Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Oh yeah, in the parlance of our times: laps. A lot of them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What part(s) were fractured?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    every bit of the force
    Yoda skis in jeans.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What part(s) were fractured?
    They didn't go into that much today. "Both columns" was mentioned, I don't know what else. I have x-rays and ct scans on cd if you want to look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Did I miss the details somewhere on how this unfortunate incident happened?
    I think icemang was doing some kind of ski ballet and I guess he was holding mtngirl up above his head and he aired up and clipped a chair and was medivac'd back to the east coast so he could feed the dog and get buster's number for dibs.

looks like this thread went a long ways since he asked that...

Lack of paying attention mainly. Skiing with the wife, slowed and looked uphill to make sure she was going the right way, hit something -maybe my own pole- on the downhill side and went flying downhill sideways and landed right on my hip on a sheet of solid ice. I was bored with the 2 open runs and just done with it and definitely was not focused on what I was doing until it was too late.

The way I landed, every bit of the force came though the quarter-sized spot that hit the ground first , which was right on the bump on the outside of the hip. It drove the ball straight into the joint and exploderized the bone, the acetabula, that holds the joint. One in a million shot, doc.
    Ouch. Good luck on healing fast and true.

They didn't go into that much today. "Both columns" was mentioned, I don't know what else. I have x-rays and ct scans on cd if you want to look at them.
    Oh, shit. Have you made final arrangements?

Nah, just morbid curiosity. Severity is all over the place when looking at pelvic fractures online.

Apparently there's a a type of break that's way worse than this, where the pelvis is essentially snapped in half. This ain't good but that's like 20x worse as far as I understand it.

I was telling my doc today that the radiologist in UT called my break "very impressive" and he said the only thing worse than that is when the doc says it's "interesting".

Apparently there's a a type of break that's way worse than this, where the pelvis is essentially snapped in half. This ain't good but that's like 20x worse as far as I understand it.
    Those images came up in my search. Absolutely brutal. Good to hear that's not you.

I was telling my doc today that the radiologist in UT called my break "very impressive" and he said the only thing worse than that is when the doc says it's "interesting".
    Hah. I had some hip stuff a while back. Ortho said he was going to use my films in his presentations. That's when you know you're fucked.

I'm a little confused about the distinction between "hip" and "pelvis", this is an injury of the hip joint and surrounding structures but they keep calling it a broken pelvis. ::shrug::

Apparently the hip bones are part of the pelvis. There are a bunch of different bones that make up the pelvis. Sounds like you broke part of the hip(?)

To me, it seems like a hip injury but two different orthopedic surgeons 2000 miles apart called it a broken pelvis. Whatever, same result.

You can probably bill more for a pelvis fracture.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

That sucks. I messed up my shoulder last season standing waiting for someone and a wind gust blew me over to the downhill side.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Ice! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Bummed to hear that. Pelvic fractures are never enjoyable.

Heal up brotha, hoping for a speedy recovery and good drugs in the meantime. #postcountgonnasoar
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Been kinda busy and shit. Travel Sunday pretty much sucked. Trip to the ortho today, at least he agreed with te UT doc so it's no surgery, "toe touch" weight only until ~6 weeks. I am beat the fuck up right now but will rally.
    I’m toe touch weight too, but only for another 3 1/2 weeks so looks like the advantage goes to me to be on the slopes first.

How in the hell did you travel with that kind of injury. Charter a flight? Business class?

Keep on fighting!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Lack of paying attention mainly. Skiing with the wife, slowed and looked uphill to make sure she was going the right way, hit something -maybe my own pole- on the downhill side and went flying downhill sideways and landed right on my hip on a sheet of solid ice. I was bored with the 2 open runs and just done with it and definitely was not focused on what I was doing until it was too late.

The way I landed, every bit of the force came though the quarter-sized spot that hit the ground first , which was right on the bump on the outside of the hip. It drove the ball straight into the joint and exploderized the bone, the acetabula, that holds the joint. One in a million shot, doc.

jesus, that's brutal. by chance, did you have your skis tuned at rei?

Hip is just lay terminology for the region that includes part of the pelvis and the joint created by the femoral head and acetabulum. I missed the bit about shattering the acetabulum. Any mention of replacement at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Any mention of replacement at this point?
    Doc yesterday is one of the top guys in DC, team ortho for the Wizards etc.. He's a friend of mine I went to college and played Rugby with and have known for 30+ years and I trust him completely, he says it's inevitable in both hips. He treated it like good news.

My other hip has bothered me for years (of course the one I fucked up is the one that hasn't bothered me at all), and it has definitely limited my mobility (well, my pain-free mobility, I can do anything but some of it fucking hurts), and he says I'm a perfect candidate, right age, health, strength, interests (and being able to pay for it is a factor I'm sure). Says it will change my life. So I guess that's coming up sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    jesus, that's brutal. by chance, did you have your skis tuned at rei?
    Class action?

I'm pretty sure Iceman rents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

iceman skis in a bodycast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    How in the hell did you travel with that kind of injury. Charter a flight? Business class?
    Went first-class, loaded up on Hydrocodone, Tylenol and Xanax and just did it.

Injury was a week ago, the toe-touch is the the 6-week mark, so 5 more weeks. I'm not that far behind you, watch out!

Doc yesterday is one of the top guys in DC, team ortho for the Wizards etc.. He's a friend of mine I went to college and played Rugby with and have known for 30+ years and I trust him completely, he says it's inevitable in both hips. He treated it like good news.

My other hip has bothered me for years (of course the one I fucked up is the one that hasn't bothered me at all), and it has definitely limited my mobility (well, my pain-free mobility, I can do anything but some of it fucking hurts), and he says I'm a perfect candidate, right age, health, strength, interests (and being able to pay for it is a factor I'm sure). Says it will change my life. So I guess that's coming up sooner than later.
    People i've talked to who have done it said their only regret was not doing it sooner...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    People i've talked to who have done it said their only regret was not doing it sooner...
    Same thing I've been told. The people who've done it are very active, mostly skiers and swear it was the best thing they've done for their skiing as adults.

Shit, no reason to let that broken, worn out hip heal. Just replace it with a new one now.