186 Legend Pro original orange

I have a set of original orange legend pros mounted once for markers. Top and bases in good shape one ski has a slight bend in the tip. The other is good. Make an offer I’d rather sale local. I’ll post pics tomorrow
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Bump for pics
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

I’ve been skiing a pair of these all month. Classics for sure.

what can someone tell me about these OG legend pros?

If a pair is found in decent shape: top sheets a little chewed up but plenty of edge and base left to work? Mounted once, true original camber(not bent...) what are they worth? I understand they are two layers of titanal, so beefy ski is probably an understatement, I get that part of it...for perspective, the old Kastle National team super Gs 212 were one of my fondest memories of arcing turns...

I've read the term "Race Room" versions being thrown around, were there two classes of these released to the general public? Multiple sizes? or just the 186?

Is there a better resource to get some info other than TGR?

thanks for some info!

MY OG LP's have a nearly identical rocker in just one tip. I always superstitiously put them on the same feet so I had a quick-turn/skid/shutdown ski for my weak side and the stronger edge for my dominant-side turns.

Scooter, I imagine there are plenty of LP threads to find. Not sure about worth beyond significant nostalgia, but mine are always a pleasure for crud busting even completely beat with top sheets peeling and some sidewall compression.

paging Chairman of the Board of Dynastar Fanboys, Leavenworth Skier to the orange and white courtesy phone

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    what can someone tell me about these OG legend pros?

If a pair is found in decent shape: top sheets a little chewed up but plenty of edge and base left to work? Mounted once, true original camber(not bent...) what are they worth?
    so cheap you should just get a pair to find out for yourself.

They are great skis and I like to bust them out for the first few weeks just to get "right" with my technique and force me to stay on top of a ski. They smooth out variable conditions very well. I don't know about the race room/non race room, but I think most LP's came out of the RR, I know the 105's do/did. The 186 is not overly beefy IMO, similarly demanding to todays rockered 190+ freeride skis.

Get some.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    They are great skis and I like to bust them out for the first few weeks just to get "right" with my technique and force me to stay on top of a ski..
    That’s exactly why I own a similar set of skis myself. Get the rhythm, hop back on a more modern pair and they’ll feel like they ski themselves.

all excellent points...I gotta line on a pair, as described, and hope to pay less than $50...

when were they actually made? 2010? earlier?

need to find some period specific bindings to get the vibe right

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    paging Chairman of the Board of Dynastar Fanboys, Leavenworth Skier to the orange and white courtesy phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    so cheap you should just get a pair to find out for yourself.

They are great skis and I like to bust them out for the first few weeks just to get "right" with my technique and force me to stay on top of a ski. They smooth out variable conditions very well. I don't know about the race room/non race room, but I think most LP's came out of the RR, I know the 105's do/did. The 186 is not overly beefy IMO, similarly demanding to todays rockered 190+ freeride skis.

Get some.
    it looks like my co-chair was able to answer. honestly the OG LP is a ski I've bought twice but never skied.

Are the OG 97-mm orange-scicle ones from 2006-ish?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Are the OG 97-mm orange-scicle ones from 2006-ish?
    Yes.

I don't know the whole story but I'll pitch in here.

I have over 400 days on my originals which were new in 2005, being the 3rd owner. I bought them from the Tram Jam drummer who paid $100 to a race crew gal, who won them in a crew-only raffle.
    She mounted them but the 194 was a bit much so she sold them to him. He was trying to transition from Tele-master over to alpine but this was not the ski for that.

I skied over 100 days one season on them and man lemme tell ya, I could ski some shit after that. I consider them my benchmark for a challenging top tier daily driver.

Fuzzy details to follow. Maybe Nobis? was transitioning from racing DH into big mtn. freeskiing and the first round of production was fall 2005. Basically a wider (95mm?)dh style board for stability at speed and through most chunder, drifts, etc. They adjusted the overall build, detuned the driver requirements just a tad and made the following line that so many love.

The following yr. had the same exact look but not the same build. but close. The difference between true race room build is often in the overall durability and longevity of that pair.

It's a ski for a heavy skier with skills or someone who can roll that way. It will respond like a thoroughbred when you open them up. Stability at 50+ is liking standing still in a bubble. I would genuinely argue that these are as close as you can get to a GS/SG ski but still be a manageable daily driver. Def not for everyone.

I am fortunate to have huge world class groomers and quiet days to rock these out. And a soft crud lower faces day will see high speed gs turns look and feel easy. Being in the backseat on these is like riding in the rumble seat of some Nascar rig.

I was lucky enough to snag a low mileage pair from theFugitive/Boissal last year. Way more camber than my elders.

Djongo and co. thanks. I've read about them for a few years, and sorta lucked onto this pair, decided to dig alittle.

I think the pair I'm looking at (like i said, one mount, looks like they've never been through a belt or stone session, lotsa life left) are 186, though markings on this pair are few and far between...so, 194 was available? feeling lucky to have stumbled onto this pair...

I hope to get these purchased and mounted tomorrow, headed up to squaw and alpine sat and sun, Kendo(also OG 184 full camber, plenty of fun) and Spurs(gotta wait for some deep ;-) will sit unused if I get these setup for my inaugural day for the season.

I own that pair, bought them from LVS. Top sheets are beat to shit, bases are good. I don’t find them that demanding. They do like to haul ass and are very damp. They will see some action this weekend.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 12-04-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I own that pair, bought them from LVS. Top sheets are bear to shit, bases are good. I don’t find them that demanding. They do like to haul ass and are very damp. They will see some action this weekend.
    Yeah, I guess I never hear too much bad about them, from anyone that gets some time on them...and might like speed? So, game on!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    Yeah, I guess I never hear too much bad about them, from anyone that gets some time on them...and might like speed? So, game on!
    That’s the spirit!

This is my 3rd pair of this vintage. Likes to be driven, no back seat allowed.

I have to agree that demanding is not necessarily the word, they just want a driver. I did find them actually very versatile all mountain skiing and when pushed, can deliver really confident results. They like to ski over or through most crud.

As they don't have much sidecut, they skid at speed with weight and stability and a confident skier can relax on them.

I like that as I have to check speed for the wranglers and other impedimentia.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I have to agree that demanding is not necessarily the word, they just want a driver. I did find them actually very versatile all mountain skiing and when pushed, can deliver really confident results. They like to ski over or through most crud.

As they don't have much sidecut, they skid at speed with weight and stability and a confident skier can relax on them.

I like that as I have to check speed for the wranglers and other impedimentia.
    Second this, especially the 186. Just because they love speed doesn't mean that you need to be 100% on it to ski them. Damp, straight, and predictable means you can get moving without having to worry about how they are going to react. Head out for groomer day and you can practically take a nap on them at speed.