Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down New Superior lift at Alta sucks

This time of year is supposed to be about stoke, not anti-stoke. Still, I can't believe the suckiness of the new Superior lift. The runout was bad enough before, now it's just ridiculous. This thing obviously cost $$ but for the life of me, and especially after actually skiing it, I can't figure out what's improved or what problem it solved. The skier experience is degraded IMO. If the thinking behind this is Alta's new standard for improvements, per their infamous master plan, I fear for the future.

OK, rant over. Happy holidays.

It's called supreme, but yeah I've heard it's rough and kinda sucks

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    It's called supreme, but yeah I've heard it's rough and kinda sucks

Runout on Supreme was always a pain, new load point adds 30 seconds. Being HS and a quad more than makes up the longer runout. No snowmaking means limited terrain open with the lack of snow. Not agreeing with the decision but eliminating a 200 yard lift (Cecret) and the associated costs makes business sense. Plus the NFS liked the removal of Cecret. Alta does have to blow smoke on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Runout on Supreme was always a pain, new load point adds 30 seconds. Being HS and a quad more than makes up the longer runout. No snowmaking means limited terrain open with the lack of snow. Not agreeing with the decision but eliminating a 200 yard lift (Cecret) and the associated costs makes business sense. Plus the NFS liked the removal of Cecret. Alta does have to blow smoke on occasion.
    I hear the plan is to get snowmaking in the supreme area in the next year or 2.

I don't care about the run-out and am glad cecret is gone that shit was slow. I just have heard it's kinda a herky jerky ride especially at the "turn" from the old supreme lift start.

I liked regular old supreme. Singles line was fast since it was a triple and lots of families of 4.

Did not mind the old Supreme but for families the line was a PIA. As a regular the lifties would often call out three singles so I ended up riding with my wife anyway. Not perfect but a High Speed Quad versus a Conventional Triple is a big advantage. Yea a little bump as you make the turn but not much of anything. Last weekend we were riding with a visitor for their first trip up and had him convinced to lean to the left at the turn if we wanted to keep the cable on the wheels.

Heard same thing about snow making. Have to give Alta credit, mountain in amazing shape considering the lack of snow.

NEW SUPREME LIFT AT ALTA SUCKS -

Let me guess the new lift will pinch your calf right above the boot when you load.

Hated that

I think I’m somewhere between “don’t care” and “mildly disappointed.” The biggest difference is that it starts lower, so you can get there straight from sunnyside or alf’s or after a full run off sugarloaf or the backside. But that plus the faster speed might also be the biggest downside since it will have more skier traffic. I did always like how fast the old singles line was too. The longer runout is slight negative to me, but doesn’t really matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by frosted flakes View Post
    I think I’m somewhere between “don’t care” and “mildly disappointed.” The biggest difference is that it starts lower, so you can get there straight from sunnyside or alf’s or after a full run off sugarloaf or the backside. But that plus the faster speed might also be the biggest downside since it will have more skier traffic. I did always like how fast the old singles line was too. The longer runout is slight negative to me, but doesn’t really matter much.

This

I don't think it changes the way we ski Supreme much. I was worried about the longer runout as well, but it's pretty minimal - just go fast. Felt like skiing Brighton. The new bottom location sure makes the area around Alf's a lot more crowded though.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahOutside View Post
    I don't think it changes the way we ski Supreme much. I was worried about the longer runout as well, but it's pretty minimal - just go fast. Felt like skiing Brighton. The new bottom location sure makes the area around Alf's a lot more crowded though.
    I heard it's kinda a cluster fuck over at alfs now.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    NEW SUPREME LIFT AT ALTA SUCKS -

Let me guess the new lift will pinch your calf right above the boot when you load.

Hated that
    I imagine there might be cheaper ways of getting rid of this problem but the current solution works quite well.

Of course if you're one of the crew of geriatrics who want something to complain about every day at Alta, bitching about Supreme is a refreshing change from crying about last night's snow falling as stellar plates and not dendrites.

