Thread: Wader advice

Wader advice

I have recently taken up striper fishing in the surf and although I love being out in shorts sometimes those overnight fishing trips get a bit cold. What is a decent pair of waders that I don't have to break the bank for? Keep in mind they will probably only be used 3-4 times a year. I would like the soft stockingfeet, and have been told that for the money Frogg Toggs are pretty damn good- is this accurate? Can a $100 pair of waders work for a whole year? I am a size Med and would be looking for chest waders. Thanks for any advice, I have no idea what I'm talking about or really looking for.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I have a pair of Frogg Togg's that ran about $200 and have held up very good. They're not as cool as Simms but they work.

Simms makes saltwater wading boots. You might be interested in those if you are looking to pair some inexpensive waders with good boots. In my experience, it's the boots that wear out quickest so it's smart to invest a little extra there in durability. Waders keep one dry but its the boots that keep you standing upright and safe from falls. I have a damaged wrist that is testament to the fact that it is not a good idea to cheap out on wading boots.

As to the waders, you can wear breathables in salt but neoprene has some advantages. One is price; good neoprene is cheaper than good breathables. Secondly, if you ever get knocked over by a wave or take a tumble off a jetty, you'll be glad you were wearing form fitting neoprene and not baggy breathables. Neoprene is horribly hot on a sunny day but if you are only using them for saltwater night fishing, it may be the best choice.

DoWork,

All the salt guys who surf fish here in RI wear neoprene. I have seen very few of them in breathable, especially with peak season being when the water is cold (early spring run) or late in the season when the air is cold (fall run). Cabelas neoprene is a solid bet and is what many guys sport. I wear my breathables, but only because I am cheap as fuck.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Had an Orvis wader and had no problems with it. Now I have Simms G3 wader which I like very much.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeson View Post
    Had an Orvis wader and had no problems with it. Now I have Simms G3 wader which I like very much.
    How were those priced? OP doesn't want to 'break the bank.'

I've heard for surf fishing you want to go with boot foot chest waders. The reason being that with sock foot chest waders sand will work it's way under the wader cuff and quickly wear out the sock foot. But that's for fishing off the beach, if I was fishing off a jetty I'd def. go with sock feet and good felt soled boots.

It may not matter to you, but I actually prefer the breathables in surf because the neoprene float a little bit, and the "non-floatyness" gives me better traction.

It's not a big deal, but when I switched, I liked the grounded feeling better. Love the warmth of neoprene though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Do Work ,as an avid surf fisher,pretty much fish every night from mid may till end of oct,i would recvommend stocking foot waders if you have to walk any distance,for me finding a bootfoot that fits and surports is hard to find.Cabelas has in expensive waders that a good choice or check out seirra trading post they often have waders. personally for me my Simms G3 have been the cheapest pair of waders i have ever owned if i go by what they cost per time used.i would have to say that most guys that fish the surf wear breathable waders not neopreme. always wear a wading belt regardless