Is Boise Dawn Patrol Possible?

I'm possibly moving to Boise and have been checking out the available touring options. Besides Bogus Basin, it looks like everything else is 1.5-2.5 hours away.
    Are there any quick dawn patrol tours?
    Is there a TGR crew that goes out for 'em? Even with this low snow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Go surf the wave in the am before work. I have zero knowledge of the Boise dp scene.
    sigless.

For local dawn patrol, your best bet is probably just skinning up Bogus. On a powder day, there'll be essentially zero competition for some pretty good turns.

Bogus is the closest at 30-40mins from the edge of Boise and has decent side country... but getting across town can suck depending on where you move. If youre in SE Boise, Pilots Peak is less than 1.5hrs away. If you go for NW Boise or Eagle, then ur about 1.5hrs out of cascade... Once u get over 2hrs from Boise, your options really start to open up. Last year we had the most snowfall at low elevation in 30 years. This opened up some closer terrain, but you can't depend on it.

Is Boise Dawn Patrol Possible?

Boise is a real desert snow / low tide location. Lived there 4 years and never saw any local options besides Bogus Basin and it’s nearby peak Mores Mountain.

The closest touring would be pilot peak in Idaho City (1.5 hrs) or possibly something near Garden Valley (1 hr.)

Lots of cool Google Earth exploring and hidden spots in Idaho though. Much out there to find ... consult the Splatski Blog and you’ll find a treasure of reports from around the state.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 12-28-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Dawn patrol on Simplot Hill fast grass or go up toward 5 Mile/Orchard/Watchman's trail and I bet you can find some decent turns.

Simplot Hill got snow only once in the 4 years I was there!

Last year, my buds were skiing Boise Peak and the bike trails near bogus. What a great winter you guys had.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Simplot's Hill is a rare treat. Ask blurred about skiing it switch down to the road.

Boise Peak patch is somewhat worthy as it's more of just an aesthetic line, not many turns though. Last time I skied that it was a sheet of ice and not really worth the bike/hike, although it was a nice day to talk to Bob and celebrate my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Simplot's Hill is a rare treat. Ask blurred about skiing it switch down to the road.

Boise Peak patch is somewhat worthy as it's more of just an aesthetic line, not many turns though. Last time I skied that it was a sheet of ice and not really worth the bike/hike, although it was a nice day to talk to Bob and celebrate my birthday.
    Last season was ridiculous. I had two separate ski days that consisted of skate skiing down the middle of streets in the North End, not to mention a handful of tours in the meadows on the back of Deer Point that you can see from town. It's not every year that you can ski from Bogus into the Dry Creek drainage!

With the new snow is More Mt. and Pilots skiable now?
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Pilots is plenty skiable now, good coverage up high. Probably still plenty brushy down low and thin, but the ascent ridge should be opening up instead of the snowmobile road access point. Mores Mountain, probably still a little thin and brushy, maybe some good turns up high in the meadow down to the mountain bike trail, but otherwise the SW face is still a rock garden.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Pilots is plenty skiable now, good coverage up high. Probably still plenty brushy down low and thin, but the ascent ridge should be opening up instead of the snowmobile road access point. Mores Mountain, probably still a little thin and brushy, maybe some good turns up high in the meadow down to the mountain bike trail, but otherwise the SW face is still a rock garden.
    Word thanks. I checked the Snotel, but wasn't sure how skiable Pilots would be with a 53'' base