Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    I have a can of RMOS that spent a summer under my drivers seat. I keep it at the ready for a good prank on someone someday.

Those other beers thread

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I wish more of those "Hop Bomb" joints would also do a lager. I'd visit them more often.
    One of my local breweries has been a self proclaimed lager house that ventures into British style ales. They even have beer engines for real ales that they’ve never installed. With the NE IPA craze, they’ve fallen suit and are currently brewing several really good NE IPAs and DIPAs, but I really wish they’d further dive into lagers and go full bore with the British ales.

These are pretty good. They used to sell it at O'Flannigan's in Park City.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190614_204842588.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	285911Click image for larger version. 

ID:	285911Click image for larger version. 

ID:	285911

Must be a sechy beer if you had three?

Or you just like it a lot.

I will keep an eye out 4it.
    watch out for snakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6405.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	970.9 KB 
ID:	285969

Field House Brewing, Abbotsford, BC
    STYRIAN FOX NORDIC FARMHOUSE

This farmhouse ale was brewed with barley, wheat, and oats, then fermented at high temperatures with a Norwegian Kviek yeast strain known for producing citrus and floral notes. We complemented these flavours by lightly hopping with two new Slovenian hop varieties, Styrian Fox and Styrian Wolf.

6.5% ABU | 20 IBU
    Light, refreshing, earthy-grainy, somewhat tart and very drinkable. At 6.5% this one could be dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    One of my local breweries has been a self proclaimed lager house that ventures into British style ales. They even have beer engines for real ales that they’ve never installed. With the NE IPA craze, they’ve fallen suit and are currently brewing several really good NE IPAs and DIPAs, but I really wish they’d further dive into lagers and go full bore with the British ales.
    No such thing as a good hop bomb.

Found this story about Anchor Brewing in San Francisco to be interesting, especially considering when I went to college Anchor, (along with Sierra Nevada, Red Tail Ale (it used to only come in champagne magnum bottles!), Red Nectar, and a few others like Red Hook and Full Sail, were the only "craft" beer game in town. So many of those have disappeared or been gobbled up by big conglomerates these days, it's kind of sad...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/art...g-13959970.php
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Found this story about Anchor Brewing in San Francisco to be interesting, especially considering when I went to college Anchor, (along with Sierra Nevada, Red Tail Ale (it used to only come in champagne magnum bottles!), Red Nectar, and a few others like Red Hook and Full Sail, were the only "craft" beer game in town. So many of those have disappeared or been gobbled up by big conglomerates these days, it's kind of sad...

Very interesting. Last visited in 2010. Sounds like I wouldn’t like it as much now.

I’ll now add California Common to my list of beers to try. Been stuck in an Altbier phase. So sick and tired of hop bombs...

Many are carrying on the craft beer legacy. I will be doing this soon.
    watch out for snakes

Full Sail. I bought a keg of that on a visit to Portland in 91. It was a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

Good article. I enjoyed the final summation:
    What I can’t stop wondering is: At precisely what moment will this demand for the bizarre in beer start to give? Pendulums never stay at one pole for long; extremes can’t last. When the fever for fruited kettle sours finally breaks, I am confident that beer drinkers — that San Franciscans — will return to the types of beers that never go out of style. The clean, the balanced, the refreshing. You know, like Anchor Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Good article. I enjoyed the final summation:
    Exactly. I did enjoy me some Steam once upon a time. Hoping for what is old to be new again.

I'm so over the IPA and the overly hopped thing. I've moved back to more simple Lagers but aiming for reds and darks. There is some good work being done but not nearly enough. I'll go into a store with 100+ choices and maybe find 2 other than Sam Adams Boston Lager. Even Ales have gotten too complex and funky.

I feel like pilsners are gaining some traction, but not a whole lot of other lager styles.

Bottom line is that lagers are more time-consuming and expensive to make, so most small brewers aren't going to deal with them--especially when IPAs are so popular.

I like beer

I feel like pilsners are gaining some traction, but not a whole lot of other lager styles.

Bottom line is that lagers are more time-consuming and expensive to make, so most small brewers aren't going to deal with them--especially when IPAs are so popular.
    Schwarzbier, Bitte.

These cats iin Davis, California have been doing nuttin' but lagers for the past 30 years...

https://www.sudwerkbrew.com/

Name:	IMG_6405.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	970.9 KB 
ID:	285969

Light, refreshing, earthy-grainy, somewhat tart and very drinkable. At 6.5% this one could be dangerous...
    Kviek yeast is going to be the next big thing. It is already gaining traction and is used in IPAs, APAs, etc. Next it will be listed as a 'style' on labels which beer geeks will drink up.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Kviek yeast is going to be the next big thing. It is already gaining traction and is used in IPAs, APAs, etc. Next it will be listed as a 'style' on labels which beer geeks will drink up.
    Yeah. Probably a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Yeah. Probably a year or two ago.
    You’re so far ahead of the curve its straight where you hang out.

I'd only heard about kviek a few months ago when I started researching my trip to Norway this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    You’re so far ahead of the curve its straight where you hang out.
    I don't know I just feel like I've seen a bunch of them. More and more recently but at least last summer there were a few cans I bought

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I don't know I just feel like I've seen a bunch of them. More and more recently but at least last summer there were a few cans I bought
    Yeah, ya see, having a few cans on the shelf doesn’t make it a “big thing”.

Yet.

This is good. Spotted it in the fridge at the local market with a great beer selection so had to try it since it fits my current thing for dark lagers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190619_195713.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	286310

Tahoe Pilz: A Classic Pilsner
    FiftyFifty Brewing Co., Truckee, CA
    ABV: 5.3%
    Hops: ?
    BOD: 5/14/19
    Drink Date: 6/19/19

From the label: "Lake Tahoe's premier Czech-style Lager. Crisp, refreshing, and clean."

I dig how they embrace the Oxford comma in their can spiel. And I agree with their marketing. This is a clean and crisp pilsner that reminds me, a bit, of the stuff you actually get in the Czech Republic and Eastern Germany (Staropramen, Radeberger, Budvar, etc.). It has that bitter bite with just a hint of malt to even things out. While I'm primarily an IPA head, this was a solid brew and went well with a spicy dinner of quinoa, asparagus, potatoes, cauliflower, and homemade arugula-and-kale pesto.

Name:	IMG_8001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	286314