing books' not turn up this thread!? Sorry for duplicating. Anyway some great recommendations, thanks all. Think I'll start with The God of Skiing, sounds perfect. And should probably read A Moveable Feast at some point too (full disclosure, I've never read a Hemingway book )

edit: just remembered it was Calvino, a story about a school ski trip (I think) and the girl the narrator sees who can ski. Last season, maybe? Nice call by the editors.
    Wasn't that in the New Yorker?

“I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I don't know if Roger Frison-Roche is translated in english (but for Premier de cordée). He's mostly famous for his mountaineering or desert novels.
    But he was a ski instructor since the 1930's.

I've always wanted to read his 1937 book "En skis et à chameau à travers le Grand Erg Oriental"... (Through the grand erg occidental on ski and camel back)
    Name:  rfr1937-frison-ski-sahara-210x300.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  8.6 KB
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    IIRC the Hemingway book with some skiing in it was A Moveable Feast. Mostly it was about chilling in Paris in the twenties, near the end of the book he gets his ass to Austria to earn some turns
    Yup, think you got it. I think I combined Moveable Feast with FWTBT, but the end of that one is fleeing by boat on a lake, right? Maybe...

And should probably read A Moveable Feast at some point too (full disclosure, I've never read a Hemingway book )
    It's interesting how Hemingway has gone in and out of style (a few times, now), but I think he's worth reading. If I were to just read one I think I would do For Whom the Bell Tolls--kind of interesting historically regardless of what you think of Hemingway. I wouldn't read Old Man and the Sea (not sure if it still is but it was a staple of middle school reading lists for forever). Actually, if you just want to read Hemingway I would buy the short stories.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Wasn't that in the New Yorker?
    Aren't Powder and The New Yorker basically the same thing??

(My memory sucks...)
    [quote][//quote]

@homemadesalsa I bought the kindle version on your reccomendation

Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    We had a CJ thread about that: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ow-E-Hemingway

Story in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    The Edge of Never was pretty good too.
    Ensure to add "Kelig" or "Peterson" if you are going to google that. The movie was great. Interesting having hung out with Kye and Plake
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Glad to hear it, @summit. There's a good review in the Dec TAR of Peter Shelton's book as well- am sure you saw that.