Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Warning for Goode skis. They are a scam.

This is a follow-up to this thread.

After a lot of discussion David Goode accepted a return of the broken Kachinas mentioned in that thread but I had to pay the return cost as well as any taxes, customs and similar. Unfortunately, sending the skis from Europe to the US would cost me almost half of the initial price of the skis (if I was unfortunate and had ended up having to pay all taxes and customs). Therefore I postponed the return until I could find a cheaper way to do it. Such an opportunity appeared in June this summer when I was visiting California for work.

So, in the end of June I sent the skis using USPS parcel services that allowed me to track the package. When I got back home after visiting the post office I realised I forget to write the return number Goode had given me on the box. I immediately e-mailed David Goode and explained my mistake and included the tracking link so he could follow the package himself. I also used "Boomerang for Gmail" that allows one to verify that the message has been received and opened.

He got this e-mail, and opened it, the day before the package arrived. And then nothing. 2.5 weeks later I e-mail Goode again and reminded them about this case and included my account details. No reaction.

Two months later, I contacted them again. No response. A week later I contacted them through the chat on their website and a few days later I finally got a response: they have lost my package and don't know what happened to it although the tracking link clearly shows that they have received and signed it off. Anyway, they promise to look for the package and get back to me (this is end of September).

They never do and that is where I still am 2.5 months later. I have contacted them through their chat approximately once a week since then and every time I get the same answer "I will remind David Goode to get back to you [again]" but he refuses.

Their skies are not just of crappy quality, their whole operation is a fucking scam.

It probably won't do any goode but you can file an online complaint with the Utah Dept of Consumer Protection.
    https://consumerprotection.utah.gov/
    I wouldn't waste time explaining the issue with the screws pulling out. Just tell the them skis were returned for warranty repair or replacement, that the package was received and signed for, they have lost the skis, and are now refusing to communicate further. If the form allows show them your proof of delivery and show them the last few emails about the skis being missing and goode saying they'll get get back to you--show them how long this has been going on. Skip the ones about whose fault it is; you'll distract them from the issue of the missing skis and lack of response.

You had a goode almost 6 years with those skis. That's a long time in these parts. Did k2 replace the other skis the shop f'd the mount on?

Quote Originally Posted by la_grave View Post
    An update to this thread, same bindings and same shop but a new pair of skis. This time I had shop mount these FKS180 on a pair of K2 Shredditor 120 and they failed again: the distance between toe and heel piece is 7 mm greater on one of the skis. How is such a mistake even possible?

Furthermore, they don't even tell me about their mistake when I pick up the skis. It is not until I need to adjust (or possibly remount, but it is impossible - the holes would be too close for a symmetric mounting) the bindning for a new pair of boots I realise what they have done, and now the refuse to take responsibility for their mistake (they have offered to remount but they explicitly don't guarantee that it won't break).

The shop in question is Snow Legend in La Grave. Unsurprisingly I recommend anyone to avoid them for anything more complicated than buying socks.

(Is it possible to change the subject of this thread? I want to include the name Snow Legend in it.)

No, I had them for less than a week before they broke. However, due to the cost of returning them I waited a long time. It shouldn't matter anyway, it gave Goode Skis some free liquidity and interest (marginal of course, but still a positive thing for their cashflow).

The K2 skis case is still being handled by some EU consumer rights agency.

No, I had them for less than a week before they broke. However, due to the cost of returning them I waited a long time. It shouldn't matter anyway, it gave Goode Skis some free liquidity and interest (marginal of course, but still a positive thing for their cashflow).

The K2 skis case is still being handled by some EU consumer rights agency.
    So they agreed to fix the skis 5 years ago, but you never sent them and now you want them repaired? Did they agree to the wait 5 years ago? Goode may be crooks for all I know, but this is on you.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    So they agreed to fix the skis 5 years ago, but you never sent them and now you want them repaired? Did they agree to the wait 5 years ago? Goode may be crooks for all I know, but this is on you.
    If Goode was aware he was going to wait, and didn't object, then no, Goode needs to make it right.

And, IMO, lets get off the "well the technical legal status is..." schtick. If someone sold you broken stuff, you would feel they have a moral, if not legal, obligation to fix it. Just because someone finds a sneaky weasel way out doesn't make it less abhorrent.

And in this case, it's all a distraction anyway. They won't give ANY answer. Just - we'll get back to you, and then never do.

And, even if you have no moral compass and claim the company has no obligation to handle it via warranty - it's still obvious they are messed up and can't forthrightly reply and say "we aren't sure where your skis are - here's what we'll do." And if that alone is not enough to tell you should avoid doing business with Goode, without regard to ANY other details - well, I'm not sure you're able to be helped.

