Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody know eagles?

And this three-toed sloth was not as lucky as the above kid...dinner for that Harpy eagle!

The vid is obviously a composite of a few vids, but the flight itself is actual footage. I think that small sloth would be the Pygmy sloth of Panama...a very rare species. I hope those harpies don't eat too many of them.

Sloths are actually a regular food source of the Harpy according to one article.

holy moly the videos been intense! cant do the sloth one

We were at the vets ofc recently and saw an ad for these little shield vests warn on a dog's back
    http://www.raptorshield.com/
    which I laughed at at first but seems like a decent idea
    we see bald eagles almost daily here in the summer and I bet they would love my plump little terrier

our neighborhood is actually a dope bird zone- we have a creek running through the middle of it and they kept a lot of open area -we have an osprey nest platform, lots of owls.
    living in this house for the past few yrs has definitely gotten me more psyched about birding
    http://www.rafterj.org/gallery-2/ngg...reat-gray-owl/
    skid luxury

Bald Eagles are fairly common from the Canadian border to the Lower Hudson Valley. The morning train from Albany to NYC usually allows travelers to spot 3 or 4 along the Hudson.

Ravens are also common in the general area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    But I think he meant the Philadelphia Eagles team. ��
    Oh, ok. Too bad about Wentz. This could have been their year.

I was in Juneau once. Bald eagles on all the lamp posts. They're like pigeons there. I don't think there are any in Philadelphia, but then there are no lions in Detroit and no real cowboys in Dallas.

Recently read someone say what a disaster it was banning DDT--because it's harder to control mosquitoes. Fuck them (whoever said that and mosquitoes both).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Oh, ok. Too bad about Wentz. This could have been their year.

I was in Juneau once. Bald eagles on all the lamp posts. They're like pigeons there. I don't think there are any in Philadelphia, but then there are no lions in Detroit and no real cowboys in Dallas.
    This is like the blind leading the blind.

Creedence!

There was a tree at the end of our street that had a bald eagle's nest for as long as anyone can remember. New owners cut it down. Fuckers.

Does anybody know eagles?

There are bold eagles around us.
    I saw one on 87 eating some roadkill on the to minnewaska to hike.

Their head don’t turn white until they reach age 5.
    In case you didn’t know.

Baldies eating cow placenta during calving season is a common sight around here. The baldies sometimes share the placenta feast with Black-billed Magpies and Common Ravens.

Ewwwww........gross.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Baldies eating cow placenta during calving season is a common sight around here. The baldies sometimes share the placenta feast with Black-billed Magpies and Common Ravens.
    What's the right sous vide temperature for cow placenta?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Creedence!
    Another band I could do without. (And it's not possible to get stuck in Lodi.)

This guy's been sitting in the same tree for almost 20 years, He was used to me being around and wouldn't fly away when I walked under him.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eagle.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	553.3 KB 
ID:	219094
    When I first moved there I was walking along a split rail fence and one of my cats was walking alongside me on top of the fence, I felt something brush my face (a big wing) and saw an eagle was about to grab the cat. For some reason he didn't. They never bothered the cats again even though the cats would sit on the roof of the house 100' away from the eagle who almost grabbed one of them. There was another eagle from the same family who used to fly across the straight to Anacortes every day returning before dark every evening, We called him the commuting eagle.

I didn't bother to read through this thread, but Bald Eagles have a very distinctive chatter or noise they make.
    When you hear it, that isn't a damn crow or raven.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Not a baldie....but DAMN...that is one lucky kid.

FAKE.

You could say I know a fair amount about eagles. Bald eagles tend to be dicks personality-wise.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    FAKE
    Yeah, it's fake. The makers admitted so.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    You could say I know a fair amount about eagles. Bald eagles tend to be dicks personality-wise.
    BTW, that's a Golden Eagle. Note the wing dihedral, among other things

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Yeah, it's fake. The makers admitted so.

BTW, that's a Golden Eagle. Note the wing dihedral, among other things
    I know - just commenting on BAEA in general. Haven't worked with GOEA.

There's also something really off with the way that bird moves. Just bad CGI.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Maybe it was a blue heron? Fer chrissakes Benny. Buy a bird book.

Aren't you supposed to be in CO by now?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I have a picture "Somewhere" of local Golden Eagle with a 9 foot + wing span
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I have a picture "Somewhere" of local Golden Eagle with a 9 foot + wing span
    How was that measured? Bird in hand? Or estimate from photo? That would be an unusually large GOEA. 8' is usually considered maximum GOEA wingspan.

Its not unusual to see a murder of crows diving on a bald eagle and bugging shit out of them chasing them off and the only thing more intense is watching red wing black birds chasing off a crow and they are all assholes cuz they are trying to find something to eat ... no food stamps in the natural world
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What if you run out of time and money?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    What if you run out of time and money?
    It's a bedroom community of Stockton and Sacramento, on a major highway. Worse comes to worse you hitch up to Sacto where there are food lockers and homeless shelters. It's just funny because the song makes it sound like it's in the middle of nowhere. Kinda of like shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die. They'd put you in prison in Carson City, not Folsom. Artistic license.

Any way neither The Eagles (either one) or CCR are as cool as a bald eagle.

Used to be goldens nesting on Lover's Leap near Tahoe. I was climbing there once with a golden circling overhead with the sun shining through it's wings. Seen that way you understand why they call them goldens.

and a bald eagle aint as cool as a golden eagle

Used to be goldens nesting on Lover's Leap near Tahoe. I was climbing there once with a golden circling overhead with the sun shining through it's wings. Seen that way you understand why they call them goldens.
    They call 'em Golden Eagles because of the golden nape, which is present on juvenile and adult GOEAs

It's a bedroom community of Stockton and Sacramento, on a major highway. Worse comes to worse you hitch up to Sacto where there are food lockers and homeless shelters. It's just funny because the song makes it sound like it's in the middle of nowhere. Kinda of like shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die. They'd put you in prison in Carson City, not Folsom. Artistic license.

It's amazing that these references continue to fly right over your head, even when presented with clues.

I would bet that when John Fogerty wrote 'Lodi' it still was figuratively 'in the middle of nowhere'.