July 4th Race @ Snowbasin

From the Standard-Examiner:
    -----------------------------
    Adventure Notes: Still racin' in July at Snowbasin

Monday, June 27, 2005

By Wina Sturgeon
    Adventure Notes

Would you believe there's still another ski race, right here at the 'Basin?

Yes, this is your chance to make history by entering Snowbasin's July 4th Slalom. It can't be called "annual," because this history-making event may never happen again.

The race will be an actual modified slalom with real race gates, off the top of the Needles lift on the Needles Cirque. There will be a bunch of great prizes, including free lift tickets, food coupons, shirts and other goodies. Best of all, there is no cost to enter the race.

It's a short slalom, only about 500 feet, according to mountain manager Denzel Rowland, who said, "You'll have to hike up to the snow field, but it's good for you." There will be two runs, starting at 9:30 a.m. The course will be easy, no tougher than an ordinary NASTAR, so you don't have to be a good racer to enter. You can stay up there to ski, then take the tram down if you wish.

The resort needs to know that enough people are interested before going all out to obtain bigger prizes. Give them a call at 620-1000.

Everyone will get some free goodie for entering, but the best part of all are the bragging rights.

801-620-1000

----------------------------

I know I'll be there, and I'm guessing a few other Ogden area types will be as well.

GT, flyk, and I will be heading up this Friday for some runs if anyone's interested... here are a few pics from last weekend in case you need convincing:

flyk heading down:

me setting the bootpack friday:

^^^ bump before I leave for the day...

I'm planning on being up there that day. I'm sure the bird will be a mess on the actual 4th (was the last time they did it). I doubt I'll race though. I'm also planning on being at Basin on Friday and then bird on Sat and Sun if anybody wants to get some turns.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9
    I doubt I'll race though.
    Oh, come on, it'll be fun!

MD9...DTM and I are thinking bird for a couple hours on Saturday...keep an eye out for us.

We should be there by 8:30-ish.
    you sketchy character, you

Have you seen me in spandex? It's really better for everyone. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by altachic
    MD9...DTM and I are thinking bird for a couple hours on Saturday...keep an eye out for us.

We should be there by 8:30-ish.
    Very cool. will do.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9
    Have you seen me in spandex? It's really better for everyone. Trust me.

No spandex required, thanks.

So far I believe I am heading to the Bird Sat with the northern Utards and most likely showing up for Monday Basin for a few laps.

Will contact GT.

edit: Maybe I will race one, bring back some old memories. Depends on crowd.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 06-29-2005 at 02:06 PM.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Some more info about the race was posted on Snowbasin's website today, the most interesting parts being that:

A) It costs $6 instead of $10 to ride the gondola if you race, and there's no charge for the race itself (basically they give you $4 off for racing).

B) Everyone will win something, and from the article in the standard-examiner today it sounds like most of the prizes will be day passes for next season, which are worth $50+

C) There will be a BBQ and live band on the main plaza after the race from 1-6pm.

Here's the announcement:
    -----------------------------------

Date: Jul. 4

Event: The Who Would Have Thought The 4th of July Ski Race

Description: Who would have thought that Snowbasin would be hosting it's first ever 4th of July Ski Race in 2005! This is not the Olympics, or even a World Cup, just a chance to have fun and say "I skied at Snowbasin on July 4th." Sign-up at the ski school desk in Earl's Lodge at 8:00 a.m., or call (801) 620-1000 and sign up by phone. No charge for the race but there is a discounted $6 charge for racers to access the gondola (normal rate is $8). The race will begin at 9:30 a.m., without an official start list (first come first serve). Everyone wins something! The course is a 10 gate modified NASTAR type slalom. Awards will be held after the race at the Main Plaza. Then stay for our 4th of July Party!

Time: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Where: Earl's Lodge, Needles Gondola, the mountain & Main Plaza

Price: Discounted Lift Pass of $6

Reservations: (801) 620-1000

I'd love to do that, but a little far to go for 10 gates. Killington's 10 gates was a little far to go two months ago (not that it stopped me).
    [quote][//quote]

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Schweet! Been waiting for an occasion to break out my mesh half-cut, sleeveless tee this summer! It'll let my upper back hair wave in the wind while running gates.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy
    It'll let my upper back hair wave in the wind while running gates.
    And you wonder why I don't call you back.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Backpack. Since it is a whole half hour away, I plan to go up and I think I will race too, just for memories sake.

You plan on being there and racing too?

Lumpy, come on up to the old stomping grounds (and bring your skins)!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    You plan on being there and racing too?
    Yup, I'll be there.

Bump because it's tomorrow and the bird will have hour long lift lines.

Red face

I got the "it would be nice to see you around since my mom is only here one more day". Had to pass on Basin today after hearing that. Plus this gaper is still a bit worked from skiing the Bird on the 2nd. I use term skiing loosely.

But I had a great time!

Can't wait to see pics from the race!

See some of you this evening.

Well, I missed 3rd place in my age group by 0.2 seconds... oh well. I still got a free lift ride/lunch out of it!

It was a fun race... lots of people hanging out watching and a full on electronic timing system and announcer, music, etc. etc.

No pics yet... I didn't take very many but I probably have a few of the course or something.

yeah, lets see pics!

hey, did they really give out lift tickets for next season???

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    hey, did they really give out lift tickets for next season???
    Yea, they did, and they raffled off a season pass for next winter too... 1 in 83 wasn't bad odds but some little 8 year old won... go figure. They raffled off summer lift rides, lunches, bike rentals, and winter lift passes in addition to the winter lift passes, summer lift passes, and summer lift ride/lunch coupons that were given to the winners in each age category. Everyone also got a 25% off coupon for gear (which with the 50% off sale right now makes things pretty cheap), water bottle, and T-shirt, along with a lift ride, for the $6 entry fee. (considering the lift ride is normally $8, racing was cheaper than sight-seeing today)

Woah, I'm famous. And they got backback and GT40 mixed up.
    And isn't Spencer Wheatley an alta skier?
    http://www.snowbasin.com/7-04-05_race_results.html

By the looks of those times, that "little 8 year old" that won the season pass is a ripper. She would have placed 7th in the Male 26-45 category, and 2nd in the Male 19-25.

All the racer kids and racers were lined up for more than a half hour in the morning for their chance to go while it was cold. The rest of us went and skied runs until the line was completely gone. My dad and I were the last 2 to go. The snow was pretty much glue by then. But we got some good jumping in while those other guys were in line.