Denver Mags: Can you recommend a good Honda repair shop?

Denver Metro Mags,

Can you Denver guys recommend an independent repair shop that specializes in Honda/Acura Repairs? If you do have a recommendation why do you think they are good? I don’t need a shop that specializes in aftermarket engine upgrades. I just need an honest, fairly-priced shop that will do a good job of keeping something like a stock Honda Civic running/ This may include a place that does engine customizations. I’m be looking for a long-term go-to shop since our MDX will have maintenance things come up as well.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX that needs a timing belt (due to age rather than miles), water pump, an annoying rattle that occurs at stop lights and a very slow engine oil leak. This car was my wife’s high school car after my Father-In-Law bought it new and drove it to work for two years. It has been around ever since with zero issues except regular maintenance and the newer things I just mentioned. After our Subaru Forester’s engine took a dump Thanksgiving weekend we picked up a 2016 CPO Acura MDX. The original plan had been to sell the Civic on Craigslist and keep the Forester, but that has changed.

Who do you recommend I check out in Denver and nearby?

Anyone can do a 2000 civic timing belt. It is about as difficult as changing the batteries in a smoke detector.

It's been a few years, but I used to take our Honda and Subaru to Gary's in Santa Fe Arts District - http://www.garysautoservicedenver.com/

Very stand up, old school type place. Treated me well and good prices.

Based on looking a a few DIY belt change resources I looked into a timing belt replacement is well beyond my available tools, skills and patience.

Thanks for your rec Dr. Scientist. I’ll check them out. Any other recs?

Comprehensive Car Care.....on Evans just West of Downing......straight shooters, not cheap, but good/honest

Your rattle at stoplights is likely an exhaust heat shield. Rip it off!

Sent from my XT1585 using TGR Forums mobile app

Get three quotes on the belt and pump and I'll do it for the average of the three plus a pizza.

Thanks for the replies guys. One place I called wouldn’t even give me a quote over the phone for a timing belt water/pump replacement. Not even a ball park estimate after pressing them. Really? No thanks. It’s a very standard thing.

In the end I took the Civic to Mile High Honda. They had a special for the timing belt/water pump replacement for $381 with labor and battery installed for $99. Those items along with a valve adjustment, a few seal/gasket replacements and a few other things made me go there rather than eek out trying to save $150. I had a decent idea of the car’s issues and don’t feel like they were being nutty about getting me to do more than I needed to.,

I found yourmechanic.com to be a decent resource for seeing if the prices Honda was going to charge were reasonable.

Could I have saved trying to do this shit myself? Nope. I don’t have the skills, tools, patience, or time for it.

Could I have saved a bit more by going to an Indy shop? Yeah probably, but not a ton.

I sure hope it’s worth the $1150.

We decided to fix it rather than buy a ten year old Rav4 or something like that with at least as many miles. The cost to buy would have been lot more and then there are issues that can arise with cars with 130k+ miles.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by wolfelot; 12-30-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    Your rattle at stoplights is likely an exhaust heat shield. Rip it off!

Sent from my XT1585 using TGR Forums mobile app
    This is the answer

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app