Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ideas for DIY removeable liner for car that will be packed with skis?

Hey just bought a 'new to me' car/SUV thing and I want to have the split 3 row be half up, and then the 60/40 second row be 60 up. This leaves a funky shaped flat area where I plan to put the skis for 2 adults and 3 kids, about 2 pairs each. Sometimes might be 3-5 adults.

The space is pretty flat. I want something like a weathertech mat that will hold the melting snow and is not rigid and easy to take out to clean and store. This is an odd shape and they dont make it. I was looking at material that comes on a rolls like neoprene rubber, that I could cut to the shape. Then I was going to caulk a bead of something around the edge to hold the liquid in there.

Just seeing if anyone has done something like this and what worked and what didn't.

I had thought of making a little rack so the skis are not all just laying on top of each other, but that seems like a lot of work.

I am looking for something easy that is just a step up from throwing a bunch of towels and crap underneath the skis.

I dont want to put the roof box on.

This pic is from the web but shows the space
    Name:  112_0603fs_09z-2007_audi_q7-interior_back_seats.jpg
Views: 2789
Size:  23.7 KB

I experimented with all sorts of stuff, but best was a ski bag
    I use a roller bag large enough, because it's stiff and it's easier to shove the skis in from the back.

Good luck

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Toss your shit in there and go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Toss your shit in there and go skiing.
    Your answer is here.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm in a similar situation w/ my car. I put two of these under the skis (one under the tips, one under the bindings). You could go wild and buy three and cover the whole area. On the drive back, they collect most of the melting snow.

Added bonus: You can pull them out in the snowy parking lot and put your boots on without getting wet. Honestly one of the better ski purchase / hacks I've bought. Originally had just one and my wife insisted on her own doormat for the parking lot. Now up to two.

Why not sew together a simple tarp to fit? You can reinforce the sides if you want some rigidity. Easy in/out/packable.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post

Haven't looked back.
    This. As the kids get older, they will need more room in the back. A ski box will last years and still have value. Keep an eye out on Craigslist if new is too much $$$.

As I got older, I’ve seen many good ideas. Getting snow off of your gear using brush on your ice scraper in your car. Takes most snow off. And like fj62 said, I bought a plastic boot tray at Wally mart for like $2 to use in parking lot when changing. Better than any method for almost nothing.

But I think I have no choice but to get a rooftop carrier soon because bunch of kids are in my life...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I use an army blanket and some old towels around the tips and tails. I've thought of something like you describe, I'm sure if someone made something like it, it would sell well. Or you could just go with this:

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    blue tarp is about as tech talk as this deserves
    That is what I was thinking. If it works for deer it will work for skis.

The answers is to get a box. Even with just me and my girl skiing she has all kinds of stuff she brings with her and anything of hers that gets wet results in unhappiness. Skis on the roof, boots in the far back on rubber liner. Get a small box for the least impact on fuel economy. We have a small box and a big one but we end up just using the big box most of the time because lazy.

It's probably a dentist mobile. I understand wanting to keep a new car clean and dry. Roof box is your best bet. Get a WeatherTech mat for the trunk area for boots and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post

I dont want to put the roof box on.
    Go fish.
    watch out for snakes

Had the same concern as I am an idiot with a leased car who is trying to keep the interior pristine as can be. The ski bag's a nice a option given I'm liable to scuff up the back of the front sear and the side door panels with ski edges. HD also sells a variety of garage floor matting by the square foot: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...s/N-5yc1vZboa8

Depending on how pliable it is, you could cut squares out of the corners, fold up the sides, and maybe staple gun them together so you'd have an edged tray essentially that would catch all the snow.

Another good related hack that has seemed to be a revelation to people is to take the rubber floor matt underneath the middle seat you're not using (if you have the mats) and keep that in the back for when you're taking your boots on and off. Do that for surfing and skiing and has seemed a miraculous piece of ingenuity to many.

These guys also sell a $27 garage matt for home mechanics that could work. They also seem to have a lead on golf courses where you can drive your F-150 almost onto the green, where there are also hot tubs in place of sand traps. So you may want to look into that...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Thanks. I have a roof box already. I am going from a Volvo V70 where the roof box was not too high, now I have a 2008 Audi Q7 that is pretty clapped out inside (it was pretty cheap) so I don't need to keep it pristine, and I really don't want a roof box. It will be really high up and I just really prefer not having that box on the roof, unless really necessary.
    I am going to put an old yoga mat in there and see how it goes. I see people with wood ski racks in the back of pickups in the parking lot and was thinking along those lines.
    I might get some of that vinyl carpet runner off the roll at HD next time I am there.
    Sometimes I wish I was a dentist. But most of the time I don't!

My dentist drives a Q7. Water will roll off the yoga mat. Get a blue tarp.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I was gona say find some roll end linoleum flooring
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

2 adults and 3 kids, about 2 pairs each. Sometimes might be 3-5 adults.
    Don't get in a wreck.

That's a lot of skis to be flying around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Put the kids in the roof box so you will have more room for your gear inside the car.

Try a walk off mat. They come in various sizes.

Thanks I will try not to. We are like 5 minutes from the hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Don't get in a wreck.

That's a lot of skis to be flying around.

i got you

hoover dam in a can!!

boom!

Quote Originally Posted by savemeasammy View Post
    Try a walk off mat. They come in various sizes.
    this, or ski bag

Went through similar process and, unable to find a 196-capable boot tray, we ended up with this type/size of blanket:
    https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1160...ductId=1611729

More padding than a tarp for both bindings and elbows, and does a surprisingly good job of keeping water in, and then shaking it out (fleece seems to hate water) once we get home.

Lay it down with the fleece side up, plunk down the skis and burrito it up. Keeps things from shifting all over, and becomes a big platform for poles, jackets, etc.

Have done this with up to 6 pairs in my wife's hygienist-level car -> maybe can get up to 10, but the real limit is that our bindings all fall in about the same spot.

That said, if anyone knows of a 196-capable boot tray, LMK.

Good luck OP!

Dirtbag option:

Baller Q7 owner option:

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.