From the South: Road Trip

I'm driving up from Austin to Denver on Wednesday. Then flying to family for Christmas and back to Denver on the 27th. My friend is meeting up with me and we're dirtbagging out of my minivan for the next few weeks.

Down to meet up with anyone if their interested, may even bite the bullet and drive to Washington depending on the snow...but hoping to not go that far. Maybe we'll just MTB.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation of a safe spot to park my car while I'm gone (or would let me throw some of my skis in their garage) that would be appreciated! Not sure how I feel about parking it for 5 days at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Not sure how I feel about parking it for 5 days at the airport.
    Why?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

With a roofbox full of skis? Maybe it's not a concern, but it sure would be shitty if someone stole them.

With a roofbox full of skis? Maybe it's not a concern, but it sure would be shitty if someone stole them.
    Think about it for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Think about it for a minute.
    If you're suggesting I just put it in the car that's not really a great option in my opinion either. Car is relatively old, no real security system, and easily bypassed. Plus you can see them sitting in there, and no one will blink an eye at a car alarm in a huge parking lot.

If you're suggesting that the roofbox is opaque so no one knows if there's stuff in there, that may be true, but if someone does choose to wreck the box I'd rather lose the box than the box and skis.

Not sure what exactly you're alluding to.

If you're suggesting I just put it in the car that's not really a great option in my opinion either. Car is relatively old, no real security system, and easily bypassed. Plus you can see them sitting in there, and no one will blink an eye at a car alarm in a huge parking lot.

If you're suggesting that the roofbox is opaque so no one knows if there's stuff in there, that may be true, but if someone does choose to wreck the box I'd rather lose the box than the box and skis.

Not sure what exactly you're alluding to.
    Did it ever occur to you that folks don't go to secure airport parking to steal skis out of a box on a beater with Texas plates?

At least you"d still have your crampons?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Fair enough.

You think TSA will let me wear my crampons through security? I do have precheck, so that means shoes don't come off.

Crampons are probably the smartest thing to bring to Colorado right now.

Fair enough.

You think TSA will let me wear my crampons through security? I do have precheck, so that means shoes don't come off.
    For your own safety I hope they take them away from you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm driving up from Austin to Denver on Wednesday. Then flying to family for Christmas and back to Denver on the 27th. My friend is meeting up with me and we're dirtbagging out of my minivan for the next few weeks.

Down to meet up with anyone if their interested, may even bite the bullet and drive to Washington depending on the snow...but hoping to not go that far. Maybe we'll just MTB.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation of a safe spot to park my car while I'm gone (or would let me throw some of my skis in their garage) that would be appreciated! Not sure how I feel about parking it for 5 days at the airport.

I live in SLC and I'm looking for folks to head up Jackson on the New Year's weekend for some backcountry skiing. All my friends are either out of town or have family stuff. Ideally, I'd be looking at leaving on Saturday early morning and coming back on Monday night. Let me know if that appeals to you. The Tetons are getting hammered with snow right now. I have a yurt trip over Christmas, otherwise I'd be headed up there after work tonight. Parking and ski storage at my place would not be an issue.
    Last edited by zs3889; 12-22-2017 at 05:33 PM.