Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Also being aware of avy conditions instead of asking "when can we ski gnarly terrain" will go a long way with building trust. If you want to sound like a resort skier, just keep asking guides when you can ski some gnarly stuff. LOL, one guide told me someone wanted a guarantee months in advance that if they booked a backcountry ski trip they would be able ski "gnarly terrain." The guide told them to book elsewhere.
    Far as I'm concerned with Cat Skiing, as long as the snow is good and I'm in a group that can ski non-stop all day without people falling or flailing, I'd be happy. Obviously I don't want to ski 20° clearcuts all day, but give me some 30-35° glades with pillows and powder, and I'll be plenty amused.

Me too. Most places in Canada have really fun glades for high avy conditions. They also know the areas without the weak layers so you don't end up skiing 20 degree meadows.

For me any time I go into the Backcountry the group matters most. All my inner BC experience comes from touring but many of the people I toured with (including guides) have done cat/heli skiing. All have said the groups are better when you earn your turns. Quite a few guides described heli/cat skiing customers as "pushy.". Something to keep in mind.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    K3 looks rad and affordable. I'd do 3 days in January or February if this drought keeps up in the PNW...

In !

K3 looks rad and affordable. I'd do 3 days in January or February if this drought keeps up in the PNW...
    That sounds like a good time. I'd be down for such an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    That sounds like a good time. I'd be down for such an adventure.
    I figured.

K3 terrain from the 1:45 mark and on. Fun north facing zone. This is from mid april.

Last december up there, super deep:

They get a ton of snow, shuswap lake is immediately below/adjacent. Easy access right off the hwy.

EDIT.... what happened to the embed???? vimeo no worky
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    K3 terrain from the 1:45 mark and on. Fun north facing zone. This is from mid april.

Last december up there, super deep:

They get a ton of snow, shuswap lake is immediately below/adjacent. Easy access right off the hwy.

EDIT.... what happened to the embed???? vimeo no worky
    just post a link or something.

Obviously filling the cat is the way to go. But that usually entails booking a year or more, in advance with no idea what conditions will be.

I like taking just one friend.
    Book Southwest into Spokane in January and rent a mini van. If conditions don’t look promising, cancel without penalty.

If it’s good, Ski the Powder Hwy and surf the web for open seats at cat/ heli ops.

Multi day ops tend to have better clients and I’d add Baldface to your list, but I’ve had fun at most places.

Out of places recommended so far, I would just go to the one that can accommodate your booking.... getting the seats you want in the week you want, this late in the Season is going to be the biggest challenge. Most of these ops are 75%+ booked by September.

If you have an extra seat you want fill cheap, pm me
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Out of places recommended so far, I would just go to the one that can accommodate your booking.... getting the seats you want in the week you want, this late in the Season is going to be the biggest challenge. Most of these ops are 75%+ booked by September.

If you have an extra seat you want fill cheap, pm me
    "Turned 38 a few weeks back, which got me to thinking about my 40th before too long. Tentatively planning to head up to BC / Canada and go cat skiing with a group of guys for several days, and I know many ops book up well in advance, which is why I'm thinking about this now. "

2 years of planning he should be good
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

If you have an extra seat you want fill cheap, pm me x2

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

"Turned 38 a few weeks back, which got me to thinking about my 40th before too long. Tentatively planning to head up to BC / Canada and go cat skiing with a group of guys for several days, and I know many ops book up well in advance, which is why I'm thinking about this now. "

yeah I just saw that. Anybody want to go cat skiing THIS year?

I said I did but the open dates are far and few between for K3. I like their business model though as well as their prices. Maybe a small crew of us can roll up and top off a cat that's not full of dentists named Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Oh, definitely planning to fly.
    Look at this then

http://biglines.com/locations/escape...na-cat-skiing/

http://biglines.com/categories/catsk...w-northern-bc/

They're a younger operation so it's easier to get spots (ie what you said about other spots getting filled up)

Your Jan-Feb dates are prime spots but even so Skeena Cat will fit you. They also run in a way so that your group of 6 can run as a private group. Ie your group would get a cat to yourself. You'd have to book and arrange that in advance though.

The flight from Tahoe to Vancouver then Vancouver to Smithers is a bit of PITA but you would have to DRIVE from Vancouver or where-ever you flew into then to the BC interior for the cat lodge. Flight from YVR to Smithers is 2 hours (including checkin etc). Once you get to Smithers you get picked up from airport. So you wouldn't need a car once you get to Smithers. Contrast that with going to the interior where you would need a car.

Or you can fly in to Terrace and get picked up. In which case you get to ski at Shames - and there's been lots written about Shames epic pow.

Door to door from Tahoe to the Northern BC cat op vs door to door from Tahoe to an Interior BC cat op I think it's a wash. Then less logistics going to the North.

There is Skeena cat ski up here in the narth west

I havent been but I think maybe Lee Lau has

I know L hutz has

come to think of it they are both ambulance chasers eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I said I did but the open dates are far and few between for K3. I like their business model though as well as their prices. Maybe a small crew of us can roll up and top off a cat that's not full of dentists named Jerry.
    Count me in!

"Should I even be here?" -cali guy

This is what some nice guy asked me during a day skiing with K3. He was pretty bad, the guides had to hold his hand. but ya know what? he always made it down before the cat did. The tail guide skied with him all day; we weren't regrouping mid line. I don't think he really slowed the group up, or even limited us on terrain. It was early season so there was lots of brush and small trees yet to be covered that he struggled with. The guide told him practice at the resort more before coming back. He wasn't back the next day. Nice guy, hope he does come back.

If you're looking for something similar to K3, check out Valhalla powder cats.

Question for the k3 crowd:

So, how many runs/vert do you get on a typical day? How long are the runs? Is it common to have to wait for the cat to pick you up?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Obviously filling the cat is the way to go. But that usually entails booking a year or more, in advance with no idea what conditions will be.

I like taking just one friend.
    Book Southwest into Spokane in January and rent a mini van. If conditions don’t look promising, cancel without penalty.

If it’s good, Ski the Powder Hwy and surf the web for open seats at cat/ heli ops.

Multi day ops tend to have better clients and I’d add Baldface to your list, but I’ve had fun at most places.
    This sounds more like a plan I'd be up for this season... my 40th thing is going to definitely include more people and be a bit more festive.

Fuck yeah. You know, strictly for research purposes. :-)

Thanks for the stoke and suggestions everyone. Sol and K3 both look pretty sweet and I may check them out *before* I turn 40. I'm normally 100% up for earning my turns but for this outing I probably don't want to exclude some good friends that might be on the fence about that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Fuck yeah. You know, strictly for research purposes. :-)

Thanks for the stoke and suggestions everyone. Sol and K3 both look pretty sweet and I may check them out *before* I turn 40. I'm normally 100% up for earning my turns but for this outing I probably don't want to exclude some good friends that might be on the fence about that sort of thing.
    When the time comes and it's looking like your short a few spots, as you can tell there are a few of us around these parts that would possibly fill those gaps. We're not dentists either.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    When the time comes and it's looking like your short a few spots, as you can tell there are a few of us around these parts that would possibly fill those gaps. We're not dentists either.
    Word. Put me on the short list for that too. We won't slow you down. Trust me.

Fairy Meadows Hut.

^^^ If this, I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Fairy Meadows Hut.

^^^ If this, I'm in.
    Haha, well this is all preliminary but yes you’re invited of course.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Reading comprehension has never been my strong point.

Monashee Pow and K3 get my votes.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto