Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foam Mattress?

Foam Mattress?

Anyone bought a foam mattress? There's dozens of companies out there claiming their version is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'd like to get some real opinions from all you dentists.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

pm rontele.

He'll teach you how to use the search function.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I have a ghostbed and love it. It took a few weeks for me to get used to it though.

There's some pertinent info here:https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-new-mattress/
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

OP - all your answers are in the thread above that wicked sick provides.

Just bought the Juno based on maggot exsparky's advise, knowledge and experience.

Best sleep I've had in 2 decades.

Read the last 80 or so posts to get the most of the current thinking.

Energex seems to be the key ingredient but, the market has a lot of new players and tech has really taken hold. I would expect a shake out and consolidation within the industry over the near term.

Happy with my purchase based on the maggot knowledge base.
    ​I am not in your hurry

We got the house brand one from Sleepys about 5 years ago. It has good support, it's just soft enough, it's not too warm and seems to be holding up well. Based on what I've read about the new stuff I'd definitely buy another one.

I use a MF topper on a sleep number bed, I like the adjustable function depending on how beat up I am from my various activities. YMMV
    watch out for snakes

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I bought a bedinabox.com mattress last month. Incredibly comfortable. Way more comfortable than my previous $1200 serta genius foam mattress and more comfortable than the super expensive tempurpedics I have slept on.

Whatever you do, do not search online. You will be bombarded with adds for the rest of your life.

And read this article:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/...-mattress-wars

There's a big long thread from a couple years ago.

After much research, we got a Loom & Leaf firm w/cooling gel top (similar to Tempurpedic Contour Supreme but 40% price). We love it.

Costco has some good deals.

This site has helpful unbiased reviews.

We did a Brooklyn Bed and are very happy. The have multiple firmness options too.

After reading the above thread we are either getting a Loom & Leaf or a PangeaBed.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Organic latex.

http://diynaturalbedding.com

$1000 bucks will get you a 3 layer King size mattress with organic cotton cover. Extra firm for the bottom, firm for the middle, then individual preference for your side versus wife's. I did medium, wife did soft.

There is no better value online, but it's not branded so....

Still stoked on the Caspar, the ones we have are now their mid-line product as they've introduced a higher-end one which I know nothing about but ours are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    OP - all your answers are in the thread above that wicked sick provides.

Just bought the Juno based on maggot exsparky's advise, knowledge and experience.

Best sleep I've had in 2 decades.

Read the last 80 or so posts to get the most of the current thinking.

Energex seems to be the key ingredient but, the market has a lot of new players and tech has really taken hold. I would expect a shake out and consolidation within the industry over the near term.

Happy with my purchase based on the maggot knowledge base.
    Its Juna, the website sucks but the mattress is built solid. Only 1,700 sold but zero returns on that model. Casper's new high end 5 layer model is a lower quality version (Juna uses 8 layers, engerex and 2.4# density foam).

If you want cheap get a natural latex, go energex if you can afford it and don't get a Polyurethane ever. Poly might feel fine but they won't last.

Self quoting from the other thread.

https://www.mattressnerd.com/tuft-and-needle/

"The Tuft and Needle mattress is a 10 inch polyurethane foam mattress made in America. There is no memory foam, no latex foam, and no coils. The top 3 inches of the mattress is made of a proprietary formulation of pressure-relieving foam (they call it triple-layer blended foam). While it’s not technically latex or memory foam, it has some of the properties of each. It feels fairly similar to memory foam, but it is a little more bouncy (but not as bouncy as latex foam). Underneath that foam is 7 inches of a high density support foam that most foam mattresses have. The surface (or “ticking” as we call it in the bed biz) is a synthetic rayon/polyester blend. This is a fairly simple, straightforward mattress with no frills, which leads to the lower price point."

Polyurethane foam isn't going to be anywhere as good long term as energex, latex or memory foam.

