First trip to Japan: NEED DIRTBAG INFO

Wife, brother-in-law and I are headed to japan Jan 16-30. This is more of a getting a feel for the area trip as we are planning to hit between 4 and 6 resorts. Specifically need info on:

* How to get ski gear over there - and - how to move it around when we get there

* Cool hills with sweet, varied, off-piste terrain. Doesn't have to be steep, just fun. Would like something with a decent amount of vert, and reasonable lodging, etc. Not as interested in the whole big resort scene (i.e. Nesiko)

* Should we spend time in Honshu or go straight to Hokaido?

* All other info that would be useful that I haven't thought of yet.

LT

I think we hit most spots big and small last year in hokkaido. Every resort sounds like what your are looking for. The small resorts had some of the best slack country skiing. Best advice is to bring a touring set up. Rent a van and you will be good to haul your gear everywhere. You will need to change your plans on occasion to chase the weather as it can vary significantly on the small island. Headed back in feb as well. so good. A quick search will yield websites dedicated to this topic.
    Last edited by roverdoc; 12-12-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    * All other info that would be useful that I haven't thought of yet.
    Have you had a single thought at all?

Ramen is good. Mail your skis early.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

LT -

I went to Hokkaido last season and I'm in the process of building our a helpful resource for people planning trips out there. Check it out:

https://snowsearch.co/explore/hokkaido/media

I personally pulled together this Niskeo budget trip guide which has a ton of good info -

https://snowsearch.co/article/BJg_LQ...162961786&z=14

You chose a sick season to go - combination of unreal early-season conditions there and shit ones here (if you're out West...)

Take a read through and drop me a note with any questions. Would love to share my two cents.

you can take buses from the airport to the resorts area and they got local buses to get to the hill,

just hump your gear around with you,

get yer money from the international ATM's 7-11 is good for this,

booking your accommodations ahead of time is IME a good thing cuz nobody spoke engrish

if you wana tour you will need a car

gear wise A beefy touring setup worked fine for both of us
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsearch View Post
    LT -

I went to Hokkaido last season and I'm in the process of building our a helpful resource for people planning trips out there. Check it out:

I personally pulled together this Niskeo budget trip guide which has a ton of good info -

You chose a sick season to go - combination of unreal early-season conditions there and shit ones here (if you're out West...)

Take a read through and drop me a note with any questions. Would love to share my two cents.
    Good start but you could do with a big edit

800" average - you should be working for the Tourism Board
    Kiroro info is way off and outdated. Duck ropes, get caught, goodbye

Book connecting flight with minimum amount of time and show up at airport with minimum time for boarding and hope they miss your bag loading on your flight. This will result in airline shipping your bag to your hotel the next day.

This happened to me when I went to NZ. I didn’t have to drag my bag in Auckland terminal and Christchurch city as I took city bus to a hostel. Bag showed up after I picked up my camper van the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Book connecting flight with minimum amount of time and show up at airport with minimum time for boarding and hope they miss your bag loading on your flight. This will result in airline shipping your bag to your hotel the next day.

This happened to me when I went to NZ. I didn’t have to drag my bag in Auckland terminal and Christchurch city as I took city bus to a hostel. Bag showed up after I picked up my camper van the next day.

Or use the "Black Cat" luggage service - seems strait forward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsearch View Post
    LT -

The spam is strong with this one.

How bout contributing a little instead of linking to your site in every post you make. JONG.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

did Japan 2 years ago for ~5 weeks in a van. There's some TRs of mine somewhere on the site...

Just haul your gear around. stick with the "less is more" mentality. Bring a portable boot dryer. (I used this)

Google translate is your friend. Saved my ass when we were trying to catch a ferry with our van from Hokkaido to Kyoto area.

Lots of good info on the internet and on here.
    This guide from evo (yea, I work here), is a pretty good overview: Japan skiing guide

I haven't skied on Honshu. I highly recommend renting a vehicle and planning to have some flexibility. Portable WiFi and Google translate, as mentioned above, are indeed lifesavers.

This topic has been beat to death on these boards .... plenty of good info via the search fucktion

Recommendations on place for best exchange rate, preferably sapporo/airport or the likes? Have not seen this question asked previously anywhere.

I used 711 ATMs and found that really convenient ... but yeah, the airport or post office and also large hotels will trade currency

subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

another question that I, as JONG, was unable to answer with the search function:
    Is there a avalanche bulletin for (parts of) Hokkaido? If so where to look at it (online? resorts?) Might there be even something english?

LeoK,

Great question. We probably won't be doing too much touring but will be ready for it should the need arise. I'm assuming that there will be cheap lodging just about anywhere?

Duno what everyone else does or did but ski bro & I booked 4 days and then were hoping to find more accomadation

but we found japan is like a foreign country and nobody speaks engrish so not sure how you gona book it or get around with no car

Fortunately we had a Japanese connection back home so we e-mail Mika back in Canada and she e-mails her uncle in Japan the owner of powderguides, buddy books us cheap accommodations one block from the lift for the rest of our stay

Mika told us much later that due to breakdown in communication they were expecting a man and wife to show up so when we show up they think we were a gay couple but being very poright ... they say nothing

pretty funny eh

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    another question that I, as JONG, was unable to answer with the search function:
    Is there a avalanche bulletin for (parts of) Hokkaido? If so where to look at it (online? resorts?) Might there be even something english?
    This is a very controversial topic in Hokkaido. The level of avalanche safety knowledge in Japan is widely regarded as about 20 years behind the times.

The reason(s) for this include a closed culture, Japanese sense of superiority, and general lack of established Japanese mountain guides with international training.

Niseko Resort is one example of an organization that has attempted to issue a safety bulletin.

You can find the reports at
    http://niseko.nadare.info

These are not the same as reports you might find in Europe or North America. They are often subjective. They sometimes include misleading information targeted to beginners or tourists.

I have heard that Furano Resort is now issuing an avalanche report as well. Not sure about that, however.

The best way to gauge avalanche safety in Japan is to look at basic warning signs - lots of fresh snowfall on steep aspects, big wind slabs, spring glide cracks, snowfall on rain or sun crusts, and to watch for gullies and creeks - aka very common terrain traps.

If you emailed or called Black Diamond Tours, Rising Sun Guides, Hokkaido Powder Guides (northern Hokkaido), or Whiteroom Tours, you’d probably get the best info out there.

These companies conduct their own weather obs and ski all over the island. I have known or skied with all of them and can vouch.

Enjoy the Onsens!

How about typical mid-January temps? Sounds like it could be colder'n shit............or not? What have you experienced?

it might be next level dirtbag but some local buds rented a Honda fit which they slept in the whole time and mostly toured

there are onsens everyhwere so its easy to get cleaned up, i think they might have had a stove and there is good food everyhwere even in a 7-11

Thank you SUPERIOR for your help. I highly appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    How about typical mid-January temps? Sounds like it could be colder'n shit............or not? What have you experienced?
    in Hokkaido the lack of altitude means it doesn't really get that cold. mid Jan is -10c to -15c mostly.
    the wind chill is another story. but with good quality gear with recent tech i find i can mostly ignore it.