Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Raueda - I have $20 says your gonna feel right at home here. Just a great opportunity to ski the best of JH. Arguably the best way to burn the dough.

Geez the village is dead. Fucking awesome. Kinda hardpackish with a little warm-up happening. Skinny chalklines down the bowl to a veritable DH run for about 3500' vert. Tram laps.
    Outta the way schooler!
    BTW-for now the cooler is definitely 3 diamond skiing as it hasn't filled in enough. Skiable, yes. Megaballs required, yes. Open, no.

Pulling tubes in the cave, watching the junkshow unfold in front of us circa 1996 - memories...man, I'm getting up there.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Could someone who has been to both Jackson and Breck tell me how Corbets compares to the lake chutes in terms of pucker factor.

I am trying to ascertain how good / bad a skier I would be considered by tgr standards
    If you don't heli the chugach, you suck by TGR standards.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Carpet View Post
    Better be in shape.
    That's good advice there gents.

As expensive as skiing is- travel, lodging, gear, lift tickets/ski school for the kids, etc. - it boggles the mind... I'm amazed by the skiers who'll gamble away $12k on a ski trip to Jackson and are out of shape. If you want a fun weekend skiing with the bros in JH- start riding your bike and hiking up hill now. Wearing your boots a few times a week is a big help.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    You and me both...
    You, him, and me thrice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You, him, and me thrice.
    I really wanted to go the last year they did it but Gordy's camp was during the inaugural BBI.

JH Steep and Deep

These camps used to be called steep skiing camps and I’ve done five. I did my 1st in ‘95? Anyway, the reason was lift tickets were $60 back then, and for $40 more a day you got to do first tram, (the pre-public one), and got lift cutting privileges all day. My buddies and I were going to ski Jackson those weeks anyway, so why not?
    Like others have said, be in shape, be prepared, (all your equipment should be dialed in), and you’ll have a blast.
    Take pictures during the downtime and do a TR. Or don’t come back here.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If you die, you will be in a better place. That is once the spring comes and they can find your body. But once they find you, you will be in a better place, prior to that, not so much. If you happen to love coffins or urns you will love it, such a good place, the best.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    That would be my biggest concern at one of those camps. If you want to get the most out of it you need to be able at your peak all day. Start getting sloppy due to fatigue and your rate of gain will plummet.
    My concern too. But by then I ought to have 20+ ski days logged and my gear is dialed.

[Sidebar comment on conditioning: For the last 6 or 7 years my primary ski partner has been a guy that was an instructor/guide/PSIA examiner at Alta for 20+ years. Incredible skier, always smooth and composed regardless of terrain and conditions. I've learned a lot, kind of like a private coach for 3 days a week season after season. Anyway, he taught me how to breathe and it changed everything. Easy to say, hard to do. My EFFICIENCY just went through the roof. We lap the lifts at AltaBird, no stops at all, no huffing and puffing at the bottom. Terrain and conditions don't matter much. To be sure, part of the no-stops thing is knowing the terrain well enough to know exactly where the line is and what's behind every corner. But without the breathing it would still be a helluva lot harder. I don't know if anybody teaches breathing technique outside of a racing context. If they don't they should, but until you get to a certain point I can imagine that people have bigger concerns. ]

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Could someone who has been to both Jackson and Breck tell me how Corbets compares to the lake chutes in terms of pucker factor.

I am trying to ascertain how good / bad a skier I would be considered by tgr standards
    The pucker with Corbets is the hudge drop in. Any expert skier could ski the actual couloir.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

any beginner skier could ski the groomer exit run

Any novice can ride the magic carpet

any skier can shit his drawers standing on the rim

I just shit my pants at work.

This thread is cracking me up and taking me back. Here’s a picture from that first camp:

Ooohhh how I miss the days of the one piece ski outfit...!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This thread is cracking me up and taking me back. Here’s a picture from that first camp:
    is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    is that you?
    Yup. A cool benefit of the camps is the photographer.

I did my 1st in ‘95?
    Wife & I did one of the '95 camps. I wonder if we met. I can't remember the dates, but I'm pretty sure Doug got banned during that camp.

Do you remember who you had for instructors?

Yup. A cool benefit of the camps is the photographer.
    awesome

if that were me, i'd have made a poster size print of it and hung it next to my front door
    what? oh, that? you noticed it, huh?
    yeah, that's me

i think they run you down the various chutes, like tower 3 and xyz shit

sounds fun
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Wife & I did one of the '95 camps. I wonder if we met. I can't remember the dates, but I'm pretty sure Doug got banned during that camp.

Do you remember who you had for instructors?
    Yes, I was at that camp. The first camp I did was the second year he did them, and it was the second of 3 camps that season. I don't remember which camp that was, because the 4 camps in JH I did all had Doug, then the next year I did one with him in LG. After Doug the camps started using Moe as I recall. I gave Doug a ton of shit for getting booted. The instructors all run together, (on which instructors for which camp). The first camp I had Tom Bennet, Nato and Rick Armstrong, as I recall, and I skied with Doug and Theo and Theo's Powder 8 partner, (Dave Miller?), on the last day. That first camp I had my 2 non-mag friends and one or 2 other guys in my group.

I wouldn’t recognize you without Kedar.
    Made me laugh.

JH Steep and Deep

OK, now I'm having flashbacks. I'm going to tell a story. Maybe I'll delete it.

It was cool to get on the pre-public box and hear the patrol report, etc. with these really great skiers. Kinda smirking at the general public on a powder day as you walk past as they've all been freezing on the deck.

We're all smashed in there, (it was the old smaller car), so I'm smashed up against Doug and whoever else. This one guy next to Doug lifts his hand up and reaches over to sort of flick at Doug’s upper lip. Doug looks at him, kinda like "What the fuck?", and the guy says, "Oh you had a hair on your lip". Doug says without missing a beat: "Was it red?"
    Last edited by plugboots; 12-14-2017 at 12:14 AM.

LMFAO - thanks for that. he was a wry one. Heya Em.

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    My concern too. But by then I ought to have 20+ ski days logged and my gear is dialed.

[Sidebar comment on conditioning: For the last 6 or 7 years my primary ski partner has been a guy that was an instructor/guide/PSIA examiner at Alta for 20+ years. Incredible skier, always smooth and composed regardless of terrain and conditions. I've learned a lot, kind of like a private coach for 3 days a week season after season. Anyway, he taught me how to breathe and it changed everything. Easy to say, hard to do. My EFFICIENCY just went through the roof. We lap the lifts at AltaBird, no stops at all, no huffing and puffing at the bottom. Terrain and conditions don't matter much. To be sure, part of the no-stops thing is knowing the terrain well enough to know exactly where the line is and what's behind every corner. But without the breathing it would still be a helluva lot harder. I don't know if anybody teaches breathing technique outside of a racing context. If they don't they should, but until you get to a certain point I can imagine that people have bigger concerns. ]
    Only time I have trouble breathing at Alta is when I'm choking on pow

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app