T and F is really a marketing company,their beds were designed and made for a price point by a bedding supplier. They don't hold any patents or new ideas.

I bought a tempurepedic, great, but too expensive

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

We just got a Serta icomfort genius. We got it for $500 with box spring and frame. King size. I'm not overly impressed but it's an improvement over the previous mattress and was cheap enough for me not to care much. I sleep like shit no matter what. 5 hours max, rarely consecutive.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm looking at this new trend/revolution too. My Sleep number bed isn't all it's cracked up to be after a few years.

We tried a $900 Nest bedding mattress, but decided that a $200 foam topper, from Bed Bath and Beyond, on our existing firm mattress was more comfortable. This industry is loaded with biased, paid for reviews. I'm skeptical about how much better these new mattresses are than just adding a nice foam topper.

We got a Leesa. Wife likes soft, I like firm and we both love this one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We went with the Serta iComfort, can't remember which model, but it was a lot more then $500. Like it a lot, well built and a lot more support without being hard then many MF mattresses. Checked out some bed in a box types but wasn't impressed. Having needed a mattress ASAP after the fire, we went with a brick and mortar store who could get it to us quick. We are happy with it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    We tried a $900 Nest bedding mattress, but decided that a $200 foam topper, from Bed Bath and Beyond, on our existing firm mattress was more comfortable. This industry is loaded with biased, paid for reviews. I'm skeptical about how much better these new mattresses are than just adding a nice foam topper.
    I thought that too, my topper lasted about 2 years. I think its good for a bandaid or basement mattress.
    I don't regret the new mattress though at all.

We vacillated between the Casper and Amerisleep AS3. We settled on the the Amerisleep because it seemed to have a few more positives relative to several reviews, including no off gassing compared to the Casper and other options. Tonight will be the first test drive.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    Its Juna, the website sucks but the mattress is built solid. Only 1,700 sold but zero returns on that model. Casper's new high end 5 layer model is a lower quality version (Juna uses 8 layers, energex and 2.4# density foam).
    https://www.junasleep.com/story

Some good vibes for these guys

1088$ to the front door - Spoke with Justin (the owner) and Roger (Ops Manager?) to confirm what I would like built (layer options). Took some getting use to and it was too soft to begin with. Got them on the phone and they had me change up the top 3 layers. Still no bueno after a few weeks. Give them another ringydingy... 3 days later - another layer of energex arrives free of charge.

The SO and I both have serious orthopedic issues and neither of us have had a good nights sleep long before we came together.

I had an air ballasted king and she had an ancient 9" foam with 2 toppers on it. We settled on the foam (I never slept on one) with just one topper. Not long after, SO says if you want to cut the topper in half and give it to the freshman off to college and the other half to precocious 12 year old it's okay with her.

I cut the wrong topper in half. A blaze of hormones and about 2 weeks later - Juna at the front door.

btw: the Juna ships full size. After some research and all the intel here; a compressible foam is not the best way to go.

fyi: the Juna didn't do so well on the sex chart (see other thread) but, I give it a solid 8.6/10. What it lacks in rebound it makes up for in density lower in the layers.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    We went with the Serta iComfort, can't remember which model, but it was a lot more then $500. Like it a lot, well built and a lot more support without being hard then many MF mattresses. Checked out some bed in a box types but wasn't impressed. Having needed a mattress ASAP after the fire, we went with a brick and mortar store who could get it to us quick. We are happy with it.
    We got ours deeply discounted at some local weird warehouse place. It retailed for nearly 2k. I don't know the places deal but the prices are nutty. Like normal spring queens with box and frame for like $150 Sealy. Anywho....I'm happy enough. Happy wife, happy life.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Two years ago I injured my back somehow... I could not sleep, every move felt like my back was going to break so it was time for a visit to the doc or a new mattress. I figured I'd go all in on a mattress. Even though I didn't really have the dough, I decided on a base model tempur-pedic. Within two days my back was back to normal and I've slept like a rock every night since.