PNW/Interior BC early April?

Hoping to get a trip going with a teacher buddy in Seattle, but his only week off after New Years is the second week of April... had thought of checking out Baker for the first time then going interior and kind of running between Nelson & Revi depending on temps and snow. Lee gave me some good tips already but thought I'd crowd-source further here... any of those Powder Highways hills higher than others or better that late in the season? And any huts you can book more last-minute in that area if they have good snow?

M'thanks to you...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Some of my best touring and sled ski days are in mid to late april in the monashees. Longer days, lots of sun and it seems like big dumps followed by good vis. This would be close to revy resort
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Mid-April tends to either be big dumps or sunshine, not much in between. If it's sunny, you can often find cold old powder on the north faces and corn on the southerly. No crowds at the resorts either. Be aware many of the hills at that point have switched to weekend only operations. Personally it's a great time to ski out here..

WW, Red and others usually close the 1st or 2nd weekend of April. Conditions can be epic - in either direction. Have had amazing late season dumps, but have also seen everything melted out. Higher will be a better gamble.

Revy should be awesome hill riding late season. Touring in the area can be hit and miss late season depending on pineapple express timing.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

One of my most memorable long weekends was a trip to Keith's Hut in mid-April. Ripping the entire length of the Anniversary Glacier in 10 cm of fresh snow under bluebird skies was a rare backcountry treat. Not necessarily right on your planned route, but worth looking into.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

It’s been a strange year to predict so far but 8 of the last 9 yrs I’ve been in revelstoke it has been pow with zero line ups for the last 2-4 weeks. Last year for the last 2 weeks we’d do a lap inbounds/lap out and then finish with an extended lap out to finish the day. Plenty of time and no rush with not many people. Depending where the weather happens. That could be kicking horse or lake Louise also

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Hoping to get a trip going with a teacher buddy in Seattle, but his only week off after New Years is the second week of April... had thought of checking out Baker for the first time then going interior and kind of running between Nelson & Revi depending on temps and snow. Lee gave me some good tips already but thought I'd crowd-source further here... any of those Powder Highways hills higher than others or better that late in the season? And any huts you can book more last-minute in that area if they have good snow?

M'thanks to you...
    Baker will probably have good snow early April. It’s always dumping there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We had an insane April last year here on the coast. May 3rd was my best day of the season for me.
    Year before i think i was biking full time by then. Its just so variable.

Just do it, you will have fun regardless of snow conditions.