Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Board Games

Never got into board games as a child or adult, but I can play Yahtzee non-stop, forever. I do have a policy that I will not roll a single die without there being a wager of some sort on the line. Some have been, um, very creative.

Whenever I travel I always have a cup with a set of dice, and some double-sided score cards and a pen in it. I have a pdf that I print out when I run out.

Tired and true monopoly. Usta slaughter the family. then they wised up figured it out, pretty fair fight these days.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla Gorilla View Post
    I've been itching to try Axis and Allies...
    Try it! Thankfully they now have Axis and Allies 1941 which is the "Lite" version of the game. Plays in about 2 hours versus the standard 6+ hour marathon the other can take. I LOVE Axis and Allies but haven't played in decades because my last session literally lasted multiple days and I just can't sacrifice my dining table space like I could back in my bachelor days.

Wife and I are both a fan of Risk. A real classic and can get pretty brutal.

Seconded on Secret Hitler. Social engineering at its finest.

Bonus points because you can call other family members fascist scum for the rest of the day.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Wow “Scotland Yard” brings back memories.

“Ticket to Ride: Europe” is superior to the original IMHO - adds some complexity but is not a marathon game.

“Pandemic” is a fun cooperative game - everyone works together to try and wipe out the contagion before it overwhelms the world. Every game is different based on what “powers” each player gets randomly given from a deck of cards. What better gift to commemorate 2020?

As for me, I prefer bitcoin betting sites. Something like bitcoinbuster.com/bitcoin-betting
    My mate told me about it, and we’ve been betting together all week, it’s surprising how social it can be! They've been really innovative with their design lately, and have only been improving further and further.
    Last edited by martinmalk; 06-24-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Black font does not display well on a dark blue background
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Carcassonne.

gonna try a new one tonight. appreciate the recs here, Looking at scotland, catan, and ticket. Latter is winning, though the all-against-one dynamic of scotland is appealing. Catan looks complicated as shit. will come down to what is in the store.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    gonna try a new one tonight. appreciate the recs here, Looking at scotland, catan, and ticket. Latter is winning, though the all-against-one dynamic of scotland is appealing. Catan looks complicated as shit. will come down to what is in the store.
    Don't be afraid of Catan. It's actually surprisingly simple to grasp the rules and mechanics. One round and you'll know what's up. I've played with all sorts of beginners and everyone seems to pick it up quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I like Catan. But it is spendy. And all those expansion packs start to make it seem like a racket. Do want expansion packs.

+2 on Catan being easy to learn.

The only expansion that seemed worth it was Seafarers, but even then it didn't change the game a whole lot.

The 5-6 expansion can be worth it if you're going to be playing with more than 4 regularly.

My Boston family got us Boston Monopoly. Fackin dewd, it’s gunna be a wikkad night of fun kid. Donnie will probably pass out from too many Sammies.

If you have plenty of time (3-4hours) on your hands, want to hate everyone you play with, love intrigues and risk and settlers of Catan and hate dice (where in risk someone rolls 6s and kills your plans. This can not happen here) , THEN I would recommend the Iron throne board game. (from before the TV series became famous). It's the best thing I've ever played.

Definitely not for casual playing. Or kids. But soooo good.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Name:  560167_613862788745677_9213394443629107717_n.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  73.6 KB

We play a lot of Smart Ass and Scattergories. Otherwise it’s phase 10, canasta, Yahtzee And Skip Bo
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Went with Catan. First outing a solid 3.5 affair but fun.
    "Can't you see..."

We've been playing splendor lately. It's fun and over relatively quickly

Got introduced to Everdell tonight. It’s a bit confusing and intimidating to start, but we played with people that were familiar with the game, and could explain it to us. Can’t imagine what it’d be like to figure it out on your own, but my fuck is that a fun game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9591.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	355122

Name:	IMG_9584.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	355123

It got off the ground as a kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Went with Catan. First outing a solid 3.5 affair but fun.
    3.5 out of what? Glad you had fun tho

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Got introduced to Everdell tonight. It’s a bit confusing and intimidating to start, but we played with people that were familiar with the game, and could explain it to us. Can’t imagine what it’d be like to figure it out on your own, but my fuck is that a fun game.

Name:	IMG_9591.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	355122

Name:	IMG_9584.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	355123

It got off the ground as a kickstarter.
    Woah! That looks freaking awesome! Will have to look into that one.

Lots of good recos here. Also love Splendor, Terraforming Mars (complicated, but really a lot of simple systems layered on each other), Forbidden island and Small World (that one is easier on the iPad because of crazy tokens).

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    3.5 out of what? Glad you had fun tho

3.5 hour. Random word ommision FNR
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Carcassonne.
    ^^ that’s a good game. I used to belong to a winter “game night” group in Big Sky and that was a favorite in regular rotation.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I'll echo Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. For a card game, our family go-to was always Mille Bornes