Mounting point for a park ski, not for park, help?

I'm taking an Atomic Punx 7 to PyeongChang for a work ski, and I need to understand where to mount these guys.
    Me 40+ 5'10 200lbs, strong skier.
    For powder I ski an Atomic 117 on the line. For hard snow groomers I have an Atomic Vantage 90 on the line.
    Touring Automatic 117 with Beast, light touring Automatic 109 with dynafits.
    Have enjoyed BentChelters and before my Atomic days I skied 4frnt with first 3-4 years of EHPs.

When I look a these park/pipe skis the "line" is dead center mount. Other marked options show -1 and -2. How far back do I need to mount these to make them a skiable groomer carver, and a work ski to navigate through pack track and snowmaking whales.

Any advice on where to mount?

Mounting point for a park ski, not for park, help?

I’m -3cm from recommended on my 4frnt switchblades which I think called for Rec at -1 from center. This ski has no rocker and is not symmetrical. I like them here and it made a very noticeable difference from my first mount at -1 from rec, which felt like I could go over the bars real easy. I’m shorter than you but similar weight
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-16-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Don't have direct experience with the Punx, but I have Armada AR7's and mounted STH2 bindings with inserts at -3cm and -5cm from center (AR7 all-mountain line is -5cm). I'm way smaller than you, 150lbs, usually ski moguls with these. Out of the park they basically feel the same to me, but the AR7 is a little different than Punx. The sidecut isn't symmetric and it is full camber so it has more tail.

But if you're not going to ski park, no reason to mount at center. How far back you go I don't know, but I'd guess -3cm would be as far forward as you would want to go. If you're mounting yourself, I did test mounts on 2x4 to put my forward most mount at the front of the heel track so if I wanted to go further back I only needed to remount the toe piece. STH and Axial bindings have over 25mm adjustment in the heel. I'm sure others are similar.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Depends on where the line is. Twins often (used to?) have a midsole mark at about -5cm, so going -2cm from that makes them a lot better for all-mountaining. Measure twice and drill once.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Depends on where the line is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    When I look a these park/pipe skis the "line" is dead center mount. Other marked options show -1 and -2.

Seems like a good question for newschoolers. If its was me I probably wouldn't go much farther than -4 from center since its a twin and the ski was meant to be center mounted. I have no data to back this claim up... I don't buy twins.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    IMO, -3 is probably as far back as you want to go with a true twin, or the ski will feel unbalanced pretty quickly.

Since they have the same rocker fore and aft, I would look at where BOF/CRS lands you. It will likely be too far back because of the symmetric sidecut, but since you don't have a huge foot it shouldn't be too far out of whack. It will at least give you an idea of where a more traditional mount would land you, and you can compromise from there.

I know you're a pivot guy, but this sounds like a job for a griffon/jester schizo. You could mount at -3 and have room to futz around from there. But then you're buying another binding for a ski you're not bringing home.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I know you're a pivot guy, but this sounds like a job for a griffon/jester schizo. You could mount at -3 and have room to futz around from there. But then you're buying another binding for a ski you're not bringing home.
    They came with a STH2. I think I'm gonna go -3 and put the heel track 10-12mm forward and have my boot all the way back in the track.
    That way a small footed Korean can go forward 30mm in the future for their boot.

If the recommended line is actually true center, then I bet -2 or -3 would be good.

They should be pretty fun the bumps, but you'll have to get more centered on groomers and expect to slarve more than carve. Fortunately, you're coming from pretty progressive mounted skis, not a traditional Blizzard or Volkl.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

-3 from true center would suck ass in bumps.

Anyway. I heard they make these things called tape measures. What'll they think of next!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Went for a -2 . I pushed the heel holes +1.4 forward.
    This put me all the way back in the heel track (3 clicks from stop).

Curious why did you chose a park ski to work the race course
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Curious why did you chose a park ski to work the race course
    I'm working at the Freestyle/Snowboard venue in PyeongChang. As you may have picked up from some of my posts most of my work is with Alpine Racing, but the last 3 years (along with my other contracts) I've been working with the Olympic Committee on Snowboard Freestyle (along with Alpine). This winter I will solely be at the FS/SB venue.
    These park skis should hold a strong resale value in Korea. Atomic Punx 7 and Sth2 16's retail in Korea around $999 to $1099. Everything is about =%25 - %30 above N.A. retail prices.

You were withholding details... not cool. Knowing what I know now I say mount them at +3.5, for the switch tricks.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'm working at the Freestyle/Snowboard venue in PyeongChang. As you may have picked up from some of my posts most of my work is with Alpine Racing, but the last 3 years (along with my other contracts) I've been working with the Olympic Committee on Snowboard Freestyle (along with Alpine). This winter I will solely be at the FS/SB venue.
    These park skis should hold a strong resale value in Korea. Atomic Punx 7 and Sth2 16's retail in Korea around $999 to $1099. Everything is about =%25 - %30 above N.A. retail prices.
    Yeah I had you pegged as a whistler weasel, not that it matters much what you got on yer feet cuz you are working not skiing so what ski is good for skiing without poles, skiing with a B-net or a roll of snow fence on yer shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yeah I had you pegged as a whistler weasel, not that it matters much what you got on yer feet cuz you are working not skiing so what ski is good for skiing without poles, skiing with a B-net or a roll of snow fence on yer shoulder
    I have mad respect for the course crew guys and gals, but my job is way further up the line than that.

You must be one of those we would see skiing by once a day with god ... the FIS official