Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

the threshold of too cold ?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/1...ow-50-degrees/

wildcat closed due to extreme cold the other day. interesting they mention stowe because we've skied off the gondola when it was "too cold". no exposed skin is the first rule. balaclava , neck gators, helmet, goggles. felt like scuba diving. get off the gondi, proceed to the mens room to use the big mirror to ensure no skin could frostbite, head out , ride down, right back into the gondi, repeat. if they're running the gondi, we're taking laps. how cold is too cold ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

If it is for work, - 25 seems to be the magic number here. If it is for fun my number is 5.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Next Friday it's supposed to be about 25 below in the morning at elevation in Vermont and the ADK, and it will barely break zero until Monday. That's too fucking cold. And that's after two weeks of this shit.

But, just remember, while you're driving through the poverty of those places on the way to your "resort", a lot of people, mostly old, are dying from that cold as you worry about a little frostbite on the nose.

No way in hell I'd ski on the 300' vertical at my local ice bump in these temps (10* F or below). But... I've skied in -28* F temps while on vacation in British Columbia.

Guess it just depends on the situation.

Not interested at all in skiing today or tomorrow. -8` at my place bush south and plenty of gusty wind, a couple of lifts on wind hold.

A few folks out at the Glen today.

THE FORECAST FOR MOUNT MANSFIELD, VERMONT AT 4,393 FT:
    LAST UPDATED AT 343 AM EST SUN DEC 31 2017

.TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH AROUND 5 BELOW. NORTHWEST WINDS 30 TO
    35 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 49 BELOW.
    .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOW AROUND 19 BELOW. NORTHWEST WINDS 30 TO
    35 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 52 BELOW.
    .NEW YEARS DAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH AROUND 2 BELOW. NORTHWEST WINDS
    30 TO 35 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 53 BELOW.

http://www.weather.gov/btv MOUNT MANSFIELD
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I used to live in upstate NY, and, even though we had some brutally cold days and weeks, we could always say, hey, at least we ain't living in Saranac Lake, which always beat us by at least ten more degrees colder.

Jay Peak reported -28 before the wind chill this morning and closed the upper mountain. Mt. Mansfield windchill's are forecast for -50 over next several days. The dog is pooping while balancing on it's front two legs, just sayin'.

I guess it depends on how good the skiing is/ how long it's been since I last went skiing

people say it's cold here but I don't think it touches the cold of VT/New England
    at least when it's cold here it's often sunny giving you the hope of warmth. In new england it's grey out and that cold it sets into your bones like nothing else

just saw the east was getting hit with the chills- stay warm kids!
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Next Friday it's supposed to be about 25 below in the morning at elevation in Vermont and the ADK, and it will barely break zero until Monday. That's too fucking cold. And that's after two weeks of this shit.

But, just remember, while you're driving through the poverty of those places on the way to your "resort", a lot of people, mostly old, are dying from that cold as you worry about a little frostbite on the nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-23 air temp at Whiteface, with gusty winds. They were saying 90 below wind chill the other night.

But really anything below Zero or so, I’ll just do something else for the day. At least I don’t live in Saranac Lake...

My coldest was -16F with windchill -32F.
    They shut down the slope due to extreme temperature.
    I thought it was doable.

OH, it's doable, but, you can't ski fast, because you're making your own wind chill. Last time I was out at -20 with bright sun I could only stand three laps before retreating to shelter. There's never any powder at those temps, it just doesn't snow when it's so cold.

Unless the powder is spectacular, 0 is my threshold. Although it is fun to tough it out when it’s colder and no one is out.

My guess is that the decisions made to have closures isn't just about patrons safety but also about their employees. Imagine how shitty it would be to be a lifty or a ski patroller on a difficult wreck. A bad accident on a "doable" day all of a sudden has the potential to become a deadly one.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Unless the powder is spectacular, 0 is my threshold. Although it is fun to tough it out when it’s colder and no one is out.
    that was it. it was a lazy sunday and slopes were deserted. Just wanted to see how long we could take it. I dunno if I'd wanna sit on a quad when there's a cozy gondola and a heated bathroom at the top. One small problem was your hot breath getting into your goggles and crystalizing. I found leaving the goggles outside with the board worked better instead of the temp changes on the thermo lens. snow is so squeky and fast at sub zero. had to wear a doo rag under the helmet and 2 neck gators. Remember hot chillys ? base layer under polypro under goretex pants.
    I broke my arm one sub zero day, binding failed. cartwheels and lucky not to spin my knee.
    missed the trip to crested butte 2 weeks later. girlfriend was pissed

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    My guess is that the decisions made to have closures isn't just about patrons safety but also about their employees. Imagine how shitty it would be to be a lifty or a ski patroller on a difficult wreck. A bad accident on a "doable" day all of a sudden has the potential to become a deadly one.
    I was working for a ski area this summer that’s run by an old timer from Vermont, who was pretty high on the operations team at mount Snow. He claimed they were worried about people getting stuck on lifts for long amounts of time. If for some reason you had to evacuate, and it took hours, you would have a shit load of hypothermic people on your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    I was working for a ski area this summer that’s run by an old timer from Vermont, who was pretty high on the operations team at mount Snow. He claimed they were worried about people getting stuck on lifts for long amounts of time. If for some reason you had to evacuate, and it took hours, you would have a shit load of hypothermic people on your hands.

Another reason to bring back the surface lifts.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Another reason to bring back the surface lifts.
    On a cold snowy day in Colorado I did help with an evacuation of a carpet. It was a bit funny how people just stood there waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    On a cold snowy day in Colorado I did help with an evacuation of a carpet. It was a bit funny how people just stood there waiting.

Now that's actually funny as fuck.

Since you brought up the carpet I'm curious what happened to that liftie at Loveland this past week.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I did -25 at JH with pow on the ground and sun in the sky and loved every min of it. Also done -35 + wind chill at Stratton sleeting sideways on the Kidderbrook chair and wanted to shoot myself. It’s entirely a function of the skiing quality.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

I've been out the last 4 days here in central VT, mostly sub zero except yesterday but wind chills have ranged from about -10 to -30. toe warmers are a must for me, but surprisingly I haven't needed hand warmers the last 3 days. it really is crazy how quickly the body can adjust to temperatures

the threshold of too cold ?

For work, we cut off field activity if it is colder than-25C at the office (usually means another 5 or more degrees colder where the truck will be parked). Equipment just starts getting too brittle. Coldest day I've worked was -38C and no wind. The sled was not happy starting.
    Coldest day I've downhill skied was at PowderKing around -25C, with the windchill bringing it close to -30C. A couple runs and back to the lodge to warm up.
    Started a birkenbeiner race in Edmonton at -28C. And it got colder thru the day. Snow was so hard the kickwax needed to be re-applied every 10km or so. Lots of frostbit nose, chin and cheeks at the finish that day.
    -23C this morning and the sun is out. Bundle the youngun into the chariot and take the hound for a xc ski around noon. Wonderful temps to exercise in.

pit zips are key. layers , too. good socks and foot powder. I wear spring goretex gloves inside beefy shells. glove leash always.

Are y'all talking Fahrenheit or Chelsea us, 10% of the people reading this dreck wear the plaid and suck syrup so would it kill you to put the F, C or K apres the number ?

I think the coldest I ever skied was -37C at Powder King 3 runs and back to the lodge, but the snow was so abrasive there was no sliding so the fresh pow was unskiable but anywhere that had tracks was skiable

IME the road from PG directly narth to PK is very susceptible to the arctic front sliding down the province, you can be on solid pavement and 10km down the road its a skating rink ... not unusual to see or be a flipped SUV

-25 on boxing day did a 5hr tour up into the farm above pass lake where I figured out the toe warmer stuck inside a mitt, i took the pile mitt out of the gortex shell and the pile was covered in frost
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know