Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Does anybody know eagles?

I think I saw a couple of bald eagles while I was pumping my gas today in upstate NY. A not too busy place right by the end of the Taconic. Saw two, what I thought were large crows, sort of lightly jousting at low altitude right near the pump, and then they flew off into the trees across the road. Except they had big white tails and white heads. That's a blad eagle, right, if it's that size and shape? Cloudy, dreary day, my eyes suck lately.

There aren't too many birds that match that description but an eagle is significantly larger than a crow. They winter along the rivers here in SW CO and they're pretty easy to spot, the head/tail is pretty much a dead giveaway.
    The Sheriff is near!

ospreys have a lot of white on them and like to play around but are smaller
    I think eagles are also more widespread now and are in NY so could have been them too- But eagles are big

so the biggest determining factor would be if you thought it was a big ass MF bird? if so it was probably an eagle
    'merica
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I think I saw a couple of bald eagles while I was pumping my gas today in upstate NY. A not too busy place right by the end of the Taconic. Saw two, what I thought were large crows, sort of lightly jousting at low altitude right near the pump, and then they flew off into the trees across the road. Except they had big white tails and white heads. That's a blad eagle, right, if it's that size and shape? Cloudy, dreary day, my eyes suck lately.
    crow compared to eagle:
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    There aren't too many birds that match that description but an eagle is significantly larger than a crow. They winter along the rivers here in SW CO and they're pretty easy to spot, the head/tail is pretty much a dead giveaway.
    We have big crows. Almost as big as that. That's what first made me say, hey, wait.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

I know they like to drink lots of cheap booze away from their wives in a dark and dingy club bar.

Balds & goldens have a 6'+ wingspan, they are not a "large crow". That line up with what you saw?
    Like Garth said, balds are pretty distinguishable, and they are usually accompanied with "America" by Waylon Jennings playing off in the distance.
    We saw a golden doing laps over the Black Canyon of the Gunnison this July - nature stoke level was high!

We have big crows. Almost as big as that. That's what first made me say, hey, wait.....

LOL!! I can assure you that the American crows you see where you live are not any bigger than crows anywhere else in the US. Maybe you have Ravens which are bigger but given the fact that you couldn't tell a crow from an American Bald Eagle tells me you don't know birds (no offense intended).

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    ospreys have a lot of white on them and like to play around but are smaller
    I think eagles are also more widespread now and are in NY so could have been them too- But eagles are big

so the biggest determining factor would be if you thought it was a big ass MF bird? if so it was probably an eagle
    'merica
    Not to go all Marlin Perkins on you but ospreys don't look anything like bald eagles. They're brown/white as opposed to black/white and similar to a crow in size. While they both tend to hang out around open water eagles soar/circle while ospreys hover then dive in to grab their prey. Eagles swoop in and pluck it off the surface, they're not built for diving. We have a mating pair of ospreys at our little local lake...it's pretty cool to watch them in action. We also had an eagle there this summer which I thought was a little weird, they usually go north where it's cooler. I guess if they can find food and a mate it's all good.
    The Sheriff is near!

Do you have Ravens in NY? Bald Eagles are growing in numbers in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Balds & goldens have a 6'+ wingspan, they are not a "large crow". That line up with what you saw?
    Like Garth said, balds are pretty distinguishable, and they are usually accompanied with "America" by Waylon Jennings playing off in the distance.
    We saw a golden doing laps over the Black Canyon of the Gunnison this July - nature stoke level was high!
    Golden eagles are beyond huge
    We almost ran into one a couple yrs ago driving between SLC and JH. There was some roadkill on the side of the highway and a golden came down to land on it right as we passed by and I swear just missed it's feathers
    I was driving and andrew was in the passenger seat. he said he locked eyes with it for a split second...... bwong!
    skid luxury

It may be hard to judge from a distance but even the biggest crow is dwarfed by a mature eagle. It's not even close.
    The Sheriff is near!

Goldens are spectacular! Check this out:

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL!! I can assure you that the American crows you see where you live are not any bigger than crows anywhere else in the US. Maybe you have Ravens which are bigger but given the fact that you couldn't tell a crow from an American Bald Eagle tells me you don't know birds (no offense intended).

Sheesh, ravens, crows, tomatoes, tomahtoes. Semantics. Big, noisy, nasty black birds.

Ospreys are water birds. This was far inland.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Do you have Ravens in NY? Bald Eagles are growing in numbers in NY.
    Yes, and a lot of buzzards.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I want that silk screened on the back of my ski jacket.

Not to go all Marlin Perkins on you but ospreys don't look anything like bald eagles. They're brown/white as opposed to black/white and similar to a crow in size. While they both tend to hang out around open water eagles soar/circle while ospreys hover then dive in to grab their prey. Eagles swoop in and pluck it off the surface, they're not built for diving. We have a mating pair of ospreys at our little local lake...it's pretty cool to watch them in action. We also had an eagle there this summer which I thought was a little weird, they usually go north where it's cooler. I guess if they can find food and a mate it's all good.
    I was giving Benny other possible options of white/brown agile birds in NY. He has bad eyesight and is not sure what he saw
    To you and I they dont look anything alike but to non birders they can
    Trying to help ID vs being a know it all
    skid luxury

Eagles always hold their fish across their bodies, Ospreys carry their fish inline, usually head first

A few eagles on the Nooksack river

Name:  eagles.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  478.1 KB

Ravens get pretty big. Last winter I saw a Bald Eagle and a Raven fighting over roadkill near my house. The Raven held his own.

What you saw were almost certainly bald eagles...they have been slowly making a comeback across the east coast...ever since DDT was banned. There are now bald eagles from Florida up to Maine and throughout much of Appalachia. It's damn hard for me to imagine bald eagles in Florida...but they're there - mating pairs.

But damn...you must have HUGE crows to at first think a bald eagle was a "large crow".

The markings of a mature bald eagle are pretty unique.

Sheesh, ravens, crows, tomatoes, tomahtoes. Semantics. Big, noisy, nasty black birds.

I ❤ all Corvids