Jackson Over Xmas

Heading to Jackson for a few days over xmas with wife and two teenagers. Never skied Jackson before so we will spend a couple of days getting oriented with the mountain. If it's not nuking snow when we are there and we don't ski a day, what is the most beautiful way to spend the day at this time of year with the current conditions? Is there a hike/drive nearby? Where would you take your family or closest friends if late next week they came to visit you in Jackson for the first time? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I thought the elk refuge was interesting and worth a visit. Google it for info.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

with current low to non-existent snow in the valley, you can hike without having to worry about skis or snowshoes. If that remains the case (some snow in forecast, not sure how it will change), a drive out to grand teton national park (15 miles north of Jackson) & walk on the closed road north from taggart parking lot (3 miles in from park entrance) is quick, stunningly beautiful, cheap and easy. If it snows more, rent some xc skis or snowshoes and do the same thing. Flat, non-technical, you can focus on the views. You're on a paved road that goes for many miles, so you avoid the difficulties of navigating the sagebrush/creeks/logs that are now complicating valley xc-skiing with such low snow cover. Eat/drink/enjoy the view @ Dornan's in Moose when you're done.

if you're staying at the village you can drive a mile north and walk/ski the park road from there. Views aren't as wide open , but you might see more wildlife. (moose, elk. And some bears are definitely still awake)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I thought the elk refuge was interesting and worth a visit. Google it for info.
    Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    with current low to non-existent snow in the valley, you can hike without having to worry about skis or snowshoes. If that remains the case (some snow in forecast, not sure how it will change), a drive out to grand teton national park (15 miles north of Jackson) & walk on the closed road north from taggart parking lot (3 miles in from park entrance) is quick, stunningly beautiful, cheap and easy. If it snows more, rent some xc skis or snowshoes and do the same thing. Flat, non-technical, you can focus on the views. You're on a paved road that goes for many miles, so you avoid the difficulties of navigating the sagebrush/creeks/logs that are now complicating valley xc-skiing with such low snow cover. Eat/drink/enjoy the view @ Dornan's in Moose when you're done.

if you're staying at the village you can drive a mile north and walk/ski the park road from there. Views aren't as wide open , but you might see more wildlife. (moose, elk. And some bears are definitely still awake)
    What these guys said.
    Early start, breakfast at the Virginian, drive north, take the little spur to Kelly and look for mooses. If it's a clear day drive up to Signal Mountain Lodge for views of Jackson Lake and the Tetons. Lodge is closed but restrooms are open. Back to Taggart, go for that walk/ski/snowshoe. Either a quick stop or lunch at Dornan's. Or down to the National Museum of Wildlife Art, great little hidden restaurant there. Check the museum out then stop at the visitor center on the left and go on the Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride. [if over Christmas stop by there on the way up to score tickets for the afternoon].

Or drive over the pass and spend a day at Targhee...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Snowmobile through the park?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I had coworkers coming over for a ski/board trip last season and the mega storm hit so the village was out. Luckily, we had planned a snowmobile Yellowstone excursion. Look at the many package tours available, they are all worth it for a day trip from Jackson.

Except for booking a snowmo trip for four over Christmas is likely damn near impossible at this point. As is dogsledding.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Thanks, those are just the types of recommendations I was hoping to get. The photos of the area are so stunning, I can't wait to experience it firsthand.

If you walk the park road, take some good binocs. Aside from spotting wildlife, you'll be amazed at where people put ski tracks.

Forgot to ask, any recommendations for xmas eve and/or xmas day dinner? Will try to get reservations in the next day or two. Our family loves all types of food, looking for a good meal in a warm establishment. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Forgot to ask, any recommendations for xmas eve and/or xmas day dinner? Will try to get reservations in the next day or two. Our family loves all types of food, looking for a good meal in a warm establishment. Thanks
    Ya that would have been a great question two months ago. The most popular places are booked. I'd jump on OpenTable and grab what you can. Sleepers might be the White Buffalo Club or the Rendezvous Bistro.

Ha. Got it. This is a last minute trip so no big deal. Thanks

Ha. Got it. This is a last minute trip so no big deal. Thanks
    NBD? Seems like kind of a big deal.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't usually think most things are even on the big deal scale, but Christmas Fucking Dinner?

Have you found a warm establishment to stay in yet?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thanks for caring. Staying at the Marriott because there are three beds. Booked xmas dinner at Gather. If you have any recommendations, please share them as I can make a different reservation.

Thanks for caring. Staying at the Marriott because there are three beds. Booked xmas dinner at Gather. If you have any recommendations, please share them as I can make a different reservation.
    http://goodsamaritanmission.us/volunteer/
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Jackson’s a big hill. If you’ve never been, I’d hire a guide.
    They will take you to the best conditions, places you would never find and cut the rather large lines.

Jackson Over Xmas

Bagels at Pearl Street Bagels, (great coffee), or Persephone for pastries (with great coffee).
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Bagels at Pearl Street Bagels, (great coffee) ...
    But do they have a toaster?

I can't go there and not think of that.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bubbas BBQ

Godzilla nachos at the mangy moose
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    But do they have a toaster?
    don't forget to proceed thru line much like with the soup nazi. no distractions, no extra words, just order the bagel lol

OP- also have a sweet new bowling alley in town now in case the fam needs some non-ski activities
    has anyone mentioned snow king too? if you guys have a day where you maybe only want to ski for a couple of hours that's a good more inexpensive option and you can say you skied the steepest ski area in the US
    they also have snow tubing which is always a crowd pleaser
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Bubbas BBQ
    Moe's and Big Hole BBQ> Bubba's.
    Bubba's is still a good spot for breakfast though.
    Think about Teton Tiger for outstanding eats.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident