Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Forearm Crutches?

I'm stuck on crutches for a while and regular crutches are just killing my shoulders. It's bad. Hurts a lot worse than the injury I'm on crutches for! Thinking about trying forearm crutches, never have before. Any tips? Brands yo look for? Features? Looking to order from Amazon pronto or maybe go to a store if I can find one. All help appreciated.

Try to pull your shoulder blades down when you have weight on the crutches. This will put the shoulders in a better position.

I tried the forearm crutches and didn't feel they were as stable as the underarm ones, which for me was a big problem.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Ok I'll give it a shot thanks. I'd rather not switch, I'm comfortable on crutches but for some reason (maybe my shoulder blades?) it's killing me this time.

I have nothing useful to add.

I had the wooden crutches adjusted TOO LONG and the pads were up in my shoulder sockets,

an old nurse at a party said "don't do that or you will wreck your shoulders" and she was 100% right

I ended up with encapsulated shoulder in a lot of pain for months, I had to do acupuctureand physio for the shoulder issues which is not covered under canuckian HC

I suggest you listen to the nurse and me ... DO NOT lean on the crutch with your shoulder joint, instead have them short enough so that its easy to lock yer elbow straight and put ALL your weight on the wrists
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-30-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I can’t believe how often I see crutches mis-sized. It’s not that hard! When you stand up straight, you should be able to fit 2-3 fingers between the top of the crutch and your arm pit. After that you can adjust the hand piece. It should hit you at about your palm or wrist. Slight bend in your elbow. Good luck. If it’s a foot or ankle injury, maybe a knee caddy would be an option. Hip or knee and your out of luck.

I found making the crutch pads more comfortable made a big difference.

I wrapped the crutch pad with multiple kushy ace bandages, building a nice big surface to make contact with.

or try these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=crut...iWevguO64t5nM:

Heel up mang
    ​I am not in your hurry

Thanks. I bought these "Elasto-Gel" crutch tops, they're pretty pimp. Focused on shoulder position today, arms still hurt but maybe a little less, we'll see.

Forearm Crutches?

I’m crutching it too. My PTs advice was to develop the technique (and corresponding sizing )of putting the top of the crutch into the ribs just below the arm pit. You’ll have to fan the crutch out more widely but will save you the shoulder and armpit pain.

Seems to have kept my crutch pain down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

This ^^ cuz IME if you fuck this up it will take longer/cost more to fix than the reason you were on crutches
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What Kinniknnik's PT said is exactly what my PT also said for crutch position. Riding crutches in the armpits is asking for problems no matter what kind of padding you have
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

So I didn't buy the forearm crutches but I did get some high tech Ergobaum Dual crutches and for now it has fixed me. Shoulders feel radically better after two days. Not that expensive, about $200 on Amazon.

They fit up under the armpit like regular crutches, with the handle in front. Really changes the whole geometry of arm, crutch, body and for now it's working great. They're made of heavy-grade anodized aluminum, they're like wht the SWAT team would use if they needed crutches. Just thought I'd put this here for anyone researching crutches later.

Forearm Crutches?

Fancy!

Flashlight even.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Shock absorbers? High tech!

Where does the lighter go?

Maybe you could outfit the lowers with some pockets. Then you could skip the fanny pack all together.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Where does the lighter go?

Maybe you could outfit the lowers with some pockets. Then you could skip the fanny pack all together.
    Haha Iceman rocks a fanny pack in jeans!

Can those thing be converted into a makeshift maul?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I do not own a fanny pack, I think Gepeto was projecting on me.

I'm sure they could be converted to a very satisfactory maul. So watch out.

No fanny pack?
    How do you carry all your essentials?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Can you modify it so that you can smoke out of it? Gotta keep up on those pain meds

Wait... What? I love mine - indispensable!
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by ElfOnTheShelf View Post
    Can you modify it so that you can smoke out of it? Gotta keep up on those pain meds
    Seriously the things look like weapons. I'm pretty sure you could do almost anything with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Wait... What? I love mine - indispensable!

If someone could figure out a way to actually carry shit while you're on crutches they'd make a mint. Like a bowl of soup or a sandwich on a plate. That shit is no-can-do and I hate asking for help all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    rascal?

Name:  fatty.gif
Views: 352
Size:  18.1 KB
    Love the name of that file.

Fail. No cup holder?

Currently looking into our own crutches instead of borrowing others for the 'next issue'. Seems like every skier & boarder will need a set someday. As a kid, a claim to fame was being able to walk around on armpit crutches without any feet....

Under what situations are the fore arm crutches better? A cane didn't cut it for heel flair ups and pressure pain. The armpit crutches are familiar and work great taking off the pressure but I'm wondering about stairs and carrying stuff better or not with the forearm style.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So I didn't buy the forearm crutches but I did get some high tech Ergobaum Dual crutches and for now it has fixed me. Shoulders feel radically better after two days. Not that expensive, about $200 on Amazon.

They fit up under the armpit like regular crutches, with the handle in front. Really changes the whole geometry of arm, crutch, body and for now it's working great. They're made of heavy-grade anodized aluminum, they're like wht the SWAT team would use if they needed crutches. Just thought I'd put this here for anyone researching crutches later.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR