Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The sled ride

The sled ride

It’s fucked up.

If you’ve crashed and need our help it’s not going to be fun. It’s going to be scary. It will hurt. We will go really fast and you will not like it. You’ll be wrapped up in a tarp on a piece of fiberglass going 40 bouncing around. It’s loud. If your face is out you’ll get pummeled by the snow so just let me wrap you up.

But it’s usually no big deal. We want to get you down the hill and on your way home with your friends and family. If you’re really fucked up you might get to meet the guys in the bus or the folks in the helicopter. You’ll like them. They have drugs.

I said it’s no fun but I try to make it fun. If I can make you laugh you’re not as scared. You’ll relax and feel better. You’ll be more ready for the next step with the paramedics and ER monkeys.

Remember: We’re not happy until you’re not happy.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Free Heli. Who could complain.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

It ain’t free
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Maybe not in freedom laden Murica (fuck ya), the land of wax ring plumbing permits, net- not so-neutrality, and MTB prohibitions .... but canuckistani heli evacs cost about as much the toboggan rides.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I had one of those sled rides in 2001. Shitty binding failure[fuck you Rottefella] veered into a tree at 25-30 mph and crushed my right arm. Patroller was great and worked carefully to get my into the sled with the help of my friend who was there. Said he had good news and bad news what did I want first. I said give me the bad. His reply was that the sled ride was going to suck and there was nothing he could do for the pain. Good news was the clinic staffed with surgeons from Fletcher Allen Hospital who would needle me up quick.
    Sled ride sucked, crazy fast carnival ride . Could feel every chunk of snow and ripple through the thin fiberglass. Mummy wrapped so no vision, but know the mountain well enough to be able to sense where I was and how far to go.
    Hate needles but was happy to see the one I got.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I dislocated my shoulder years ago. They put me in the sled sitting up so my arm could rest on the blankets on my lap. Doing that ride sitting up was definitely scary. (When the patroller arrived I apologized for the trouble. He said--"You're not screaming and you're not bleeding, so it's ok. I still remember the guy--Casey Jones at Alpine Meadows. That was about 30 years ago. As of last season he was still working there and he didn't look young when he hauled me down.)

My wife broke both wrists a few years ago. Patroller tightened the straps right across them. She was not pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I dislocated my shoulder years ago. They put me in the sled sitting up so my arm could rest on the blankets on my lap. Doing that ride sitting up was definitely scary. (When the patroller arrived I apologized for the trouble. He said--"You're not screaming and you're not bleeding, so it's ok. I still remember the guy--Casey Jones at Alpine Meadows. That was about 30 years ago. As of last season he was still working there and he didn't look young when he hauled me down.)

My wife broke both wrists a few years ago. Patroller tightened the straps right across them. She was not pleased.
    At what point is it easier, quicker and less painful to just slowly ski your way down to the patrol shack instead of waiting around in the snow for the blood bucket ride? Obviously, lower body injury where you CANNOT weight a leg is different, but a popped out shoulder/non displaced arm fracture etc... i cannot imaging that the blood bucket would be a more comfortable ride, or get me to a morphine shot quicker than my own two legs skiing as smooth as possible.

FWIW i have never had to call patrol on the hill, but have dislocated my shoulder (a couple times), and fractured my fibular plateau (oddly a really mellow injury). I just relied on the adrenaline, and really smooth/slow skiing to get me back to my car and on to a hospital/clinic. I get scared shitless when i cannot control my own safety in those kinda situations... also, seeing this video didnt help my fear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRXj4TeGf4

In March 2014 I took a long uncontrolled slide into a tree and nearly killed myself, like I should be dead. I called my buddies and sometime later they arrive more scared than me because they had to ski down the ridge on 45 degree bullet proof. I had a flail chest and pneumothorax, was spitting pink frothy blood. I crawled into the toboggan, I had to lay on my left side just so I could breathe and not pass out. They threw some of those thick wool blankets over me and strapped me down as best they could. They set up two anchors to belay me down this gully to get back to the piste. Half way down they ran out of rope and had to take the sled off belay to set new anchors. I'm a big guy, like 6'5" 240 at the time and the two patrollers on the handles and chain break, Josh and Aiden, were holding me and very slightly creeping downhill. They are yelling at Erin and Tess to hurry because they're losing their edges. They get me back on belay and we finally get down to the top of the piste. Now we only have 1700' vf left to the aid room and waiting ambulance. The fastest way was down what had just been used for an FIS GS course and it hadn't been groomed because of the hard freeze so it still had the rut and ice and was rock hard after they injected the course. It was an extremely rough ride and I was covered with shave ice by the time I got to the aid room. They helped me stand and I walked into the aid room to warm and get some morphine(didn't do anything for the pain) before the ride to town.

I love those guys. The use my accident in training now for an example of high angle rescue.

Had one sled ride after a double tib fracture

After self rescuing by dragging my body down an icy mogul field for 100 vert, the sled ride was like a velvet lined limousine floating on a cloud.
    The bone crunchy transition to the ambulance was not fun as my natural pain killers were worn off by then.

Thanks to all the patrollers. The fresh pow barely makes up for the carnage and trauma you deal with.
    . . .

Had a toboggan ride from crashing into a snowmaking tower and fucking up both knees. I didn't anticipate how much snow would be flying in my face. It was like the patroller had twin tips. He also warned me he had to pick up a bunch of speed to get to the clinic (at Sugarbush) and it was loud as fuck. The patrollers were incredibly professional and caring.

The part that got me is when they slammed the back door to my F-i-L's SUV right into my ski boots (he drove me to Fletcher Allen vs getting an ambulance). I remember that pissing me right off.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Maybe not in freedom laden Murica (fuck ya), the land of wax ring plumbing permits, net- not so-neutrality, and MTB prohibitions .... but canuckistani heli evacs cost about as much the toboggan rides.
    In BC the provincial emergency program or PEP pays for it and so if SAR attends can take care of it even if you self rescue
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I remember thinking, "these are the last face shots I'm gonna get for a long time, might as well enjoy them"...which I kinda did in a perverse sort of way. Still so grateful for that sled ride, no question I would have done way more damage to my knee gimping down that day.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I had one of those sled rides in 2001. Shitty binding failure[fuck you Rottefella] veered into a tree at 25-30 mph and crushed my right arm. Patroller was great and worked carefully to get my into the sled with the help of my friend who was there. Said he had good news and bad news what did I want first. I said give me the bad. His reply was that the sled ride was going to suck and there was nothing he could do for the pain. Good news was the clinic staffed with surgeons from Fletcher Allen Hospital who would needle me up quick.
    Sled ride sucked, crazy fast carnival ride . Could feel every chunk of snow and ripple through the thin fiberglass. Mummy wrapped so no vision, but know the mountain well enough to be able to sense where I was and how far to go.
    Hate needles but was happy to see the one I got.
    What happened with the rotty? I rode those for a long time. Cracked the binder plate on the toe was my only failure. It held me in, well it had pins also. I was always a fan of pin/cable combo. Never fall out. BC was an issue tho.

The sled ride

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    In BC the provincial emergency program or PEP pays for it and so if SAR attends can take care of it even if you self rescue
    Does the BC ambulance service not have a 412 or similar bird in the north out of PG? But ya, anything other than BCAS is covered under EMBC funding. BCAS (along with parks, fire dept, military, the coroner service and the RCMP) are one of the agencies that can directly request assistance of EMBC.

Edit: looks like there are contracted Sikorsky S76 based in Rupert, but I thought there was something based in PG as well?

had one sled ride from the top of Breck 15 years ago. Spiral fracture of tib fib. Fuck that ride hurt.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    What happened with the rotty? I rode those for a long time. Cracked the binder plate on the toe was my only failure. It held me in, well it had pins also. I was always a fan of pin/cable combo. Never fall out. BC was an issue tho.
    Chili cable failure at the crimp.
    Hit the tree with my arm against my side and right quad. Saw the light, stars and everything fade out. Came to when I hit the ground.
    6" to the right and my face would have met that birch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Chili cable failure at the crimp.
    Hit the tree with my arm against my side and right quad. Saw the light, stars and everything fade out. Came to when I hit the ground.
    6" to the right and my face would have met that birch.
    Fuck! Scary shit. Glad that wasn't worse than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Does the BC ambulance service not have a 412 or similar bird in the north out of PG? But ya, anything other than BCAS is covered under EMBC funding. BCAS (along with parks, fire dept, military, the coroner service and the RCMP) are one of the agencies that can directly request assistance of EMBC.

Edit: looks like there are contracted Sikorsky S76 based in Rupert, but I thought there was something based in PG as well?
    I've seen the air ambulance when I was paddling out in Hartley bay come to pick up a sick elder, I think it was some kind of heli-jet there are lots of little communities out there with lots of FN elders

I think PEP will cover an emergency chopper bill from any outfit, sometimes sooner sometimes later, I know that if a SAR rep shows up they will offer to take care of it and thats the last you will hear about a bill

but I've also heard of the bill getting tossed back and forth for months
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I had a flail chest and pneumothorax, was spitting pink frothy blood.

I love those guys. .
    Pain doesn't get much worse then that. I think being rescued always creates some sort of bond for the patient. understandably.

I had a ride. Second season at stevens pass. Pretty unremarkable, except for the patroller, Clay. Seen him many times after, on hill and off. Would buy him a PBR whenever I seen him in Leavenworth. Attend his winter solstice parties.. pet his gimpy avi dog.

Special part of the pass that is sorely missed.

No way in hell I'm clicking a link to a video in this thread.

Reading this reminds me of all the times I thought "wow, if I come out of my binding right now I might die".

Never thought I might die if the patroller looses the sled!

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    No way in hell I'm clicking a link to a video in this thread.
    Haha!

Good call...that was loony!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Last year me and Norseman watched a team of patrollers attempt to sled ride a victim up the T-bar at Hurricane Ridge. Dudes placed sled between patrollers who were each on their own T, with a couple others placed in front and behind. Went ok at first but when they got to the steepest section, dude in front lost grip, sled began to swing down hill, other dude lost grip and that sled was free. It hit a bump, rolled and occupant face ground as trailing patrollers were desperately trying to tackle runaway toboggan. Luckily dude seemed ok just a bit more shaken and stirred. They finished the ‘rescue’ by getting him down to a motorized sled that took him away to safety.
    Hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    In March 2014 I took a long uncontrolled slide into a tree and nearly killed myself, like I should be dead. I called my buddies and sometime later they arrive more scared than me because they had to ski down the ridge on 45 degree bullet proof. I had a flail chest and pneumothorax, was spitting pink frothy blood. I crawled into the toboggan, I had to lay on my left side just so I could breathe and not pass out. They threw some of those thick wool blankets over me and strapped me down as best they could. They set up two anchors to belay me down this gully to get back to the piste. Half way down they ran out of rope and had to take the sled off belay to set new anchors. I'm a big guy, like 6'5" 240 at the time and the two patrollers on the handles and chain break, Josh and Aiden, were holding me and very slightly creeping downhill. They are yelling at Erin and Tess to hurry because they're losing their edges. They get me back on belay and we finally get down to the top of the piste. Now we only have 1700' vf left to the aid room and waiting ambulance. The fastest way was down what had just been used for an FIS GS course and it hadn't been groomed because of the hard freeze so it still had the rut and ice and was rock hard after they injected the course. It was an extremely rough ride and I was covered with shave ice by the time I got to the aid room. They helped me stand and I walked into the aid room to warm and get some morphine(didn't do anything for the pain) before the ride to town.

I love those guys. The use my accident in training now for an example of high angle rescue.

Hey everybody. Aaron here^^ wins. Just FYI. Don't even bother.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp