Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Straight Whiskey (Makers or Bulleit) is the only answer for holiday with family. However, if someone is offering to make me a drink, I'll ask for a Manhattan, just to sound fancy, and less like a drunk. I will later sneak back into the bar and add whiskey to said Manhattan.

@KQ

So good I did it again

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post

I’m looking forward to a 1983 Cockburn over Christmas.

My GF and I are spending the holiday with friends, and he’s laying in some good stuff, including the vintage port. Lagavulin 16, Bowmore 18, and since he’s a bourbon drinker, I’m expecting something nice. I imagine the wine list will be similar quality, although that’s a little wasted on me. Except for the Vueve.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    A lot and often.
    Special for this Christmas dinner is a bottle of 1967 Chateau d'yquem for desert.
    Had a 1950 yquem last Christmas that was just stupid. It was more black than brown but had the most intriguing nose and palate. What a cool thing to drink 66yo wine and have it be delicious! Looking forward to your report.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    @KQ

So good I did it again

That looks fantastic!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    To compliment KQ's Holiday Baking thread, what is your family's go to drink for the Season? Do you stick with the normal stuff of beer and wine? Or, something special when guests arrive?

My mom has been making this for 40+ years, always remember the guests raving about it and asking for the recipe.

Mom’s Hot Buttered Rum Recipe

1 quart French Vanilla Ice Cream
    1 pound powdered sugar
    1 pound butter
    1 pound brown sugar
    2 teaspoon Nutmeg
    2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Let ice cream and butter sit until soft. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Freeze.

For each drink:
    3 tablespoons of batter
    1 shot of rum
    4 oz of hot water
    Sprinkle with Nutmeg
    I might have to try this only using maple syrup as a sweetener instead of the powdered/brown sugars.

Those Manhattans also look mighty good.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Just poured a 'perfect' Manhattan. Not bad

Anyone have strong opinions about Angostura vs. Fee Brothers Aromatic in their Manhattan?

When I had access to bottles at a bar my preffered Manhattan was 2 oz 6yr Pikesville rye, .75-1 oz Cocchi Barolo Chinato, and 2 dash of Ango. I am not the biggest fan of overproof gin in my martinis but love overproof whiskey in a Manhattan. Speaking of Christmas past, one of my favorite cheap booze combos to pass the time when returning east for the holidaze was white label Pikesville and Natty Boh.

Holiday Spritz

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

Thanksgiving (and Christmas) poses a unique challenge to drink pairing because it brings together a huge variety of foods on one table. No single wine, beer, or cocktail is going to be a bullseye pairing with all of them, but by looking at common themes we can build a cocktail that will complement and improve the meal. The classic thanksgiving table features many sweet foods (sweet potatoes, squash, cranberry sauce, and maybe even marshmallows) and as well as a lot of fatty foods (mashed potatoes, buttered rolls, dark turkey meat, and of course gravy). Both of these characteristics demand specific qualities in a drink.

The golden rule in pairing wine with sweet foods is that the wine must always be sweeter than the food. Try a bite of a sweet dessert and follow it with a sip of a dry red wine and the otherwise balanced wine will taste unpleasantly sour (no really, give it try and see for yourself). Red wine can be paired successfully with sweet desserts, but only if it’s something like port, which is sweeter than the dessert. So for holiday dinners we need a drink with a little sweetness. I add that here through small amounts of sweet vermouth and the liqueurs St. Germain and Aperol.

Fatty foods coat our tongues and dull our perception of many tastes. To counter that it helps if a drink has high acidity and carbonation. So the base of this drink is a dry white sparkling wine, such as Prosecco or cava. All of this adds up to a type of cocktail not often considered during colder months: the spritz. We tasted this drink with a spread of Thanksgiving foods and found that it paired nicely. If you give it a shot this holiday season let us know what you think in the comments.

