Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This Christmas: WWMD?

Short story: After three bad snow Christmases in Europe, I reserved flights to Denver and got Epic passes (for me, my girlfriend and my 16yo son) to enjoy the amazing stateside powder. So you can blame me for the low snow in Colorado...(and yes, Europe is going off)

I kept hoping for snow but it looks like not a lot is coming until this weekend.

My options:
    - make do with Colorado conditions (not much snow but hey, Arctic temps!)
    - cancel the accommodation in Eagle, head to JH which has a better base, take the cost hit on new ski passes (at least we get to use the Epic passes at Whistler in April)
    - do something completely different - sightseeing/ photography trip somewhere (Utah?) or maybe combine a few days sightseeing and a few days at JH

There's an outside option of staying in Europe but psychologically we're kinda "sold" on going to the US...

My girlfriend is progressing at an amazing rate but still very new to skiing so just starting to ski off marked trails this season. My son is much better (but not a hotshot by any means). We'd most likely stay inbounds wherever we go (even if there was snow).

WWMD?
    You really need to stop knowing WTF you're talking about. (Tippster)

So you have everything all lined up for an awesome trip to Colorado and now at the last minute you are thinking about spending way more for Wyoming? You are excused because you are obviously not from around here. Don't choke! (in American that means don't screw up) Wyoming should always be way less expensive. I know that there is good skiing there but the fact that it is in Wyoming is a huge downside. I try to avoid that place and cannot advise flying across the world to go to Wyoming.
    I bet there will be lots of terrain open in Colorado and it will be lots of fun. If it's cold they make lots of snow and will have time to lay down a sweet groom for your GF. Also it sounds like you like to go sightseeing and take photo's etc and that will be way more chill in Colorado.
    Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas!

Southern Utah is pretty incredible if you've never been. Moab looks a little cold in the next few days but Zion looks pretty damn good. Rent some mountain bikes while your down there...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Can you swing Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    So you have everything all lined up for an awesome trip to Colorado and now at the last minute you are thinking about spending way more for Wyoming? You are excused because you are obviously not from around here. Don't choke! (in American that means don't screw up) Wyoming should always be way less expensive. I know that there is good skiing there but the fact that it is in Wyoming is a huge downside. I try to avoid that place and cannot advise flying across the world to go to Wyoming.
    I bet there will be lots of terrain open in Colorado and it will be lots of fun. If it's cold they make lots of snow and will have time to lay down a sweet groom for your GF. Also it sounds like you like to go sightseeing and take photo's etc and that will be way more chill in Colorado.
    Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas!
    I should probably mention that I skied in JH a couple of times before ;-) last time swerve was nice enough to show us around (me and my mate irbis, that is) and then hoarhey took us on a great day out skinning on the pass and ending up in Idaho...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Can you swing Japan?
    haha, well played sir

Send the kid to the slopes with a few $20s for entertainment
    Enjoy a few romps with girlfriend in empty hotel room.
    Repeat.

Stick with Colorado. It's beautiful, it will be different, just accept that the skiing may not be as great as you hoped. If you have the $$$ to consider switching up reservations to Jackson and buying passes there too, you have the $$$ to make your trip to Colorado more interesting. Do a snowmobile tour. Eat at the Tennessee Pass cookhouse. Ride the Georgetown Loop Railroad. Soak in the hot springs at Glenwood. Or since you'll have a rental car, drive to Moab for a night or two.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What about using those Epic passes at Stowe? About as picturesque a place as you can get during Christmas. New England has some of the best conditions in N America right now.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

from what it sounds like you're gonna be skiing, just stick with the plan. if it sucks, as Danno said, go to Moab. if you've never been, it will blow your mind. I'd be happy to recommend some hikes there, and others can probably recommend some good mountain biking if that's more your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    What about using those Epic passes at Stowe? About as picturesque a place as you can get during Christmas. New England has some of the best conditions in N America right now.
    The pnw would disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    Um, what?
    Does it suck that bad everywhere else?

Look at mt baker or whistler. Also even the low altitude resorts in WA have gotten more snow this year than any new England resort. Especially after today (it has been dumping).

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Wyoming should always be way less expensive. I know that there is good skiing there but the fact that it is in Wyoming is a huge downside. I try to avoid that place and cannot advise flying across the world to go to Wyoming.
    What's your beef against Wyoming?

I'd save the money, get over the psychological commitment to travel, and ski at home.

If snow is any more than 30% of your intent, then honestly, you do not want to come to Colorado.

Sure, you can find things to do that don't involve snow, but why would you travel all this way to do that?

Honestly, bag it and save that cash for another time. Plus, it's really crowded here with people already in your same shoes- stuck with prior reservations and nothing to do but drink hot chocolate.

Or, please post a TR of how you fared with your epic pass in CO over the holidays to help the next poor souls who try to make it fun.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

If you can afford to eat the cost, why not stay in Europe and ski amazing conditions at home for a change? Flying around the world to scratch around garbage low tide/WROD conditions sounds like torture to me.

Or just postpone your stay till April. Easter is on april fools day, so it should actually be good skiing.

Or hang with all your tourist friends at the spa: https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-...s-have-fallen/
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Come to Colorado anyway and if the snow still sucks, smoke a lot of weed. I'm probably headed out that way to hang at my new place in the SW part of the state. PM me if you make it to Durango area.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Are you out of pocket anything if you cancel? (and get a refund, or rebook for later?)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good thing we have you, the blue square groomer skier, to show everyone the way to the promised land. Chill out, JONG.

If you make it out let me know. I'm near Winter Park these days. I could make it over towards Vail for drinks sometime while you're here. As others have said conditions are lacking and crowds will be big but checking out new resorts is always fun to me.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Kinda like a third world country if you ever have a run in with the authorities. Good chance you will never see a cop but if you do there is a good chance they will want to stop you for who knows what. My dad is the most white bread looking guy and when he asked why he got pulled over the cop said "well we don't see a lot of cars out here" and then walked back to his cruiser with Dad's license. After a couple of minutes the cop just gave his license back and said have a nice day but never would give another reason for the stop. My wife was with a friend and they were stopped by the side of the road and a cop pulled up and instead of asking if they needed help he accused them of smelling like weed arrested my wife's friend and impounded the car. My wife had to take the bus because she was on a schedule and her friend was released a couple of days later with no charges. Anyways I hear stories like this all the time. Also, all of Wyoming is BFE and there is lots of BFE land all over the west so...
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What's your beef against Wyoming?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Good thing we have you, the blue square groomer skier, to show everyone the way to the promised land. Chill out, JONG.
    Thanks.

Beat me too it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Nothing wrong with being an intermediate skier, nor is correcting someone on where the prime spots to ski are. Jay peak may have 113 inches but the same can be said about resorts through out the Pnw or interior BC. Chill out CUNT!

Nothing wrong with being an intermediate skier, nor is correcting someone on where the prime spots to ski are. Jay peak may have 113 inches but the same can be said about resorts through out the Pnw or interior BC. Chill out CUNT!
    Don't you have a blue square to beater down somewhere?