Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Some of the biggest boot mistakes I've had the displeasure of making have been at the hands of "reputable" bootfitters who think they can put any foot into any boot because they have a grinder and an oven at their disposal.

I now buy my boots online for the cheapest price possible and then do my own work on them--if needed. If you need one, buy a fucking dremel with the money you saved (they're great for cutting tile in the bathroom as well). If you don't have messed up looking granny feet, you don't need customization.

That said, I would have bought red boots, BMills.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'm pretty tired of pissy bootfitters. Love the good ones that listen and are really knowledgeable, but the arrogant, pissy, know-it-alls...

Nicely, BMills.

I've gone to some local well regarded boot fitters who massively fucked up my boots, or didn't fit me correctly. One of the best known ones in Reno sold Mrs C into planing and canting her vibram-soled boots (hard soles screwed down on top of the vibram). When she came home with that monstrosity, I was pissed.

Now that I know pretty well how a boot should fit me, I do my own work. I'll only go to a fitter if I need a punch done.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This is TGR goddamn it. We mount our own skis and and fit our own boots...what's next having to go to a certified pole fitter to get the right poles?? I would rather punch myself in the dick, repeatedly.

I do use shops for base grinds, because I can't justify a Montana machine.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I've gone to some local well regarded boot fitters who massively fucked up my boots, or didn't fit me correctly. One of the best known ones in Reno sold Mrs C into planing and canting her vibram-soled boots (hard soles screwed down on top of the vibram). When she came home with that monstrosity, I was pissed.

Now that I know pretty well how a boot should fit me, I do my own work. I'll only go to a fitter if I need a punch done.
    Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a $20 heat gun for the easy punches, they even sell a flexible ball grinder for around $80. Chances are if you have some decent mechanical skills and understand your foot/boot relationship you'll be a better fitter than about 50 % of the "pros". There are some great ones out there but lot's of hacks as well
    I don't mind paying a fitter but hate the multiple visits.

Don't you need something in addition to just the heat gun? Like a puncher or stretcher?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Rubbing cajun hot sauce in the affected area can sometimes heat up the shell enough that you don't need a heat gun.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Don't you need something in addition to just the heat gun? Like a puncher or stretcher?
    that would be called a screw driver handle. golf balls, cabinet door pulls screwed to a dowel handle or random pieces of wood that has been cut into ovals with sanded edges.

PM Iceman. His new crutches may come with attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a $20 heat gun for the easy punches, they even sell a flexible ball grinder for around $80. Chances are if you have some decent mechanical skills and understand your foot/boot relationship you'll be a better fitter than about 50 % of the "pros". There are some great ones out there but lot's of hacks as well
    I don't mind paying a fitter but hate the multiple visits.
    Already got the heat gun, and have a Dremel with flex head attachment.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

"Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Here to update that I skied em for a weekend to see what hurt where and took lunch today to fit them ahead of my next trip. I followed the advice of mtnlion and gregL here -thanks for the link cmcrawfo! Big ups guys, the boots fit like I've owned em for 10 years. So stoked.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    time to begin your next round of training for 19BBI utarded
    I've already started drinking heavily.

My Solly boots were retired after 19 years this past trip. The treads on the bottom crumbled out. Everyone I talked to said replacement treads could not be ordered. Yeah bullshit... Im in sales too fuckers.

Anyhow... I need some new boots.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    My Solly boots were retired after 19 years this past trip.
    38 days on the boots and they fell apart. Vibes.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    38 days on the boots and they fell apart. Vibes.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    My Solly boots were retired after 19 years this past trip. The treads on the bottom crumbled out. Everyone I talked to said replacement treads could not be ordered. Yeah bullshit... Im in sales too fuckers.

Anyhow... I need some new boots.
    Do you have small feet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-SALOMO...-/172474200194

Wow. ~3.5 years later and would you look at how ECRC this thread got for a bit there. Pre-soup debate too.

Anyway, the love affair with the X-Max's is over. When heated and molded they were great, but they don't hold their shape even after that and ~14-20 days a year in em. Always a battle the first week back in them until another bake/mold and lately it's been completely numb feet in the last which ruins my feet until week 2. Done.

Still think it might be worth giving Solly another shot as the last of the X-Max was around 96mm and even most low volume offerings these days in a 27/27.5 seem to be at 100mm last.

Tried on my buddy's LV Tecnica Mach 1 120s and they were sweet. Would be curious to hear any second hand info on those who have cross-shopped the two.

As far as I can tell my feet haven't changed a bit, but I'm wondering if the Tecnica low volume offerings are truly going to be as narrow as these X-Maxes or if they're a more true to form fit like they feel (regular, non-fat foot/calf skinny guy build) with what seems like better customization. There's a screaming deal on a pair that I'm willing to try if they work.

That said, I've also found some nice 130 Solly S/Max with the 100mm last but not sure I want a 130 as the 120s are a real sweet spot for rebound and control for the type of skiing I do anymore (bumps, occasional park, chasing my kid)

Anyway, I expect another 4 pages of insults and info from the collective. Thanks in advance. Deals y'all may be aware of are appreciated too.

tech talk, JONG!
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    tech talk, JONG!
    Denied. As stated upthread, I prefer the advice of those here who aren't allowed to posses sharp objects.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Still think it might be worth giving Solly another shot as the last of the X-Max was around 96mm and even most low volume offerings these days in a 27/27.5 seem to be at 100mm last.

Tried on my buddy's LV Tecnica Mach 1 120s and they were sweet. Would be curious to hear any second hand info on those who have cross-shopped the two.

As far as I can tell my feet haven't changed a bit, but I'm wondering if the Tecnica low volume offerings are truly going to be as narrow as these X-Maxes or if they're a more true to form fit like they feel (regular, non-fat foot/calf skinny guy build) with what seems like better customization. There's a screaming deal on a pair that I'm willing to try if they work.

That said, I've also found some nice 130 Solly S/Max with the 100mm last but not sure I want a 130 as the 120s are a real sweet spot for rebound and control for the type of skiing I do anymore (bumps, occasional park, chasing my kid
    X Max and S/Max boots have always been a nominal 98mm last, meaning they are 98mm wide across the metatarsals in a 26.5 shell. They have not changed in width over the years. They are also both 100mm wide in a 27.5 shell, but bootfitters still refer to them as a 98mm boot. The fit in the new model is very close, but a bit more anatomic and a bit taller in the instep - when people comment on them being "narrower" than other 98mm boots it is mostly due to perceived snugger heel fit, which is mostly due to more contour in the liner. The Tecnica Mach 1 LV last is also a nominal 98mm - it is hard to compare the two fits because the Tecnica liners are normally cushier, but if you stick the same liner in both shells I think you'll find the forefoot volume (not width) is a little less in the Tecnica, and they are a little narrower through the medial midfoot. All this is before anyone works on either, so if you have a decent bootfitter you can achieve similar results in fit (my opinion, but I've done it). Can't help you with the choice between 120 and 130 . . .

Denied. As stated upthread, I prefer the advice of those here who aren't allowed to posses sharp objects.
    well, fwiw, i skied Mach1 LV 130s for two seasons and they were a narrow fit. ie, did not feel like a 98 last in the slightest and a 98 last is what i have skied ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    X Max and S/Max boots have always been a nominal 98mm last, meaning they are 98mm wide across the metatarsals in a 26.5 shell. They have not changed in width over the years. They are also both 100mm wide in a 27.5 shell, but bootfitters still refer to them as a 98mm boot. The fit in the new model is very close, but a bit more anatomic and a bit taller in the instep - when people comment on them being "narrower" than other 98mm boots it is mostly due to perceived snugger heel fit, which is mostly due to more contour in the liner. The Tecnica Mach 1 LV last is also a nominal 98mm - it is hard to compare the two fits because the Tecnica liners are normally cushier, but if you stick the same liner in both shells I think you'll find the forefoot volume (not width) is a little less in the Tecnica, and they are a little narrower through the medial midfoot. All this is before anyone works on either, so if you have a decent bootfitter you can achieve similar results in fit (my opinion, but I've done it). Can't help you with the choice between 120 and 130 . . .
    Thank you Greg, that's quality beta.

At first impression the Tecnicas felt "cushier" and the Sollys definitely have a tight grip on the heel/achilles.

In your opinion, given that both 27.5 shells are ~100mm, would it be worth going with a Tecnica MV last? Basically I just want to forego the numb left foot issue I've had with the X Max that I never had prior. But... a sweet deal on some LV Mach 1's that can be worked on still has my attention. Again, no frankenstein feet here.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    well, fwiw, i skied Mach1 LV 130s for two seasons and they were a narrow fit. ie, did not feel like a 98 last in the slightest and a 98 last is what i have skied ever since.
    Interesting, and from the monkey-fighting thread I think you may be a bigger dude than me, which leads me to think the LV might work.

Interesting, and from the monkey-fighting thread I think you may be a bigger dude than me, which leads me to think the LV might work.
    well, it is worth noting, this was prior to a transition from runningback/returner to defensive lineman. i probably wasn't much bigger then than you are. like i said, i still ski a 98 lasted boot but the Mach1 LV felt much narrower at the metatarsals.