Communication in the Backcountry

Solid little article from Fatmap discussing the importance of communication in the backcountry. While my crew is great about listening the the one dissenting voice and backing off of things, I like his idea of having go-to, must listen phrases that leave no room for argument and can help force discussions, especially when touring with new partners.

Do you all have systems in place? Phrases? Or more gut-feeling, play it by ear type stuff?

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 1.27.39 PM.png
Views: 816
Size:  62.8 KB

I've successfully deployed "I do not like this, this is not fun" when whumphing and shooting cracks made me nervous about terrain. Not mentioned in the article because they're not selling radios, but the communication issue is why I've started carrying radios on just about every backcountry trip. It makes a big difference to be able to ski to a safe zone and relay back to your partner what you saw in terms of snow pack, stability, etc. at a conversational tone rather than being restricted to yelling "Bad!" or "Good!"

I've always like the, "Give me 5 reasons why you think this is safe/good idea?"
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I really like using the Avaluator during trip planning. I also carry the card with me and use it throughout the day. It’s not a crystal ball that gives all the answers, but having a quantifiable decision making approach helps minimize emotion and enables conversation.

My primary touring partner is my wife, and that also helps... Was it Bruce Tremper who said groups with women are 90% less likely to be in an accident?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I really like using the Avaluator during trip planning. I also carry the card with me and use it throughout the day. It’s not a crystal ball that gives all the answers, but having a quantifiable decision making approach helps minimize emotion and enables conversation.

My primary touring partner is my wife, and that also helps... Was it Bruce Tremper who said groups with women are 90% less likely to be in an accident?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not sure if Tremper mentions it too, but they have definitely done studies that have shown women to experience far fewer incidents than men. Never seen an Avaluator before, but neat little pocket guide!

We starting rocking radios a few years back in my group and nothing but positive change has come from it, clearer, more concise and more regular communication.

I do not know if intuition is a sixth sense, or just an accumulation of experience. I don't care either way. if a partner is uncomfortable with anything we all pay attention and will back off if one person does not like it. I'm old and have many days with most partners, this helps to develop trust in their judgement. We have carried radios for over a decade, and are very happy a few times a year that we do. Forgetting your radio is like forgetting your beacon, you can still go ski, but not what you planned to. Den

I like all of these posts. So important to drink a beer with partners at the end of the day in the parking lot. Less important to push it in uncertain conditions with high consequences. Live to fish another day.