Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

how's your helmet game ?

helmets have come a long way. watched this video yesterday and reminded me how old and packed out my helmets are.

Craniologie in Breck looks legit

Curious what cutting edge maggots are rockin' for brain buckets.
    Currently I run a Burton with motorola blue tooth built in. Back up is an old Leedom I've had for way too long.
    I've had boardercross/moto full face helmets that are way too heavy unless they're carbon. several mtb helmets that work when it's not too cold.
    Google game, same deal. Looking to upgrade the old Spys.

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Tech talk, Jong.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Tech talk, Jong.
    my bad, I'll move it....doh

Ruin my hair

I’m usually rocking a bern helmet or sometimes a Santa Cruz helmet.

I like park style helmets because they look cooler and steezy. I like to look steezy as fuck while I’m skiing and a helmet is an important part of the steeziness

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I’m usually rocking a bern helmet or sometimes a Santa Cruz helmet.

I like park style helmets because they look cooler and steezy. I like to look steezy as fuck while I’m skiing and a helmet is an important part of the steeziness
    Goggles under the helmet or over the helmet?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Are you rog?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I really like my protec classic, and want to replace it with the same model, but sadly they don't seem to make them anymore.
    27° 18°

Giro now only offers MIPS helmets.

For those who don't know, a MIPS type helmet offers protection from rotational impact. The design allows the interior of the helmet to rotate against the outer shell and thus prevents your brain from rotating inside your skull. So a MIPS rated helmet offers protection from the most serious type of brain injury.

MIPS helmets are more expensive but Giro does offer some not too expensive helmets.

AFAIK, every ski helmet maker offers at least some MIPS helmets.

I rock an old POC MIPS. Since GIRO bought the right to the MIPS name, their brand and every brand under them offer MIPS tech, which I think is great. Especially for idiots like me who have multiple concussions.

I have toasted a POC MIPS while DH biking and see how much i rotates. Light because its Carbon shell. But once it is done, it is DONE.

POC now offers the Coron and this spring will be the Coron Air with their newly labeled "Spin" tech. Essentially the same thought process as MIPS but done with padding inside the helmet. Will be cheaper than the OG POC, but probably more expensive than GIRO.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Goggles under the helmet or over the helmet?
    Absolutely under the helmet. You can’t look very steezey with goggles over

A helmet has saved my life twice now. Both times cracking and taking the damage and keeping me from sucking my food through a straw.

Smith MIPS this year. I replace every 2-3 years depending on how much funk is going on. True or not I think material degrades after time from sun, temps, exposure, etc.. so my head is worth the extra bucks every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Giro now only offers MIPS helmets.

For those who don't know, a MIPS type helmet offers protection from rotational impact. The design allows the interior of the helmet to rotate against the outer shell and thus prevents your brain from rotating inside your skull. So a MIPS rated helmet offers protection from the most serious type of brain injury.

MIPS helmets are more expensive but Giro does offer some not too expensive helmets.

AFAIK, every ski helmet maker offers at least some MIPS helmets.
    the MIPS thing is pretty sweet. is it pronounced "Hero" or GEE ROW ?

Whats in your ski helmet quiver?

Giro(green), Smith(maroon), Bern(baby blue)
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    the MIPS thing is pretty sweet. is it pronounced "Hero" or GEE ROW ?
    It's pronounced MIP S.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

DIY Visor

Must have a visor on the helmet. I've just taped on a mtb helmet visor. seems to channel air better onto the top of the googles to prevent fogging but really just looks cooler

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It's pronounced MIP S.
    Just like Jee-ahhn (Giant), Bon-trahh-jay (Bontrager), Fish-ayy (Fisher), Laaahhhnnje (Lange), R2 (K2), etc. ad nauseum.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Visors are dangerous. Mips or no mips. And goggles under the helmet basically make it not a helmet. You guys are so fucking wreckless.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Visors are dangerous
    Is my meter broken?

Please explain

Visors are dangerous. Mips or no mips. And goggles under the helmet basically make it not a helmet. You guys are so fucking wreckless.
    Although driving while distracted may result in a wreck, the correct adjective in the “driving” sentence above is reckless. The error is understandable, though, considering that wrecks are so often the result of recklessness; however, the root words are different.

The Old English word reck means care or caution, and, of course, the suffix -less signifies without. When people act without reck (or caution), they are reckless.

Wreck, on the other hand, means broken or ruined; when associated with automobiles, it refers to a collision. Considering the meaning of the -less suffix, the term wreckless makes no sense—people who are not cautious would wreck more, not less. As a matter of fact, wrecklessness would be a good thing. However, since wreckless isn’t even a word, any discussion of its use is pointless.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 01-05-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I got teased for wearing s helmet in the 90’s. Called me short bus.. Same with fat skis. Skiers are insecure with their image.

On a spin out sliding fall I like how helmet slides on the piste. It mitigates neck lash like you get with knit hat.

i wear a smith helmet, i think vantage

I sometimes wear a helmet, sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I sometimes wear a helmet, sometimes not.
    Not sure if trolling or not but there is simply no reason to not wear a helmet. It's warmer and should a fall happen you'll be protected. Plus a decent helmet to at least pad against impact isn't that much

Make money. Buy toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog325 View Post
    Not sure if trolling or not but there is simply no reason to not wear a helmet. It's warmer and should a fall happen you'll be protected. Plus a decent helmet to at least pad against impact isn't that much

Make money. Buy toys.
    spring skiing. Helmets get hot and sweaty. I usually take it off on the chair, clip it to the bar. I wear a vented mtb helmet when it's over 40* and sunny . Feel naked without a helmet now. Same with motorcycles. Some say a helmet can be false confidence but I've got cracked helmets to prove them wrong.