Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Insulated Hardshell Recommendations

I generally run cold and spend most of the winter doing a 14-minute lift ride followed by coaching a kids program on the way down... so lots of stopping, standing, etc. After many seasons, some seam-seal repair work, I'm thinking its time to retire my insulated Stoic Bombshell jacket.

I'm looking for a new insulated hardshell (or very weather-resistant softshell). I'm 5' 10", 160 lbs, but with a 6'1"ish wingspan and wide (but not bulky) shoulders to go with my ape arms.

Jacket must have:
    Pit zips
    Wrist gaiters
    A tall collar
    Long arms

Don't need a ton of pockets. I have a north face vest I wear when coaching that can stow as much as a backpack. Handwarmer pockets are always good though for when not wearing the vest and say, walking the dog.

I ordered a Strafe Highlands jacket in a medium from evo to try out and it is damn near close to what I am looking for. It is just a *touch* tight in the shoulders/arm when really reaching or stretching. I'd be swimming in a large though as the medium already has plenty of room in the torso.

So.. what else is out there? Or should I stick with the 98%-of-the-way-there Strafe and call it a day?

I have one of these I REALLY like...

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/men...or=364#start=0

I'm 6'-ish, 200#-ish, and I got the XL...which is very roomy on me. I can get fatter I guess. It does check the boxes for what you were looking for though.

Jacket must have:
    Pit zips
    Wrist gaiters
    A tall collar
    Long arms
    Gravity. It's the law.

That Strafe seems like a pretty sweet inbounds jacket, but if you don't really need a hardshell maybe check out the Norrona lofoten powershield pro alpha (https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...ha-jacket-men/). It replaced their insulated hardshell for this season--though maybe that means you'll be able to find their insulated hardshell on close out somewhere.

Arc'Teryx makes the Fissle, but it's $$$.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Freeride systems. Mag owned, USA made. #nuffsaid

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

#whichfuckingjacketonthatabominationofawebsiteisan insulatedhardshell?

I have the Strafe Exhibition Jacket and am liking it so far. Neoshell and Alpha is a good combo + it has pit zips which is super important to me. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs, fairly athletically shaped and wear a large.

alpha FL

I have the Alpha FL jacket - simplest goretex shell I could find. I'm 5'10" 165lbs and the medium is "slim", but I can just squeeze a down layer under it if I really need to. Arms are plenty long. Packability is fantastic and durability hasn't been an issue after two years of medium use.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I have the Strafe Exhibition Jacket and am liking it so far. Neoshell and Alpha is a good combo + it has pit zips which is super important to me. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs, fairly athletically shaped and wear a large.
    How much time do you have with it so far? Any gripes? I'm definitely not counting the Highlands out, since spec-wise it's a a hell of a jacket and it fits much better than most things I have tried in the past. Just curious what else might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

I really like the quality on the Freeride jackets and would absolutely consider buying one if they started making an insulated model. I already have a jacket or two that works for milder weather.

Quote Originally Posted by ccogg View Post
    I have the Alpha FL jacket - simplest goretex shell I could find. I'm 5'10" 165lbs and the medium is "slim", but I can just squeeze a down layer under it if I really need to. Arms are plenty long. Packability is fantastic and durability hasn't been an issue after two years of medium use.
    The minimalist un-insulated shell from arc'teryx? Not at all what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    How much time do you have with it so far? Any gripes? I'm definitely not counting the Highlands out, since spec-wise it's a a hell of a jacket and it fits much better than most things I have tried in the past. Just curious what else might be an option.
    2 days so far, no major gripes. Love that the pockets are nice and deep. You should try the large, it will probably fit better, and the kids will respect you more if your coat screams "freeride".

Compared to the bombshell (which I skied in for a season), this jacket isn't nearly as warm but breathes better, the materials are light years better, and the fit is better. I prefer slightly less warm because it allows more layering and means I won't become a steamed clam on any uphill jaunts.

2 days so far, no major gripes. Love that the pockets are nice and deep. You should try the large, it will probably fit better, and the kids will respect you more if your coat screams "freeride".

Compared to the bombshell (which I skied in for a season), this jacket isn't nearly as warm but breathes better, the materials are light years better, and the fit is better. I prefer slightly less warm because it allows more layering and means I won't become a steamed clam on any uphill jaunts.
    Think you could measure the torso width for me? I know they're slightly different jackets but best I can tell form pics/descriptions, they're cut basically the same.

