Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Bump.

Oops I did it again. Fucking righteous pain from the right side of my back one or two up. The urgent care didn’t want to give me pills without an X-ray and they didn’t have the X-ray device on hand. Recommended either a wrap and OTC or go to the ER. The fuck? Shouldn’t there be a not-E R that has and X-ray? I don’t even want a fucking chest X-ray I want the fucking pills for a couple days. Fuck.

Then the fucking Safeway has a 1.7 yard ace bandage. Oh awesome. I could wrap that around my fat ass maybe once.

I about passed out from one sneeze. Going with the Tylenol naproxen weed and booze cocktail. Damn. Thanks for letting me crybaby for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Worth an xray. If displaced plating may be useful. Also, your liver is over there... displaced fracture could be no Bueno.

Paging Old Goat.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Did I crack ribs and does it matter if I did?

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Worth an xray. If displaced plating may be useful. Also, your liver is over there... displaced fracture could be no Bueno.

Paging Old Goat.

He doesn’t need plating and I would be more worried about his lung than his liver. At this point it’s probably no concern. It’s gonna hurt, for a while.

Wrapping isn’t recommended for rib fx anymore. If the fx are non displaced an X-ray probably won’t help, you need a CT. Good luck

What kind of UC can't do a chest xr? And a lot of rib fx don't show up on CXR. They wanna make you get a CT to get a few pills? Eventually though someone is going to want you to have that XR because if you need opiates now you're probably going to need more of them than an UC or ER is going to want to give you. Hope I'm wrong--get better quick.

I have had six surgeries, and countless broken other shit. But breaking six ribs was the only time I thought about asking around for more drugs after my scrips ran out, and they wouldn't give me more. I never did, but it was a little scary to contemplate. I usually get sick of them by week two or three.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Right on thanks all for the vibes and the help!

I did find an urgent care that says they can do an X-ray so I think I can start there, see what they say…

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    He doesn’t need plating and I would be more worried about his lung than his liver. At this point it’s probably no concern. It’s gonna hurt, for a while.

Wrapping isn’t recommended for rib fx anymore. If the fx are non displaced an X-ray probably won’t help, you need a CT. Good luck

And this is why I paged

Well the place with the X-ray says non displaced fracture chest 11th rib. Damn. Fuck. Only took a couple hours at the urgent care that had the X-ray machine. They gave me some pills that’s 325 Tylenol and 5mg hydrocodone; Tylenol has been helping more than naproxen so there we go. So glad I went, and that they saw it, not displaced, and were sympathetic enough to give me some pain killers. Weeehooo it’s sorta worse than I remember. Pretty sharp kinda pain. Thanks again for the advice and the vibes!!

Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 04-03-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Your total dose of tylenol (acetominophen) from the prescribed combo with hydrocodone and any over the counter tylenol should be no more than 3000mg per day, 4000 is the absolute limit but some people will get liver damage at that dose. Understand that opioids will lose their effectiveness after about 2 weeks--that's about when physical dependency kicks in, your body starts to tolerate the drugs, higher and higher doses are required to get the same pain relief or high--depending on what you're after--and withdrawal symptoms will occur if you stop them abruptly. (With hydrocodone at the dose you've been given withdrawal symptoms will be a minor problem if at all.)

Hydrocodone is not magic. What's important is that you can take a deep breath and cough--not that you can do either comfortably.
    Good luck. I had 14 rib fractures a couple of years ago. They didn't bother me much but I was getting 80mg of oxycodone a day for my broken back, which still hurt at that dose.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Your total dose of tylenol (acetominophen) from the prescribed combo with hydrocodone and any over the counter tylenol should be no more than 3000mg per day, 4000 is the absolute limit but some people will get liver damage at that dose. Understand that opioids will lose their effectiveness after about 2 weeks--that's about when physical dependency kicks in, your body starts to tolerate the drugs, higher and higher doses are required to get the same pain relief or high--depending on what you're after--and withdrawal symptoms will occur if you stop them abruptly. (With hydrocodone at the dose you've been given withdrawal symptoms will be a minor problem if at all.)

Hydrocodone is not magic. What's important is that you can take a deep breath and cough--not that you can do either comfortably.
    Good luck. I had 14 rib fractures a couple of years ago. They didn't bother me much but I was getting 80mg of oxycodone a day for my broken back, which still hurt at that dose.
    Thanks for the info man. Glad you said something especially since I was going by the “4000” as I was laying out the schedule.

Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 04-04-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Hey OG, what are your thoughts on Tramadol?

I got a bunch OTC here in Mexico, curious as to why it is OTC here, and prescription at home.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Per my MD dad, they stopped wrapping ribs many decades ago. Nothing much to be done, unless you really separated them. Broke one on my 40th b-day a few years ago and was in pretty constant pain for a month and was pretty delicate even after that. Did foolishly go surfing tail end of that first month pain window b/c waves were good, which was fun, but probably not worth it in hindsight.

^^yeah the discharge instructions mention the wrap and why it’s not done anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1649176613.917761.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	412086

Yeah, Sounds about like my previous recovery.
    I tried to ski once already the next day before I was convinced it was broken. It was painful to make quick turns. Painful to the point of not being able to do it. The place was empty so I was able to just “tilt and ride” down some groomers but the lift was painful AF too.

I used the weeks worth of hydro morphine after the ACL surgery but I couldn't handle the Tramadol, it made me jumpy and i had hiccups for most of 6 days so I cut out the opiods and just used IBU which worked out OK

not much of a drug addict I guess
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't know much about Tramadol. Never took it, never prescribed it. All I know about it is what I or anyone else can google.
    For multiple rib fractures in hospitalized patients, especially older people prone to pneumonia an epidural catheter is a pain control option. So are rib blocks--injecting the nerves under/behind the ribs. The rib blocks have a relatively high risk of collapsing the lung or injecting the blood vessels next to the nerves and are short lasting. Their target patient population appears to be quarterbacks.

Things to ask your pcp

Tramadol has some opioid and snri action. " binding of parent and M1 metabolite to μ-opioid receptors and the weak inhibition of the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin" ask your pcp s is a good option to avoid a straight up opioid for reasons of tolerance, pain receptor ramp up (,opioids will ultimately make your pain worse), constipation, itchiness, sedation, respiratory depression etc...

Ask your pcp about a stronger nsaid like toradol or celebrex

Ask your pcp about lidocaine patches

Ask your pcp about Tylenol

If you still can't tolerate the pain you could ask about gabapentin or lyrica.

Objective is a multimodal approach that is taking a med from each line above so you are using multiple medications with different mechanisms of action. Less opioids the better.

A peripheral or neuraxial nerve block are short term solutions for specific situations like intractable pain, diffuculty breathing, or a quarterback that needs to play. Fwiw the risk of ling collapse is very low with the techniques used currently. In all likelihood, not appropriate for your situation anyway, but can't say as an armchair quarterback.

Talk with your pcp about the drugs above and mostly just suck it up for a few months. Wear a mask so you don't get a cold and have to cough.

Never argue science with a guy who knows how to type Greek letters on a computer

Checking in, broke two ribs last night, one in two places. Damn, the pain is real.

I'm pretty bummed to be sidelined right as bike season ramps up, but I have a few things to be thankful for.

1) my COVID cough from two weeks ago is gone, I can't imagine dealing with that right now.

2) I took the brunt of the fall on my left shoulder, which has a history if dislocations. It is totally fine.

3) My riding friends did an A+ job getting me and my bike out of the field.

4) my bike is okay.

Ouch, I know this pain. But at least the important stuff like your bike is ok
    Heal up!

Ribs heal better than carbon fiber, for sure.