Automatic vs Backland?

I searched and found a vacuum on this topic. I'm specifically interested in the 117. What changes were made from the Automatic to the Backland? I understand the Backhand is lighter, and has a spoon at the tip... Is this good? Any first-hand or second-hand info is appreciated
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Buy a pair of billygoats and never look back. I have the automatic. Thought it was the best thing ever. They are amazing in untracked or lightly tracked dry snow. Wet or tracked out pow, the Billygoat makes them look like a joke. They make skiing so easy it's not fair.

All right, BG under consideration. More info about the 2018 BG is welcome too.

I ski in the PNW mostly. My daily driver is a Cochise in 185, which I love. It's not a pow ski.

I'm looking for something a little floatier and more maneuverable for deeper days at resorts. I'd like it to still be versatile enough that groomers and bumps are a little bit fun, and I'd like it to not beat me up the way my Spurs did.

The Atomics are available CHEAP. Does anyone know what changed from Automatic 117 -> Backland 117?

Billygoats feel like they were designed by skiers in the NW to ski NW soft snow conditions. FWIW.

If you like your Cochise you will very likely love Billy Goats (I have owned both). And it's true they are particularly great for heavier western powder. I've been on Automatics for about half a day (so limited experience, mind you) and they seem like a better ski for some place like Alta, for example. Nice skis, though.

I bought some Backlands but haven't had the chance to ski them yet. From what I read I think the Automatics are softer all around, especially in the tail. The Backlands seem pretty stout to me.

Also interested in this topic re Automatic 109... they are one of my most favoritist skis ever and just wondering if I should look for a non backhand pair to stash for the apoclopyse or if the backland is all the same.

I loved my 109s, but since I picked up a pair of GPOs I barely take them out.

I look at my GPOs as a hot rodded Automatic 109. Perhaps I'm only saying this because I was fairly new to modern skis at the time, but when I go back to them, they still seem to be made for skiers with similar tastes.

Even though they're 116, they turn quickly in tight spots, are better in hard pack and chopped up snow (not Billy Goat good, but more versatile).

Mine are Enduro core with carbon, and I'm seriously pondering a skinny pair (106) without carbon, but with veneer during the Spring sale.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-04-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Is there really nobody here who has experience with both the Automatic 117 and the Backland 117?

Buy the Billygoat. I'm serious. If you're in the pnw, it's the best thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Buy the Billygoat. I'm serious. If you're in the pnw, it's the best thing ever.
    If it's a quiver ski, I can't argue with this logic.

It does however, require a slight bit more skier input than the Automatic or GPO, which may or may not be acceptable to some. In return for this, you'll wonder why everyone else is thrashing about in difficult conditions, while you're smilin'.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'm currently rocking a two ski quiver of Cochise and Backland 109. I think I skied the Automatics once but don't really remember them very well. Backland seems like a nice soft snow ski for me. Plenty stiff underfoot and the tips are soft enough to float pretty good. Overall happy with them.