Do you layer any differently since it's NeoShell and Alpha (super breathable)? I.e. Do you layer only with other very breathable midlayers? Is the Alpha super warm?

Check out Eddie Bauer offerings. I ski every day in mine. Cheap and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Check out Eddie Bauer offerings. I ski every day in mine. Cheap and quality.
    I was going to post this. I don't know about cheap but less expensive and the quality is as good as anything. I love everything of theirs I own. I like that you can get a lot of stuff in tall sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I was going to post this. I don't know about cheap but less expensive and the quality is as good as anything. I love everything of theirs I own. I like that you can get a lot of stuff in tall sizes.
    I was going to say the same thing. I picked up the Neoteric Insulated jacket for around $100 on clearance. Haven't used it yet, but seems like it will be pretty nice. I used to have a Bombshell, too, and like the EB jacket fit a bit better.

I generally like the Eddie Bauer stuff too (especially having a retail store walking distance from my house), but it seems like they don't have anything available at the moment that meets all (or even most) of my criteria. Wish they did though.

I generally like the Eddie Bauer stuff too (especially having a retail store walking distance from my house), but it seems like they don't have anything available at the moment that meets all (or even most) of my criteria. Wish they did though.
    I think pit zips are kinda overrated on a ski coat, just layer underneath accordingly. I can leave or take cuff gaiter. I'm really interested in the Storm Ops Parka. It looks like a ski coat that could last years and years. Really bummed they discontinued the Nail Driver pants.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I think pit zips are kinda overrated on a ski coat, just layer underneath accordingly. I can leave or take cuff gaiter. I'm really interested in the Storm Ops Parka. It looks like a ski coat that could last years and years. Really bummed they discontinued the Nail Driver pants.
    I think on an insulated shell it's nice to vent a little bit without having to unzip the front

Just a fyi you might want to give it a second look due to the half off sale that’s going on. Half off pretty much everything.

Edit - not sure what’s up but the code doesn’t seem to be working...website still advertising the promo however.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Just a fyi you might want to give it a second look due to the half off sale that’s going on. Half off pretty much everything.

Edit - not sure what’s up but the code doesn’t seem to be working...website still advertising the promo however.
    They changed to 40% off and the code is CANDLE. It will go back to 50-60% off the day after Xmas usually.

Yeah, I get the the Eddie Bauer stuff is all priced really well, but they don't have a jacket that has what I'm looking for. Strafe is still the front runner at the moment despite it not being "perfect."

I checked out Strafe's Exhibition: they say it has 60g of Alpha in it...seems reeeeally thin and more like just a shell. Seems like an awesome jacket - just don't know about the insulation. Seems pretty light.

fwiw the Highlands that I picked up is supposed to be 100g body/80g sleeves and it feels very comparable to my Stoic in terms of weight and warmth.

Patagonia Primo Down or Outdoor Research Stormbound. If you buy anything else you're a damn fool.

Strafe clothing is awesome if you want to deal with warranties every 3 days, and with them nickel and diming you for the warranty replacement. Fuck those people.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Patagonia Primo Down or Outdoor Research Stormbound. If you buy anything else you're a damn fool.

Strafe clothing is awesome if you want to deal with warranties every 3 days, and with them nickel and diming you for the warranty replacement. Fuck those people.
    I hadn't heard/read too much about warranty support from Strafe, other than seeing one highly positive comment somewhere (can't remember where). Care to elaborate?

I hadn't heard/read too much about warranty support from Strafe, other than seeing one highly positive comment somewhere (can't remember where). Care to elaborate?
    I bought some Strafe Temerity pants over the summer. I really liked them, but the first time I tried them on, one of the press studs on the waist popped off them.

I got a great deal on the pants and didn’t really want to return them, so I called and emailed Strafe a few times but never got a reply. I was hoping I could either send them back for repair, or they could send me what I needed to repair them myself. After getting Jon response, I eventually gave up and just returned them to Backcountry for a refund.

In Strafe’s defense, it was late summer / early fall when I was trying to contact them. Perhaps they’re not a year round operation. Still, it was a bummer not to be able to get the issue sorted out and keep that pants I wanted.