TR: Moab Thanksgiving 2017

Last couple Thanksgivings have been Sedona trips, but hoped for good weather and planned a Moab trip this year. Had never biked in Moab before, had ski trips for most of the spring trips people planned or other plans for the fall.

Worked a few hours Friday morning and then hit the road. Bad winds started in St. George, turned into a snow storm around Cedar City and had snowy roads until dropping down to Green River. Had me thinking I should have planned a ski trip for the week:

Day 1
    A few loops in the Navajo Rocks area. Started with Big Mesa:

On to Chisholm:

Crossed the highway for a lop on Mustang:

Next a loop on some new trail, Rodeo, that reminded me of Western Civilization in Sedona:

Back on Chisholm to Coney Island:

Coney Island is very fun and fast:

Ran out of sunlight, so Middle Earth back to the truck:

Fun first day on intermediate trails, total of 37 miles and 2700 ft of up.

Day 2
    Wife and two year old arrived Grand Junction airport this evening, so figured it would be a good day to check out the much hyped 18 Road trail system. Biked all the lower trails at least once, fun place, but only need 1 day here.

Classic ridge line riding:

Miles of flow:

Ended up with 28 miles and about 3000 ft of up. Nice BBQ dinner in town prior to airport pick up. And only 1 toddler meltdown on the drive back to Moab.

Day 3
    Figured I would not push my luck asking my pregnant wife and 2 year old to shuttle us to the trailhead, so took the shuttle to top of Mag 7. Fun starts right away with Get away trail:

Bull run is also very nice:

Almost missed the turn for some bonus Goldbar that cut off jeep road and glad we didn't because it was my favorite section. Felt very remote and was scenic:

With several technical ups:

Then on to Blue Dot, I took all the B lines...

Me getting my tourist photo:

The A line is to the left and has about 1000 ft of exposure:

Easy trail, but big penalty for falling:

Arches NP in the background:

Portal was fun, walked a couple sections, but didn't find it all that scary:

Road and bike path back to town:

29 miles and about 2000 ft of up, felt like more.

Day 4
    For the last day of riding I had hoped to do the Whole Enchilada, but the weekend snow storm had closed off the upper drop off for the shuttle company, so it would have been a 3/4 Enchilada. Was on the fence on riding that or Ahab/Pothole arch loops. Took the advice of some on the forum (thanks smmokan!) and did Ahab/Pothole arch loops.

Hymasa is a fun way to gain elevation:

Ahab is a blast:

Has a little bit of everything:

Back up Hymasa, then Cliff Hanger jeep trail...crazy people drive on that. Then Pothole Arch trail:

Found a high point at the end of the trail for lunch. Then back down to Pothole Arch trail:

Rockstacker is awesome:

Same with Jackson, plus some major views of the river:

Found a little extra credit back to the parking lot. Got to watch the BASE jumpers jump off the cliffs in this photo:

Total of around 17 miles and 2500 ft of up.

Day 5
    Exploring Arches National Park with the family. Started with some short hikes in the Windows area:

Perhaps I should not have shown the BASE jumpers to my toddler, she jumped off this into the sand about a dozen times:

Baby took a nap in the truck and after that put her in the pack carrier and hiked around the Devil's Garden:

3rd hike of the day was a hustle to Delicate Arch for the sunset:

Totaled around 8 miles of hiking, I was impressed my 8 month pregnant wife was up for that much hiking.

Day 6
    Started with a hike near town so that the baby could nap on the drive to Canyonlands National Park. Hung out at the White Rim picnic area for most the afternoon and the baby played on the rocks. Sunset hike to Grandview point:

Golden hour:

Another walk back to the truck in the dark, but worth it:

Day 7
    Vacated the condo and checked out some dino tracks on the way out of town:

Easy drive to Zion, although didn't notice the low fuel light for 10 miles and almost needed AAA. Checked into hotel and took the 2 year old to the pool for the afternoon. Yummy dinner at the Stage Coach Grille.

Day 8
    Delayed a few hours due to an issue in San Diego that had to deal with remotely, by the time we rolled into Zion every parking spot was taken. Thankfully I know a few off the grid spots, so wife and I had a nice lunch while baby napped and then did a short hike:

Found a parking spot at the visitors center in the afternoon and took the bus up the valley. Bus ride was 2 year olds favorite part of the trip she said:

Throwing rock in the river was also a hit:

But she was not happy with me because I did not have an umbrella at the weeping rock:

Day 9
    Loaded and ready to go at sunrise:

Seems every road trip includes an explosive poop in the car seat and this one was no different. At least I found a pull off with a view of the mega solar farm:

The End.

Nicely done. You're making me feel lazy for not doing that trip with my 2 year old this year.

Love that post-lunch roll-in shot from Pothole. There's another dino track site on Mill Canyon Rd that is even better.

That shot just put Pothole back on my priority list. Great flying toddler, too!

Extremely cool adventure!

Missed this the first time, but very cool, 406. I need to make the trip at some point.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    You're making me feel lazy for not doing that trip with my 2 year old this year.
    It certainly increases the challenge of a road trip. My next few road trips will be with a infant and a toddler...scary.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Thanks guys.

It certainly increases the challenge of a road trip. My next few road trips will be with a infant and a toddler...scary.
    I'm packing up the 2 year old and infant to do Bridger - Big Sky - Targhee - Jackson - home to the Wasatch next week.

If I am uninjured and still married, I will credit you as road trip inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm packing up the 2 year old and infant to do Bridger - Big Sky - Targhee - Jackson - home to the Wasatch next week.

If I am uninjured and still married, I will credit you as road trip inspiration.
    Awesome, good luck! I was inspired by tgr forum user HotTate's surf trip to Mexico with an infant for my first mtb road trip as a family.