I thought in the other thread, every single person including yourself said the shop fucked up the mount, screws were too short? ( I started skimming through because it was so long )

And aren’t those carbon fiber ultralight skis meant for tech bindings? Not pivot 18s or whatever you put on them?

Morale of the story - ON3P or Praxis RX

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    They agreed to refund them. A refund must not depend on when I return the skis. But that is beside the point, they haven't argued that I took too long time to return them, they just told me that they lost the package and then went silent.

You had 2 pairs of fucked up skis?
    You must just be one of those unlucky types. And it's never your fault, just bad shit happens to you because of whatever weird circumstance. But it's never on you, right?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You had 2 pairs of fucked up skis?
    You must just be one of those unlucky types. And it's never your fault, just bad shit happens to you because of whatever weird circumstance. But it's never on you, right?
    I used to break a lot of skis (but then I broke my leg and now I don't ski at all) but that was usually because I hit a rock when I turned at high speed and cut down deep in the snow. More or less all skis I have broken (except the Goodes) have been broken the same way, the steel edge under the foot has been pulled out in a non-repairable way. Sometimes the skis have delaminated. There is a reason I have two pair of all types of skis, all in all some 8-10 pairs.

I would love to buy more robust skis. I think it is weird that 1.75 m and 1.95 m skis are built with the same strength, the skiers using these different lengths vary most likely a lot in weight, and heavier (as in more muscles) skiers usually ski faster. The force the skis must endure is linear to the weight of the skier but increases with ^2 relative to the speed. I wouldn't be surprised if my skis had to put up with twice the force of a lighter and slower skier. The construction should be adapted to that.

You sound like an amazing skier and a genius. You should build your own skis

now I don't ski at all
    So why are you still bitching about the skis your bad mount caused to break years ago?

I wouldn't be surprised if my skis had to put up with twice the force of a lighter and slower skier. The construction should be adapted to that.
    We focus mostly on the mediocre here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

subscribed to this important thread

This saga is retarded.

I know a guy that had that or something else happen to 5 pair of Goodes. He's a total weight weenie. That thing on the top sheet looks like a mounting plate of sorts but it's not, it's a buffer between the binding and the skis so they don't break/delam. The first time it happened to my buddy Goode claimed that the skis weren't designed for tech bindings and that was his fault. After some wrangling with the local shop, Goode agreed to replace the skis and have the shop mount them with longer screws. Everything was fine until the skis delaminated. I think he's had tech bindings pull out or have a ski break or delam on all pairs he's had. He's like 70 and skis like an old lady. I think the bottom line is that Goode makes great water skis but their snow skis suck, too fragile and too light.

What a fuckin tool bag. Geezus

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    What a fuckin tool bag. Geezus
    Yeah, he might be but Goode skis seem to fucking suck so it's a wash.

Buy European Skis. Close by, and an arguably better product

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

I heard Goode makes La Sportiva's skis. They're Italian, so you know, Roman Catholic, likes to wine, drink, doesn't work day and night, opinionated about anything, shares without shame...

I've heard about Goodes being not great, but you're also supposed to ski around the rocks.
    2 seasons at Moonlight, and while my Nordicas may have wound up with more base weld than sintered base, they never had anything happen to the edges or sidewalls. There were a few times I was amazed I didn't rip an edge out, and then I learned where a lot of the rocks were and also stopped being a beater.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

It is unreasonable to expect an RA# to be valid and honored 5+ years later.

Most skis are designed to be bent and carve a turn. If youre always skidding you'll tend to rip edges out when you hit rock.

Maybe learn to ski?

I used to break a lot of skis but that was usually because I hit a rock when I turned at high speed and cut down deep in the snow. More or less all skis I have broken have been broken the same way, the steel edge under the foot has been pulled out in a non-repairable way.
    When I worked in a ski shop we would determine the cost of the repair based on the direction of the core shot. If it was straight down the ski "12 to 6" it meant they were ripping over the rocks. If it the gouges were "3 to 9" it meant they were pussy footing and side slipping though the rocks, often pulling out edges. We would cheaply fix the rippers and charge more for the pussy footers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    When I worked in a ski shop we would determine the cost of the repair based on the direction of the core shot. If it was straight down the ski "12 to 6" it meant they were ripping over the rocks. If it the gouges were "3 to 9" it meant they were pussy footing and side slipping though the rocks, often pulling out edges. We would cheaply fix the rippers and charge more for the pussy footers.
    Awesome!

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Faith in humanity restored. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    You sound like an amazing skier and a genius. You should build your own skis
    That is slightly off topic, why don't you start your own thread for that discussion?