broken TIB/FIB with IMN on 14 year old from trampoline park!

JUST SAY NO to sky zone!!

Name:  IMG_4936.JPG
Views: 1789
Size:  75.3 KB

Just wanted to share my story, and give a HUGE thanks to all the stories on here about the IMN and all the tib-fib fractures.

My son, who is 6'2" and not even 15 yet, broke his TIB/fib on Nov 10 at sky zone in albany ny. He is an avid snowboarder getting 50-75 + days on the hill every year. He was planning on being a tipps instructor this year at our home mtn, Stratton...

Broke his Tib-fib just jumping on a trampoline. Came down HARD on sky zones " padded edges" and metal was exposed. Spiral fracture of the Tib. Got a bad case of compartment syndrome from the impact and had immediate emergency surgery just hours from accident at albany medical center, which we can't say enough good things about!

Doctors were able to check his growth plates during his faciotomy, and saw they were done growing. They highly advised at getting the IMN surgery, esp. since he is a big time snowboarder and he is 6'2 230 lbs... They described him as a tree and his break was in the trunk. Researching all the stories on here made it just a little bit easier at what would happen.

We're now 4 weeks from injury and surgery ( IMN was placed nov 13 ) Hospital stay was 4 nights. Discharged the day after imn surgery. 2 weeks of crutches and leg splint just over the knee spent most of the time in a recliner and inside house. Walking boot was 2 weeks ago with stitches removed at 2 week post op appt. walking boot & crutches and immediate physical therapy start of 2x a week. Up and down stairs in boot on week 3. School started back up week 3 from surgery, and gym everyday given the go ahead by therapist week 3

Yesterday, he started walking without the boot on! It's a slow walk, inside the house, but, it's out of the boot and he's cruising around the house. This is week 4! We have a goal of no walking boot by christmas. Thats 6 weeks from IMN surgery. His doctor says everyone is different, and the ones that work hard with therapy seem to get back to normal quicker.

Going to the gym an hour everyday was the turning point. Today, he kneeled on the floor looking for something under the christmas tree, and didn't realize what he was doing because there was no pain. I told him it may be months before he could kneel, and he just did it. He has the IMN through his tibia, with 2 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom. He takes tylenol in the am/pm, a 1 a day vitamin, calcium sup as well as glucosamine/msm

Name:  IMG_5037.JPG
Views: 562
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5030.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  123.1 KB

Thanks to this board, we were very prepared for what could get thrown at him during his journey. Got him a patella tendon brace for potential knee pain and read him everyones stories on their breaks and also possible future removals of rod. His Dr. is telling him if he works hard on muscle recovery, he will be back on his snowboard this winter no problem. Of coarse his young age has a lot to do with bouncing back quickly however working hard at getting the muscles back and working out daily makes getting back to normal easier. Without everyones stories and ideas on this board we would not have been informed on what to do or expect...Reading personal journeys at getting back has been a godsend, so thanks!!

So, don't count him out this winter...He will be working the mtn, not as an urchin boarding instructor as planned, but he will be scanning tickets and interacting with his friends and guests at the mtn. He is just happy to be able to do this as he thought he'd originally be inside all winter

Ouch. Onward and upward

Trampolines are like ATM machines for orthopedists.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great kid. Given his age, he'll bounce back in no time. Pretty amazing what bodies do at that age. Best wishes to him.

And, what Aaron said, trampolines = ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    he'll bounce back in no time
    nice

How is he 6’2” and not even 15???
    What do you guys feed him??

Must be something special in your household diet for him to recover this quickly, too!

Happy for you guys everything worked out and he might be able to save some winter!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Trampolines are like ATM machines for orthopedists.
    as are ski resorts.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    as are ski resorts.
    Eh, non of the orthopods I work with cringe at ski areas like they do trampolines. We see a lot more injuries from trampolines than from skiiing and we're get most of the injuries from two ski areas in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Eh, non of the orthopods I work with cringe at ski areas like they do trampolines. We see a lot more injuries from trampolines than from skiiing and we're get most of the injuries from two ski areas in winter.
    Well, the orthopods I work with will happily withdraw cash from either ATM. atleast the ski resorts donate the hospitals in their catchment.

Just keep the kid away from bikes ... and football. they are the two leading sources of injury for kids in north america.

Just keep the kid away from bikes ... and football. they are the two leading sources of injury for kids in north america.
    Yes. Because there are as many trampolines as bikes and footballs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yes. Because there are as many trampolines as bikes and footballs.
    I don't know, it's actually really hard to pull national stats on injuries, and severity along with total numbers of participation...and then the thought of trying to normalize those stats, no thanks. But if you have the actual numbers, I would love to see them. Over 4 million kids get hurt in the pursuit of recreation each year in north america.

My original comment was more directed at the "stay away from sky zone" opening salvo. to say someone should avoid one potentially dangerous activity, while participating in another is just a bit silly.

I was thinking more along the lines of the ubiquitous Walmart or Costco trampoline down here.

My wife, who was a DI college gymnast and a gymnastic coach and judge, thinks tramps are for people with proper training and supervision training for their sports, as seems to be the case here. Not toys in the backyard. I, who have absolutely no qualification and would hurt myself just trying to get on a trampoline, agree.

Glad your boy is healing up so well. Sounds like he's built to be a downhiller, not a snowboarder. He must be quite the athlete to be an instructor. Good luck to him.

yes, he really is 6'2", and wears a sz 14 shoe.... crazy right? loves protein too. it's on my wife side, tall men.

been snowboarding since age 7. Competes in boarder cross, and his size helps him here. He broke his collarbone this past Jan too. Was back on snow in 21 days with this injury tho. Loves the sport, and lives for it. His dr is telling him he'll be back on snow this winter, which is hard to see right now....

He has trained on an olympic trampoline. He's not new to trampolines either. Sky zone tho calibrates them much differently than these, and they are MUCH smaller and tighter. More for a smaller, lighter person or kid to bounce. He's learned his lesson to stay away from the trampolines. Amazing that once you have this injury, and say its from a trampoline park, everyone seems to know someone or have a family member who has had injury too. His ped. orth told us that sky zone keeps them in business, so yes they are like an atm

Quote Originally Posted by Typestries View Post
    yes, he really is 6'2", and wears a sz 14 shoe.... crazy right? loves protein too. it's on my wife side, tall men.

been snowboarding since age 7. Competes in boarder cross, and his size helps him here. He broke his collarbone this past Jan too. Was back on snow in 21 days with this injury tho. Loves the sport, and lives for it. His dr is telling him he'll be back on snow this winter, which is hard to see right now....

He has trained on an olympic trampoline. He's not new to trampolines either. Sky zone tho calibrates them much differently than these, and they are MUCH smaller and tighter. More for a smaller, lighter person or kid to bounce. He's learned his lesson to stay away from the trampolines. Amazing that once you have this injury, and say its from a trampoline park, everyone seems to know someone or have a family member who has had injury too. His ped. orth told us that sky zone keeps them in business, so yes they are like an atm
    Boarder cross racer built like a linebacker. Hardly seems fair.

<snip>

Just keep the kid away from bikes ...
    Never, ever, ever, EVER discourage any kid from riding bikes. NEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Boarder cross racer built like a linebacker. Hardly seems fair.
    ha! he has beat out the local mtn school kids too. broke his collarbone in jan practicing for event. good news for these kids is that he won't be back competing till jan 19 in b'cross