MAKES 1 COCKTAIL

INGREDIENTS
    6 fluid ounces (¾ cup) sparkling dry white wine, chilled
    ¾ fluid ounce (4 teaspoons) St. Germain
    ½ fluid ounce (1 tablespoon) sweet vermouth
    ½ fluid ounce (1 tablespoon) Aperol
    2 to 3 ice cubes
    1 orange twist

INSTRUCTIONS

Headnote Cocktail recipes are classically presented in fluid ounces and measured with a jigger; in this recipe we’ve listed liquid ingredients in both fluid ounces and tablespoon/teaspoon measures. Dry Prosecco, cava, or American sparkling wine will all work well. The really good stuff will also work, but the rest of the ingredients in this drink will overwhelm any expensive subtleties. St. Germain is a sweet French liqueur flavored with elderflower. For the orange twist, take a ½-inch wide, 1½-inch long, shallow swipe of orange zest with a vegetable peeler, trying your best to avoid any of the unpleasantly bitter white pith that sits just below.

1. Combine sparkling wine and ice in wine glass. In small liquid measuring cup stir together St. Germain, sweet vermouth, and Aperol. Pour liqueur mixture over sparkling wine and gently stir once to combine. Holding orange twist over glass, gently fold lengthwise until oil sprays into cocktail. Place twist in cocktail and serve.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Aperol spritz is more of a summer cocktail for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Aperol spritz is more of a summer cocktail for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes, yes but they explain in detail why it makes a good pairing with holiday foods and admit it's not one people would normally consider.

And me? I'm drin-king . . .

Rumple Minze, by the shot
    Gin and tonic, yeah why not
    Black and Tan, that's my jam
    Irish whiskey I will slam
    Jägermeister, Hefenweisser
    Stella, Stoli and Budweiser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA378F3F-8980-4788-8DEA-E17B9B52AF7D.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	612.9 KB 
ID:	261039
    Stocking stuffers
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Also love a holiday brandy Alexander

Name:	62D3D495-B22A-4FE0-8421-09677CCCC31B.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	261040
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

Name:	FA378F3F-8980-4788-8DEA-E17B9B52AF7D.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	612.9 KB 
ID:	261039
    Stocking stuffers
    does the naughty person get the empty?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    ........ and I like my Manhattans perfect, please.
    Everything else is ...... not perfect. Makes me wonder about a perfect martini ....... naw.

When I was a younger man I used to chase bourbon shots with a pint glass of chilled straight Grey Goose. Which lead to the hilarious "it's fucking vodka man!". I can't do that anymore. I am lucky if I manage a couple of drinks in a month.

I’m going to give this a whirl at a friend’s party tonight.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/drink-...r-on-christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Bourbon and 5-10mg THC infused Ginger Beer = Magic Mule.

Say “bye bye”, Gracie.
    Dont threaten me with a good time
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

*making Manhattan*

Name:	IMG_3704.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1,015.4 KB 
ID:	261070
    Tada!!!

these were handed out at work yesterday, kinda cute but the woman is an evil bitch. I've got the rum handled, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rumcoke.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	261126  
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post

Name:	IMG_3704.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1,015.4 KB 
ID:	261070
    Tada!!!
    Best whiskey recipe I've seen.

I have been a fan of what I like to call a JK Willben (the four of us made it while slammed off a few bottles).

The ratio was:
    2 parts bourbon
    1 part chai liquor
    1 part RumChata
    2 parts half and half
    4 parts whole milk

Serve on ice.

I guess I could take photos, but we are ready. 1lb of White Widow bud. About 30 bottles of wine, a few cases of beer and shit loads of hard booze. And my mom wonders why we are all fucked up.
    Happy Holidays to the Maggots.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Normally I enjoy a bottle of Armagnac de Montal VSOP $57 cdn because for the money it smooth and never a hangover.

In Montreal for Christmas and I decided to try Domaine Tariquet Bas Armagnac VSOP $52 cdn and WoW

Both are amazing for the price but the Domaine Tariquet Bas Armagnac VSOP is absolutely delicious and smooth. Purchased a 2nd bottle to give as a gift. I might have to rethink that.
    Back to the store to buy more.