The new lift may not be everyone's favorite, but as far as I'm concerned, Alta is damn near infallible as long as they continue to offer a skiers only experience. The day they open up to snowboarders is the day I spend my last dollar at Alta.

This thread title should really be changed. There is a proposal for an actual lift up superior. The lift in this thread is not that. I would probably spend my last dollar at Alta is a lift goes up superior. The avalanche control excuse doesn't fly with me personally. Leave some parts of Alta pure. Make you earn it.

I thought Snowbird controlled the Mt Superior property? Several years ago Alta proposed a lift up Flagstaff primarily for "avalanche control". South facing terrain makes for shitty skiing. That lift is not a part of Alta's long range plans that they have submitted to the NFS. Not saying they couldn't revive it but I have not heard anything about it for several years.

I thought Snowbird controlled the Mt Superior property? Several years ago Alta proposed a lift up Flagstaff primarily for "avalanche control". South facing terrain makes for shitty skiing. That lift is not a part of Alta's long range plans that they have submitted to the NFS. Not saying they couldn't revive it but I have not heard anything about it for several years.
    You may be right. It could be dead. The do have grizzly gulch lift still in the plan i believe. Town of Alta controls superior far as I know as far as snow safety goes. Snowbird owns the land on superior. Alta owns a lot leading up to it from the east. If you can get that south facing early it's great. There's a reason so many tour over there.

After a lot more time up there this week I've concluded that it really, realy is a step backwards. What they've done is take a beginner area out of play (Cecret) and substituted a way to take those beginners and teeny kids to a much more advanced terrain. There are now terrified snowplowers going down Rock-n-Roll (?), basically a narrow cat track with a steep drop-off on the side. I've seen them. Imagine their horror when they get up there in a storm with wind howling and can't see a thing. And yes, Alf's is a clusterfuck.

I still want to go...

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I still want to go...
    Oh I'll still ski it no question. When the snow flies, but that doesn't mean it's better or I like it more. Never thought about the putting inexperienced beaters up there though. That sucks even more and could piss some off. While I never used the cecret beginner terrain it had a place for total beginners to have some more varied terrain instead of just Sunnyside.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Oh I'll still ski it no question. When the snow flies, but that doesn't mean it's better or I like it more. Never thought about the putting inexperienced beaters up there though. That sucks even more and could piss some off. While I never used the cecret beginner terrain it had a place for total beginners to have some more varied terrain instead of just Sunnyside.

Wait a minute, what does taking Cecret out, a 400 yard lift that served only beginner terrain have to do with inexperienced skiers going up Supreme? It’s the holidays, there are tourists everywhere. Alta had 6700 skiers on Friday, the most in 15 years and they can’t spread out due to conditions. I don’t think it has anything to do with the new lift.

^^^^this
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Wait a minute, what does taking Cecret out, a 400 yard lift that served only beginner terrain have to do with inexperienced skiers going up Supreme? It’s the holidays, there are tourists everywhere. Alta had 6700 skiers on Friday, the most in 15 years and they can’t spread out due to conditions. I don’t think it has anything to do with the new lift.
    I haven't witnessed it so I can't say. However now that it isn't cecret and supreme riders can get all the way up supreme and there isn't much beginner terrain up there. You could take cecret and run it all the way to Sugarloaf and even Sunnyside on all 100% beginner terrain. Yes it only added a few feet of vert, but was "different". Alta has such limited beginner terrain already. I am not saying they should've left cecret, but I can see how the new lift might put some people where they don't belong.

Was 6700 really the highest # in 15 years? If that true I'm glad I'm not skiing right now. Must be a total cluster up there with such limited options.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The new lift may not be everyone's favorite, but as far as I'm concerned, Alta is damn near infallible as long as they continue to offer a skiers only experience. The day they open up to snowboarders is the day I spend my last dollar at Alta.
    Then it's 100% Deer Valley for you from that point forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Then it's 100% Deer Valley for you from that point forward.
    They might cave before Alta .

Don't take this personally but the complaining about a new high speed chair at your local ski mountain makes you guys sound like cunts.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    1992 is on the phone, They want your bad attitude back.
    dirtbag, not a dentist